Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:57 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Up until about a generation ago, Southern Baptists were taught the Curse of Ham, so those types of views don't exactly die easily. When I lived in The Metroplex, I was reminded by some of the lovely locals how they believed that blacks are a cursed race. I'm sorry what happened to the OP, but it doesn't surprise me either.
You were not dealing with Southern Baptists, you were dealing with Mormons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blacks_...Saint_movement

No Southern Baptist I have ever ran into believed that, hell many Black people are Southern Baptists themselves.

Anyways if the DFW area was so racist, than how come it made these lists?

Hispanic Magazine (http://www.hispaniconline.com/HispanicMag/2008_08/Feature-Cities.html - broken link)

The Ten Best Cities for African Americans | Young Black Professional Guide (http://ybpguide.com/2007/04/18/the-ten-best-cities-for-african-americans/ - broken link)

Not bad for a "racist" city.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:17 PM

419 posts, read 998,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
You were not dealing with Southern Baptists, you were dealing with Mormons.

Black people and the Latter Day Saint movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No Southern Baptist I have ever ran into believed that, hell many Black people are Southern Baptists themselves.

Anyways if the DFW area was so racist, than how come it made these lists?

Hispanic Magazine (http://www.hispaniconline.com/HispanicMag/2008_08/Feature-Cities.html - broken link)

The Ten Best Cities for African Americans | Young Black Professional Guide (http://ybpguide.com/2007/04/18/the-ten-best-cities-for-african-americans/ - broken link)

Not bad for a "racist" city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by expected response from undercooked logic/overcooked oatmeal
Those magazines are a white man's conspiracy. All white religious people look, act and believe alike. But I'm not prejudiced -- they are.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:56 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAPRESIDENT View Post
Oh yes, you know me so well. You forgot the part where I say I no longer eat Rice Krispies because the "Snap! Crackle! Pop!" reminds me of my ancestors being whipped If we're going to make crazy exaggerations, go hard or go home! I guess you thought I was one of those ex-con militants that sit around all day and come up with this stuff at random? I'm crazy, but I'm not that crazy

Those publications are created by minorities, so no "white man conspiracy" there. While I don't think that Dallas is that great of a city for blacks, I know my opinion is not a popular one, and I'm fine with that. I can only go by my experiences.

@Diablo, thank you for reminding me about the Latter Day Saints. I forgot we weren't even considered human to them until the late 60's.

BTW, I no longer adhere to any religion, I find it to be an effective tool to keep people mentally enslaved and compliant, especially the version of Christianity that was beaten into black people, but that's a topic for another day.

@Momof2: I was referring to that raid at Club Dallas a few weeks back, not the bar in FW. And it was one of best friends that still lives in the city, a gay white man that told me that. See, Oatmeal has friends of all races and ethnicities, and orientation. Matter of fact, I'm about to go to dinner with one of my Korean homegirls this evening after I go to the gym for on afternoon run on the treadmill as men (and women) of all races ogle at my beauty.

As you see, I can't be defined by being placed into one neat little box, I'm all over the place. Now we've gone off topic a bit too much, and it's getting late, so toodles for now lovemuffins!

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 11-02-2010 at 02:18 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 02:41 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
I just hate it when the handful of nut jobs and crackpots from a city dictate how people define it. Not just Dallas, any city has those.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:02 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,270,398 times
Quote:
Oh yes, you know me so well. You forgot the part where I say I no longer eat Rice Krispies because the "Snap! Crackle! Pop!" reminds me of my ancestors being whipped If we're going to make crazy exaggerations, go hard or go home! I guess you thought I was one of those ex-con militants that sit around all day and come up with this stuff at random? I'm crazy, but I'm not that crazy

Those publications are created by minorities, so no "white man conspiracy" there. While I don't think that Dallas is that great of a city for blacks, I know my opinion is not a popular one, and I'm fine with that. I can only go by my experiences.

@Diablo, thank you for reminding me about the Latter Day Saints. I forgot we weren't even considered human to them until the late 60's.

BTW, I no longer adhere to any religion, I find it to be an effective tool to keep people mentally enslaved and compliant, especially the version of Christianity that was beaten into black people, but that's a topic for another day.

@Momof2: I was referring to that raid at Club Dallas a few weeks back, not the bar in FW. And it was one of best friends that still lives in the city, a gay white man that told me that. See, Oatmeal has friends of all races and ethnicities, and orientation. Matter of fact, I'm about to go to dinner with one of my Korean homegirls this evening after I go to the gym for on afternoon run on the treadmill as men (and women) of all races ogle at my beauty.

As you see, I can't be defined by being placed into one neat little box, I'm all over the place. Now we've gone off topic a bit too much, and it's getting late, so toodles for now lovemuffins!
Well that is super! You still haven't answered about the curse of the ham -- which is ironic considering my name. I really need to know why I hate cheap lunch meat, my own name as well as gays and interracial marriage. I didn't know that I hated those things until you told me that I did. Maybe you can tell me my wife's name too, since you know me so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM-iltonpl
I was raised in a Southern Baptist Church. What is Curse of the Ham? This is the first that I have heard of it. Since my religion means I hate gays and interracial marriage -- also views that I didn't realize that I had until you educated me -- I'd really like to know about other things that I hate.

I'll hang up and listen.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:08 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
I was raised in a Southern Baptist Church. What is Curse of the Ham? This is the first that I have heard of it. Since my religion means I hate gays and interracial marriage -- also views that I didn't realize that I had until you educated me -- I'd really like to know about other things that I hate.

I'll hang up and listen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Well that is super! You still haven't answered about the curse of the ham -- which is ironic considering my name. I really need to know why I hate cheap lunch meat as well as gays and interracial marriage. I didn't know that I hated those things until now. Maybe you can tell me my wife's name too, since you know me so well.
I know. I was thinking........... was their some secret potluck that they used to do wherein instead of blessing the meal they cursed it if there was ham???

Nope, she won't answer it or any other question that would admit she was wrong. She avoids such. Typical response from such an "open individual" . Yep, there is that nasty tolerant word again. Only Christians need to be tolerant of others and NO ONE can tolerate Christians. And in the case of our friend that has been burnt....... she just can't tolerate anyone that is white, Christian and lives in Texas and especially Dallas.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:01 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
I'm not going to argue that you might find a racist white person up in the northern burbs as white flight has fueled their growth. But I don't think they are going to be as overt as that nutjob.

Southern Baptist here with Primitive Baptist Great-Granddaddy preacher - never taught 'the curse of ham" only how to cure one in a smoke house.

OO there are people of all colors in my part of town and have been for two or three generations. I am so used to it that I recently freaked at a funeral at HP Methodist because I haven't seen that many white people in Dallas in one place in ages. If you go anywhere in town, except maybe a few very uppity charity functions, you will see quite an array of folks all getting along and having a good time.

It wasn't really a raid on Club Dallas - more an undercover drug bust from what I heard. Still it was out of the norm but 'raids on bars' are not a regular thing as you like to posit...

Old 11-02-2010, 04:10 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I know. I was thinking........... was their some secret potluck that they used to do wherein instead of blessing the meal they cursed it if there was ham???

