Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 04:53 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAPRESIDENT View Post
It sounds like someone has some anger issues to work through with all of humanity -- kinda like the dude in the first post who screamed "white power!"

I'll bet you are a delight to be around and are capable of lasting, meaningful relationships with other human beings. I don't see how you had a bad time in Dallas with your optimistic attitude about others. We must be racists if we don't like you. What's not to love? You're perfect, non-conspiratorial, nonjudgmental and sound really intelligent.
LMAO. Yes, people love how much of a Beautiful, Intelligent, Talented, Charming, Hilarious woman I am,

Old 11-02-2010, 04:54 PM

419 posts, read 998,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
It probably was an isolated incident, but that area hasn't exactly been the most tolerant or progressive regarding race relations in the past.

Generations of Southern Baptists have opposed interracial marriage, integrated churches, and even the abolishment of human slavery precisely because they were historically situated and culturally shaped by some prevailing notion of human nature and racial hierarchy. White supremacy was considered “true” for them - Baptist churches in the Southern U.S. once preached that slavery was sanctioned by God and that Interracial marriage was considered a crime. In the Heavily Baptist state of South Carolina as late as 1998 (only 12 years ago) was when the state repealed its anti-miscegenation laws. Although the repeal was supported by a majority of voters in a referendum, almost 40% still opposed it -- Among them was a Baptist Rep State Representative who argued interracial marriage was "not" what God intended when he separated the races back in Babylonian days ." His stance he stated, was based entirely from his Southern Baptist upbringing.

They're 3.8 million Southern Baptists in TX - 40% or approx 1.5m concentrated around the DFW Metroplex. Southern Baptist true beliefs regarding Race mixing is still the reason they're so concerned about segregation. Preserving the Caucasian genotype is critical for a SB, and interracial marriage, which can be prevented only by separating the races, is still considered to be the norm for many.

The greatest fear in the South 50 years ago among Southern Baptists was the integration and “social equality” or the uniting of multiple races into one.” The possibility of interracial marriage horrified many Southern Baptists who still clung to a belief in the purity of the white race.

To be Baptist was to be Southern and to be Southern was to support a racial -orthodoxy of white supremacy that characterized the pre-war period and was maintained in the segregated world of the Jim Crow South. To be Southern Baptist also meant that one adopted a Puritan social ethic - Baptists were prototypical southerners: “racially and sexually hierarchical, suspicious of modern viewpoints, complacent about the exploitation of the economically disadvantaged, militaristic, and generally hostile toward the reformist (and northern yankee) social attitudes. Racial attitudes of Southern Baptists not only defended the status quo of a Jim Crow South, they promoted it. Throughout the first half of the twentieth century, Southern Baptists continued to believe in white superiority and considered segregation to be the accepted, i.e., biblical way of life.

North Dallas Suburbs Slowly becoming more progressive - Still a Evangelical Baptist Hub.
Moderator cut: personal attacks are not permitted - per TOS, attack the idea, not the speaker of the idea

http://www.city-data.com/city/Dallas-Texas.html

Southern Baptists are about 283,000 strong in Dallas -- Catholics are 484,000. "Other" number about 350,000. So even if your premise is true -- that all Southern Baptists are bigots -- Dallas is hardly a haven for them. In fact, Houston has 458,000 Southern Baptists. Following your premise, then Houston is more racist than Dallas.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Houston-Texas.html

I would say that the South was definitely a hostile place to be a minority 100 years ago -- probably even 50 years ago. But it's not anymore. We've progressed and aren't the same people that we once were. If Southern Baptists were racist, and I'm not conceding that they were, they've also evolved over time to rid themselves of that racist past. All American institutions, every one of them, have a negative racial past. To choose Baptist as your boogeyman is no better than claiming that all Middle Easterners are terrorists. It is a bigoted, nonsensical statement.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-15-2012 at 08:29 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 05:03 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAPRESIDENT View Post
Moderator cut: personal attacks are not permitted - per TOS, attack the idea, not the speaker of the idea
http://www.city-data.com/city/Dallas-Texas.html

Southern Baptists are about 283,000 strong in Dallas -- Catholics are 484,000. "Other" number about 350,000. So even if your premise is true -- that all Southern Baptists are bigots -- Dallas is hardly a haven for them. In fact, Houston has 458,000 Southern Baptists. Following your premise, then Houston is more racist than Dallas.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Houston-Texas.html

