Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 03:29 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
It's extremely cold for much of the year in Boston, Philly, NYC, and Chicago- and they have walkable center cities. It's called wearing layers and dressing for the weather. It's not that difficult....though I do not advocate walking for extended periods of time in August when it's 105 for 3 straight weeks, you can certainly be outside long enough to walk a block or two to lunch or Starbucks or to get a manicure or pick up a few things at CVS.

This is true, it is cold in NYC and people still walk, but like you say, I would rather walk in the cold than in the Texas heat in August...I'm from Nigeria, and people always ask me if Texas is as hot as Africa...and then I burst out laughing...Texas is MUCH hotter than anything I ever experienced back home...not even close. I've been here in Texas for 13 years and I still struggle with the heat sometimes...crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 03:30 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,703 times
Chicago gets hella hot in the summer too. And humid hot...as hot as humid as Houston. Yuck.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:21 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Here's the problem; would you really want to be outside walking in the middle of August when its over 100 degrees? or how about in February when it's in the 30s? That's the problem with DFW, for over half the year it's either too hot or too cold. This is most definitely NOT SoCal.
Um...I'll give you some days in the winter (since we also have plenty of 50 and 60 degree days in the winter - sometimes even 70s) and July/Aug/part of Sept. That hardly constitutes 'over half the year.'

Old 03-30-2011, 04:33 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Um...I'll give you some days in the winter (since we also have plenty of 50 and 60 degree days in the winter - sometimes even 70s) and July/Aug/part of Sept. That hardly constitutes 'over half the year.'

I stand corrected...although in the middle of one of those infamous heat waves it can feel like half a years worth of suffering...

Old 03-30-2011, 04:52 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
We went six months last fall/winter/spring before the temperature went over 80.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:03 PM

17 posts, read 39,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Well, if the OP wants to up the budget he can get this gem. This is FAR FROM your average Dallas suburban architecture. FAR. FROM. This house was even featured on House Hunters when the current sellers bought it.

6220 Worth St Dallas TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11559129 - Realtor.com®

lovely house but probably poor op will have to sell his kidneys to pay for it.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:05 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4moving2dallas View Post
lovely house but probably poor op will have to sell his kidneys to pay for it.
LOL! Too bad you could not have bought it when the current owners did. They paid around $550K if I remember correctly back in 2008. Nice profit, I'd say.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:11 PM

17 posts, read 39,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yep, pretty much.

I didn't post it earlier but there is a stucco mediterranian for sale in the gated community of custom homes in The Hills of Breckinridge. Everything you want but no pool. I know pretty much all the neighbors. Nice group of families.
i'll have only one weekend to browse and i do not want to waste it on 'ghetto' palace ... you forgot that debate?

Old 03-30-2011, 05:17 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4moving2dallas View Post
i'll have only one weekend to browse and i do not want to waste it on 'ghetto' palace ... you forgot that debate?
Oh yes, but check this thread out
What can $200,000 & under budget get in Plano or around?

The last few pages should make for some interesting reading.
Not that I'm saying it would be the area for you though
But some peoples perceptions are not based in reality. LOL!

I'd say in all honesty based on all you have said, to come look in the areas that interest you and look past the brick and the sellers choice of decorating. Stucco is hard to find and in areas where it is not a hinder to sell it is going to be pricey, VERY PRICEY. As a matter of fact looking on realtor.com I did not see any stucco homes for sale in Lakewood at all. Even well over your price range, none. You are just going to have to look at this as a new adventure and that the architecture here is different than what you are used to.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:12 PM

9 posts, read 15,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Lakewooder,
Great pictures of Lakewood and the WW High School. We are in the final stages of arranging our move to the Dallas area. I must admit I've been focusing on Plano, particularly the 75075 and 75024 Zips. But I like what I see and what I've researched in the Jackson, JL Long Middle and Wilson High School.
If my budget for a 3-4 bedroom home in that school zone is up to $2000, is it doable? Thanks in advance for your reply!!

Lake Highlands is much better, in a much better school district.Lakewood has nice homes ill admit,but the school are filled with undesirables(not including Lakewood Elem(White rock Elem in RISD is much better)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas