Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 02:14 PM

10,097 posts, read 14,965,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Note...2 weeks after the State Dept put out a warning.

People really need to check stuff out before they do international travel.
The world is becoming a less safer place.
Maybe but statistically women that are assaulted in trips abroad are negligible, more so when the assult is done by someone that isn't her husband or boyfriend.

I find it hard to believe they were the only two women traveling in that cruise. Thrn again, you do have to wonder how many women went on that same cruise during the past year or teo that had similar problems before it happened to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2024, 02:17 PM

10,097 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
That is an issue everywhere........NYC could have a spiked drink
Anyone can even be shot in Times Square.

As bad as the situation is with the two ladies cited in the OP, you still need to have senses and see the dimeneion of the problem before deciding that is general. It's safe to say that 99.9% of American women that go abroad on vacation return to the USA in one pieace, alive and with positive memories. Even more telling is how many of those women are planning to visit again the same place.

As horrible as it sound, most likely someone is being raped right now in NYC, Miami, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Chicago, New Orleans, maybe even down the street from some posters here as soon they finish their post.

Old 02-09-2024, 02:45 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I find it hard to believe they were the only two women traveling in that cruise. Thrn again, you do have to wonder how many women went on that same cruise during the past year or teo that had similar problems before it happened to them.
They were friends, I think their "spidey sense" was down when a Resort Employee offered them 1/2 price drinks (2 for 1). This wasn't a random guy on the beach. I think they felt if they were together they would be ok, until they both get knocked out by the drinks

Resort says the video disagrees but the bruises/the sedatives and the cops disagree (they arrested the resort employees).

Old 02-09-2024, 05:10 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Different version of events.

"But the Royal Bahamian Police hit back on Wednesday night, insisting that they treat all sexual assaults 'with the highest level of professionalism, privacy and sensitivity'.

Emergency Medical Services offered medical assistance to the victims, which they declined, signing a waiver and then leaving for their cruise ship in a private vehicle.

'Recognizing the gravity of the incident, our officers boarded the cruise ship, providing a sexual assault kit and hospital form to the ship's medical doctor and obtained signed statements from the victims.

The US State Department issued two travel warnings for the country at the end of January advising 'extreme caution' after a spate of daylight murders and sexual assaults.'"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nation_desktop

Maybe checking the warnings from the State Department should be part of every traveler's "leaving home" routine.

Old 02-09-2024, 05:36 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Hm.

Video from Pirate's Cove (the resort) and video the women took of themselves contradicts their claims.

https://www.facebook.com/ZNSNorthern...5042265652447/

Old 02-09-2024, 10:42 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
I was on a cruise last year that included a stop at Nassau, Bahamas. I've heard enough about issues there that we all stayed aboard the ship. I have to admit, the view of the city and the island from the deck of the ship was very appealing. But I've long known that some very pleasant-looking places have dark underbellies.

Old 02-10-2024, 03:17 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,152,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This kind of thing has been going on for decades now at resorts in the Dominican Republic, too. And women can be snatched and left for dead even if there's no alcohol involved. Everyone be careful. I'd avoid those places altogether, myself.

I worked with someone from the Dom Rep.

It's true. Any island nation with a lot of poverty can be a dicey place to visit.

Reputable resorts screen their employees. Just saying.

Old 02-10-2024, 05:40 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Looks like they were bruised badly based on the photos.

The hotel of course is trying to deny the allegations, but seems like the women are being truthful. And not only that resort but that area in general isn't exactly the safest for visitors.

https://www.insideedition.com/2-wome...-bahamas-85927

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jepygOgvxsc
Just to clarify, I believe the staff members were not from the hotel they were from the cruise ship. They were on an excursion. The girls were on Cuomo the other night via video.

Old 02-10-2024, 08:45 AM

17,202 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I was on a cruise last year that included a stop at Nassau, Bahamas. I've heard enough about issues there that we all stayed aboard the ship. I have to admit, the view of the city and the island from the deck of the ship was very appealing. But I've long known that some very pleasant-looking places have dark underbellies.
The majority of the city is quite sketchy. The place that isn’t is Paradise Island, and that’s because it is fully Americanized, which defeats the purpose of going to a foreign country if just sticking to a place specifically built for American tourists.
I enjoyed visiting the actual city of Nassau when I went. The people were authentic, working class, got to see the different ways of life, etc. definitely had a strong air of poverty throughout, and lots of people trying to sell me drugs.

Old 02-10-2024, 09:01 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
This is a shame. Bahamas used to feel very safe when I went a couple of times 20 years or so ago.

Lol, the first time I went, to Nassau, my friend and I wandered out in the morning to see the city streets. We turned down one block and saw a building guarded by two men in camo carrying some pretty scary-looking weapons.

We retreated back to the main street. Later we asked a hotel staff person what that heavily-guarded building was.

"Oh, that's the American Embassy."

Anyway, there was no sense of it being dangerous then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events