I would say that the South was definitely a hostile place to be a minority 100 years ago -- probably even 50 years ago. But it's not anymore. We've progressed and aren't the same people that we once were. If Southern Baptists were racist, and I'm not conceding that they were, they've also evolved over time to rid themselves of that racist past. All American institutions, every one of them, have a negative racial past. To choose Baptist as your boogeyman is no better than claiming that all Middle Easterners are terrorists. It is a bigoted, nonsensical statement.
In the words of Gucci Mane, "Well damn!" I actually agree with what you're saying.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-15-2012 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: updated quoted text

Old 11-02-2010, 05:34 PM

149 posts, read 357,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolenh View Post
We live in the Plano area but frequent Frisco & McKinney a lot for food, entertainment, etc because I live right on the border of both cities.
You live in Plano? Good for you! I always thought McKinney was a nice place, I'm mortified that something like that happened in McKinney.

Quote:
My concern is obvious, but my question is, is this the norm out here?
That isn't the norm but I have a story. Once while on a trip to Dallas, I was talking to an Af-Am man who worked for a big corporation and this is what he told me;

If they had a potential employee coming to town and they were white, they'd show them houses in Plano. If they were black, they'd show them Carolton or Irving.

Quote:
I mean I know racism is still out there, but for this person to blatantly scream WHITE POWER in a setting like a restaurant was bizarre and unnerving. My children were there ... This incident happened about a month ago and I haven't been able to shake it. I stopped going to that popular restaurant and started going out of my way to go to the location in Frisco. But it got so inconvenient I ended up going back to McKinney which is only 5 minutes away from me. I don't sit near the bar anymore ...
Yes, racism is still out there and sadly, it is a little more prevalent so in our great state. I wouldn't give up on God's country and there are good people all over.

But the cool part is that you live in Plano, which 30 years ago used to be the 'white' side of town.

Good luck! Plano is awesome!

Old 11-02-2010, 05:46 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritof68 View Post
That isn't the norm but I have a story. Once while on a trip to Dallas, I was talking to an Af-Am man who worked for a big corporation and this is what he told me;

If they had a potential employee coming to town and they were white, they'd show them houses in Plano. If they were black, they'd show them Carolton or Irving.
This is the silliest thing I've seen written here in years. We show houses where ever someone wants to look. There are many very nice areas in Irving, Carrollton and Plano that are comparable.

Stay with Lubbock, you have no idea of DFW.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:11 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,603 times
Quote:
They're 3.8 million Southern Baptists in TX - 40% or approx 1.5m concentrated around the DFW Metroplex. Southern Baptist true beliefs regarding Race mixing is still the reason they're so concerned about segregation. Preserving the Caucasian genotype is critical for a SB, and interracial marriage, which can be prevented only by separating the races, is still considered to be the norm for many.
Quote:

The greatest fear in the South 50 years ago among Southern Baptists was the integration and “social equality” or the uniting of multiple races into one.” The possibility of interracial marriage horrified many Southern Baptists who still clung to a belief in the purity of the white race.

To be Baptist was to be Southern and to be Southern was to support a racial -orthodoxy of white supremacy that characterized the pre-war period and was maintained in the segregated world of the Jim Crow South. To be Southern Baptist also meant that one adopted a Puritan social ethic - Baptists were prototypical southerners: “racially and sexually hierarchical, suspicious of modern viewpoints, complacent about the exploitation of the economically disadvantaged, militaristic, and generally hostile toward the reformist (and northern yankee) social attitudes. Racial attitudes of Southern Baptists not only defended the status quo of a Jim Crow South, they promoted it. Throughout the first half of the twentieth century, Southern Baptists continued to believe in white superiority and considered segregation to be the accepted, i.e., biblical way of life.

North Dallas Suburbs Slowly becoming more progressive - Still a Evangelical Baptist Hub.

If by "Northern Dallas" suburbs you mean Collin County you could not be more wrong.

http://scienceblogs.com/bushwells/upload/2007/07/church_bodies.gif (broken link)

Old 11-02-2010, 06:22 PM

149 posts, read 357,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
This is the silliest thing I've seen written here in years. We show houses where ever someone wants to look. There are many very nice areas in Irving, Carrollton and Plano that are comparable.

