Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 03:11 PM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I actually more think they're just not saying what kind it is out of privacy at the moment.

After all, you don't treat cancer without knowing what kind it is, and.. He's starting treatment.

You don't use testicular cancer drugs on lung cancer... You know what kind of cancer before you treat it. And, just because it's in one place doesn't mean that's where it started.

It is rather curious that they announced the prostate procedure, but.. The location of the cancer seems to be getting the hush-hush treatment. I'd say no matter what, someone in his position, being as open as possible is for the best. Not only to help the press and all just leave him alone but also to serve as an example to others about having testing done and what to look for.

Again, I presume bladder cancer as it can resemble prostate problems, which we know he just had a procedure on. Sounds like they went in to do that and.. "Oh crap!" discovered that the prostate wasn't the problem or wasn't the ONLY problem.

Bladder cancer isn't overly rare or anything, but.. not a whole lot of people you can point to who had it. Sinatra did but died of a heart attack. The only one that I knew of without searching was the professional wrestler John Tenta (Earthquake, Golga, a few other gimmicks).. On a search, Jack Lemmon, Telly Savalas, Andy Williams, Hubert Humphrey, Dominick Dunne, and Allen Ludden all turned up as having died from it.

Think there might be something of a stigma to it. Not sure why.. I mean, it can happen to anyone. But, as with many things, once you get anything that involves the area south of the belt and north of the legs.. People tend to get uncomfortable talking about it.
The doctor I listened to speculated that it could very well be bladder cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 04:28 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Who would that be? He is married to the "love of his life" from everything that I have read.
After living 40 or 50 years without her. That's not ideal, in most people's views.

As for "discovered in time," if it's bladder cancer, it still carries a poor prognosis.

Old 02-06-2024, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
If they caught it in time, Charles could have a really long life. Both of his parents made it to almost 100 and his grandmother did.

It's kind of interesting that three members of the royal family have been ill lately. Sarah Ferguson may not officially count. She has had breast cancer and now melanoma. Kate's condition is undisclosed and may be a hysterectomy or cancer. They have all been a pretty healthy group up until recently.
Having to constantly deal with the Harkles probably took the stuffing out of all of them, including the queen.

Old 02-06-2024, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Think there might be something of a stigma to it. Not sure why.. I mean, it can happen to anyone. But, as with many things, once you get anything that involves the area south of the belt and north of the legs.. People tend to get uncomfortable talking about it.
I seem to recall excessive alcohol intake being one of the suspected contributory factors (alcoholics tend to get it), or maybe it's just because it's the royal "privates" (although the prostate certainly is, too, if not more so).

Old 02-06-2024, 04:42 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
The doctor I listened to speculated that it could very well be bladder cancer.

Just makes sense.. That's the area they were poking around in (so to speak) the other day. and.. Bladder cancer and prostate problems can present the same symptoms. Difficulty urinating, intermittent stream, incomplete emptying, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
After living 40 or 50 years without her. That's not ideal, in most people's views.

As for "discovered in time," if it's bladder cancer, it still carries a poor prognosis.
bladder cancer caught early has about a 71% 5 year.. Which.. "3 out of 4 ain't bad"?

I'm sure if I were in his shoes, those odds would alternate between good and bad, pending on the emotional state at the time.

There's better odds, but there's far worse as well.. Take something like pancreatic cancer.. The norm on it is more Michael Landon(3 months) than Alex Trebek(~1 year). 5 years is pretty much a pipe dream, other than the specific kind that Steve Jobs had.. He got himself a whipple and it bought him quite a bit of time.

When it comes to cancer.. A fighting chance is about the best you can hope for. And it seems he probably does have that.

Old 02-06-2024, 04:59 PM

7,004 posts, read 4,811,992 times
Quote:
I seem to recall excessive alcohol intake being one of the suspected contributory factors (alcoholics tend to get it), or maybe it's just because it's the royal "privates" (although the prostate certainly is, too, if not more so).
It’s actually smoking that is the big one. Smokers tend to get it, not so much alcoholics.
One of the first questions the urologist asks is “are you or have you ever been a smoker?”

Old 02-06-2024, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
It’s actually smoking that is the big one. Smokers tend to get it, not so much alcoholics.
One of the first questions the urologist asks is “are you or have you ever been a smoker?”
They always ask that about everything. Smoking is the big bugaboo!

I happen to know because I had a family member who was alcoholic and died of bladder cancer and it (alcohol) was implicated at the time as a carcinogen. It Is also associated with esophageal cancer.

Or at least it WAS.

Old 02-06-2024, 06:12 PM

Quote:

I happen to know because I had a family member who was alcoholic and died of bladder cancer and it (alcohol) was implicated at the time as a carcinogen. It Is also associated with esophageal cancer.

Or at least it WAS.
Had not read that about alcohol & Bladder Cancer, but there’s definitely a correlation between smoking and Bladder Cancer. Also heavy chemical contact.

But yeah, if you’re female the questions are 1. When was your last period? 2. Are you a smoker? 3. How much alcohol do you drink? Regardless of why you’re there, lol.

Old 02-06-2024, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Or at least it WAS.
I had not read that about bladder cancer & alcohol, but there’s definitely a correlation between bladder cancer & smoking. Also heavy chemical contact.

Yeah, they do ask that every time. And if you’re female, it’s “when was your last period, do you smoke, do you drink?” regardless of why you’re there, lol.

Old 02-06-2024, 06:24 PM

Wow I posted that 3 times, sorry! CD won’t let me delete two in a row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events