Nope, she won't answer it or any other question that would admit she was wrong. She avoids such. Typical response from such an "open individual" . Yep, there is that nasty tolerant word again. Only Christians need to be tolerant of others and NO ONE can tolerate Christians. And in the case of our friend that has been burnt....... she just can't tolerate anyone that is white, Christian and lives in Texas and especially Dallas.
Not true! Besides, I never said that I was "tolerant" or "open-minded" of anyone. I judge first, and ask questions later Being white and Christian has nothing to do with it. I've been accused of being everything from being a self-hating Aunt Jemima Coon to being a Militant Uppity Negress depending on who's mad at me. What can I say, I'm an equal opportunity biatch

Let the record show that extreme liberals annoy me about as much as extreme conservatives do. I just do me and wish others would just mind theirs. You tell these nanmby-pamby yuppies up here that you own a few guns, and they want to lecture me about how "wrong" that is I just wanted to pepper spray them and pay for my lunch. But I'm a lady, so I decided to hold my mule

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 11-02-2010 at 04:21 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 04:21 PM

419 posts, read 998,288 times
Quote:
Not true! Besides, I never said that I was "tolerant" or "open-minded" of anyone. I judge first, and ask questions later Being white and Christian has nothing to do with it. I've been accused of being everything from being a self-hating Aunt Jemima Coon to being a Militant Uppity Negress depending on who's mad at me. What can I say, I'm an equal opportunity biatch

Let the record show that extreme liberals annoy me about as much as extreme conservatives do. I just do me and wish others would just mind theirs. You tell these nanmby-pamby yuppies up here that you own a few guns, and they want to lecture me about how "wrong" that is I just wanted to pepper spray them and pay for my lunch. But I'm a lady, so I decided to hold my mule
It sounds like someone has some anger issues to work through with all of humanity -- kinda like the dude in the first post who screamed "white power!"

I'll bet you are a delight to be around and are capable of lasting, meaningful relationships with other human beings. I don't see how you had a bad time in Dallas with your optimistic attitude about others. We must be racists if we don't like you. What's not to love? You're perfect, non-conspiratorial, nonjudgmental and sound really intelligent.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:31 PM

316 posts, read 784,544 times
It probably was an isolated incident, but that area hasn't exactly been the most tolerant or progressive regarding race relations in the past.

Generations of Southern Baptists have opposed interracial marriage, integrated churches, and even the abolishment of human slavery precisely because they were historically situated and culturally shaped by some prevailing notion of human nature and racial hierarchy. White supremacy was considered “true” for them - Baptist churches in the Southern U.S. once preached that slavery was sanctioned by God and that Interracial marriage was considered a crime. In the Heavily Baptist state of South Carolina as late as 1998 (only 12 years ago) was when the state repealed its anti-miscegenation laws. Although the repeal was supported by a majority of voters in a referendum, almost 40% still opposed it -- Among them was a Baptist Rep State Representative who argued interracial marriage was "not" what God intended when he separated the races back in Babylonian days ." His stance he stated, was based entirely from his Southern Baptist upbringing.

They're 3.8 million Southern Baptists in TX - 40% or approx 1.5m concentrated around the DFW Metroplex. Southern Baptist true beliefs regarding Race mixing is still the reason they're so concerned about segregation. Preserving the Caucasian genotype is critical for a SB, and interracial marriage, which can be prevented only by separating the races, is still considered to be the norm for many.

The greatest fear in the South 50 years ago among Southern Baptists was the integration and “social equality” or the uniting of multiple races into one.” The possibility of interracial marriage horrified many Southern Baptists who still clung to a belief in the purity of the white race.

To be Baptist was to be Southern and to be Southern was to support a racial -orthodoxy of white supremacy that characterized the pre-war period and was maintained in the segregated world of the Jim Crow South. To be Southern Baptist also meant that one adopted a Puritan social ethic - Baptists were prototypical southerners: “racially and sexually hierarchical, suspicious of modern viewpoints, complacent about the exploitation of the economically disadvantaged, militaristic, and generally hostile toward the reformist (and northern yankee) social attitudes. Racial attitudes of Southern Baptists not only defended the status quo of a Jim Crow South, they promoted it. Throughout the first half of the twentieth century, Southern Baptists continued to believe in white superiority and considered segregation to be the accepted, i.e., biblical way of life.

North Dallas Suburbs Slowly becoming more progressive - Still a Evangelical Baptist Hub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas