Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 12:18 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times

Advertisements

I almost always stay with the general population in my happy spot. You can pretty much count on the established locals not being in support of the gangs and their shady dealings.

Over the years I've made casual friends and get the current safety tips. I feel safer in the neighborhoods than I do in a resort full of strangers. Probably because as a woman traveling alone I don't stay at the family-style resorts or there would be no one to talk to!

There are some gangs that have plants in the resorts who call them when they've set someone up with a recommendation.
Then the deal goes - "Yes, we're friends with your bartender at the resort. We'll take good care of you, give you discounts, whatever." I sat for a while in a park one afternoon and watched staff of a "jewelry store" intercept the taxis at the stop sign there which their cohort had already signaled would be coming by.

Besides checking the US Government warnings I also glance at the local newspaper there at least once a month to stay up to date on what's going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2024, 01:39 PM

9,866 posts, read 4,638,421 times
Predators love tourists let alone two women tourists. They know they have money and their attitude won't be someone on guard all the time. Also many place although a tourist spot for decades are not the same tourist hot spot of years ago. Attitudes of changed including those of criminals are frequently much more bold.

And just a side note I never understood getting drunk on vacation especially in tropical resort or places with awesome scenery and sites. One can drink anytime but they can't be in awesome weather & environment or in the presence of history ie famous locations. Yes one is vacation but why waste time sleeping off a night out or trip to a bar.

Old 02-11-2024, 05:48 AM

7,917 posts, read 3,458,721 times
Married women shouldn't be going on trips like this without their husbands.

Old 02-11-2024, 02:23 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Married women shouldn't be going on trips like this without their husbands.
Should married men not go on hunting or fishing weekends with their buddies unless their wives come along?

Old 02-11-2024, 03:09 PM

17,166 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Should married men not go on hunting or fishing weekends with their buddies unless their wives come along?
Don’t you know by now that women should stay home, cook and clean, and only go outside to attend church with husband (her master) and the kids?

Old 02-11-2024, 04:21 PM

25,729 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Two women alone in a foreign country in a bar setting, are much more vulnerable then Two men are in the woods hunting, or on a fishing boat.

That is not sexist, its just fact.

I feel bad for these women, but they did not have their guards up. They were careless, and paid the price.

I'm glad they caught the perp, and hope they catch all involved and they all get full prosecuton & sentencing.

I'm glad it was made public so others can learn by their mistakes, or not go to this place at all.

Old 02-11-2024, 08:06 PM

7,917 posts, read 3,458,721 times
Quote:
I knew a guy who claimed he got drugged and raped by a deer on a hunting trip once but I'm pretty sure he was lying.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:08 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,150,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I knew a guy who claimed he got drugged and raped by a deer on a hunting trip once but I'm pretty sure he was lying.

That actually would not surprise me. About the alleged attack, not the lying.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Considering that there are way more injuries/fatalities during hunting/fishing weekends than on trips to the islands, it probably would be a good idea for wives to tag along to ensure that safety practices are observed.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:31 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
Hate to say it but Nassau is a $#!# hole. It's been a few years but that was always a "clear in" port and fuel stop on our way to other locations. Now, I would go out because I like "going local" (yea, bald white man going local in the Bahamas LOL!) but one must keep their guard up. Now, I love the "out islands in the Bahamas but they aren't the easiest access. I was just lucky in my past career in that I got to see a lot of those places while crewing on sportfishers on someone else's dime.

One thing I find kind of funny, though it's necessary because of customs/immigration and deep water, but cruise ships always seem to stop off at the crapiest locations. There are a few exceptions but typical ports in small island countries are not in the best locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events