Stay with Lubbock, you have no idea of DFW.
Okie dokie but that's the story the guy told me and he lives in Dallas. Furthermore, I never said that Irving, Carrollton or Plano were not nice areas.

You're right, I 'have no idea of DFW' but you are giving me a better picture of who lives there.

Finally, I am staying with Lubbock. Dallas is too big and I wouldn't consider it a real Texas city anymore anyways. It has some fantastic resturants though even the hole in the walls are good.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:31 PM

419 posts, read 998,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post

If by "Northern Dallas" suburbs you mean Collin County you could not be more wrong.
Dallas County is majority Catholic too.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:33 PM

316 posts, read 784,544 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

The fact is they're a lot of "good old boys" in North Texas that still view the influx of minorities (Blacks & Hispanics) as a threat to their precious conservative values, as they fear that all these non believers will be dating their daughters, stealing their cars, bringing down the district TAK scores, and won't be attending their church on Sunday with them. The concept of Racism and Race consciousness is still alive and well in many parts of North Texas - If you don't believe that - Your Nuts!!

There are a good amount of North Texans who don't travel outside of Texas or the South, never visit abroad, or experience anything outside of their protective shells, God forbid.

How many non-Texans have heard a Texan say "I hate New Yorkers", or "I hate Californian's", and "How come we have all these Mexicans & Blacks living here in our suburbs" and so on. There is still a good amount of prejudice and arrogance in DFW period. To some outsiders this means Texans are either ignorant or afraid of anything different regarding acceptance and tolerance of others - The fact is, North Texas is still associated with Conservatism, Arrogance and Rednecks - Usually not the top three traits people from other states are drawn to - Do your homework next time!

This detailed data is from the Association of Religion Data Archives.
(NOT CITY DATA)

Over half of all Southern Baptists in the world live in five Southern states: Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Alabama.

Texas Southern Baptist Evangelical 3,519,459 members (2000) 3.8 Million 2010 estimate.

Texas metros with large Southern Baptist membership:

Sherman-Denison, TX MSA 38,751 - 35.0% of population
Texarkana, TX-Texarkana, AR MSA 44,785 -34.5% of population
Abilene, TX MSA 42,878 - 33.9% of population
Tyler, TX MSA 56,627 - 32% of population
Amarillo, TX MSA 68,163- 31% of the population
Waco, TX MSA 64,143 - 30.0% of the population
Beaumont-Port Arthur, TX MSA 105,520 - 27.4% of the population
Odessa-Midland, TX MSA 56,287 - 23.7% of the population
Killeen-Temple, TX MSA 68,767 - 22.0% of the population
Lubbock, TX MSA 53,025 - 21.9% of the population

Dallas-Fort Worth, TX CMSA 855,680 16.4% of the population

The Association of Religion Data Archives | Maps & Reports

Southern Baptist Counties (2000) | QuickLists | The Association of Religion Data Archives (http://www.thearda.com/QuickLists/QuickList_6.asp - broken link)
Southern Baptist Metro Areas (2000) | QuickLists | The Association of Religion Data Archives (http://www.thearda.com/QuickLists/QuickList_90.asp - broken link)

State of the States: Importance of Religion (http://www.gallup.com/poll/114022/state-states-importance-%3Cbr%20/%3E%0Areligion.aspx - broken link)

Southern Baptist Convention statistics

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-15-2012 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - post comment referred to has been removed.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:59 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,603 times
Evidently there are plenty of bigoted Californians too judging by your posts. Oh, and last time I checked California also had plenty of rednecks, racists, and religious wackos. Does Bakersfield ring a bell? What about the fact that many white supremacist organizations are based in Southern California?

And by the way how many New Yorkers and Californians move here and enjoy living here? Evidently a lot judging by the posts I have seen here.

Oh, and if I need to show this to you again.

Hispanic Magazine (http://www.hispaniconline.com/HispanicMag/2008_08/Feature-Cities.html - broken link)

The Ten Best Cities for African Americans | Young Black Professional Guide (http://ybpguide.com/2007/04/18/the-ten-best-cities-for-african-americans/ - broken link)

Care to elaborate? By the way I am a Hispanic Texan of Argentinean descent who has been to 30 states and at least 6 foreign countries, and I have yet to experience any racism anywhere in Texas. However I can't say the same for Los Angeles though.

Last edited by diablo234; 11-03-2010 at 04:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas