Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 07:43 AM

17,318 posts, read 22,065,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That wouldn't tip you off to a predator. Most predators are people in the kids lives that they know and trust. This guy lived a normal life, good job, probably coached sports, etc. You wouldn't know even if you lived next door and got together with them 3 times a week.
Dennis Rader was a church council member and boy scout leader, of course he was the BTK killer as a "side gig"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 07:44 AM

17,318 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
Parents don’t seem to be into sleepovers as much anymore, an exception being supervised church lock-ins, and cases like these will reinforce this trend.
Yeah because church folks never do anything wrong........

Old 03-07-2024, 08:07 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Dennis Rader was a church council member and boy scout leader, of course he was the BTK killer as a "side gig"
His own daughter had no clue.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:31 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,141,307 times
Quote:

Solo dad sleepover..............ummm no chance
I get it, but as the father of a young daughter, this saddens me.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:46 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Yeah because church folks never do anything wrong........
Supervised is the key here. Many parents are involved in the all night supervision. At least that is the way it is in my community. I would seriously doubt they would all be in cahoots with engaging in inappropriate criminal predatory behavior.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:15 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
Parents don’t seem to be into sleepovers as much anymore, an exception being supervised church lock-ins, and cases like these will reinforce this trend.
I grew up in the 80s and 90s going to and hosting sleepovers with friends, and it never occurred to any of us that such a terrible thing was possible. At my house, my dad stayed out of the way other than to tell dumb jokes. My friends' dads would set up a movie project or a campfire or make us pancakes in the morning. Danger was not on our radar.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-07-2024 at 11:35 AM..

Old 03-07-2024, 11:26 AM

2,666 posts, read 1,189,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It raises an interesting question. If you were the parent of one of the girls (I'm asking everyone hypothetically, not just Dave), would you have her examined for signs of S.A.? The examination can be as traumatizing for a young tween as the act itself, and if she has no memory of an attack, is it maybe better for her to continue not knowing? Of course monitor her for STDs and pregnancy, treat prophylactically if desired. But other than additional charges against the father, what else is there to be gained by examining them?
I'm thinking a Doctor would have them sedated for any OBGYN exam. Blood tests no. This way it would not be traumatizing for them.

When I was young and went to a sleepover my friends two Brothers were not there. They left the house for the night and her Mother slept in the room next to us without a door. That was the only reason my Father allowed the sleepover he knew what happens to many young girls in sleepovers. This is what should have been done when those girls had a sleepover. Make sure the Father and Brothers are not home that evening.

Last edited by staystill; 03-07-2024 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: He pled not guilty. Police reports, Hospital verification I hope they fry him.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:54 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I'm thinking a Doctor would have them sedated for any OBGYN exam. Blood tests no. This way it would not be traumatizing for them.

When I was young and went to a sleepover my friends two Brothers were not there. They left the house for the night and her Mother slept in the room next to us without a door. That was the only reason my Father allowed the sleepover he knew what happens to many young girls in sleepovers. This is what should have been done when those girls had a sleepover. Make sure the Father and Brothers are not home that evening.
I have never heard of that.

Old 03-07-2024, 12:05 PM

1,921 posts, read 908,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I have never heard of that.

Yes, that's weird and costly for no reason. Twelve year old girls should have had their first OB/GYN visit by now.

Old 03-07-2024, 12:32 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Make sure the Father and Brothers are not home that evening.
As a father, it is inexpressibly sad to me that some people might think their daughters wouldn't be safe in my house unless I went away. Every parent needs to do what they feel is best for their kids, I understand that. But this kind of guilt by association is very saddening for those of us men who don't molest their daughter's friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events