Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:01 AM

11 posts, read 35,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by facebookdigg123 View Post
I meant gpa killer as in its a regulars class and pulls your gpa down even if you get an A+, not that it's a hard class. I would rather have the kid take 2 additional AP classes than clinical rotation.

p.s. I'm going to med school next year, so I agree that you can't shy away from difficult classes. I took 7 AP classes my senior year of high school, and that's pretty comparable to college. College might even be a little bit easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 07:02 AM

Thank you! The information that I have got here will help my son a lot.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:42 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,953 times
A couple of things to note before this thread dies out:

1) You asked about TAMS Summer School. It's pretty hard-core, and not a very fun way to spend your summer, unless your kid really loves math. But, in that case, he should be looking at one of the competition-prep math camps instead.

If you're going to try to knock out Algebra II on your own, I'd recommend taking the Art of Problem Solving online course this spring/summer, then doing CBE in August.

2) Keep in mind that the 4-year plan is just a piece of paper, not an iron-clad contract. You can freely change the courses as the years go on. It's just an exercise to "idiot-proof" registration. For example, one of the kids in my son's class was talking about how he's just not going to take a foreign language in HS. Actually having to fill in the blanks on the 4-year plan should cure him of that delusion.

The purpose is to avoid situations where kids mindlessly take whatever, whenever, for 3 years, then get to their senior year and find themselves 10 classes short of the required basket. That won't be a problem for you.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:55 AM

Default Thank you!

Yes. I think one of the things he chose AP was that he could be flexible in planning his courses. He is planning on keeping spanish all the way till 12th grade and his orchestra too. He loves math but I know he would rather go and volunteer and give his time rather than spend his time at TAMS.

TAMS was on his mind for a long time. Lately, he has started thinking that he is going to miss out on a lot of stuff if he goes into TAMS. I was thinking that this would be a chance to try TAMS out and see if he could handle it. The disadvantage for him is he is 13 years old (lot younger than the kids in his class).

Thanks for sharing your ideas regarding online classes. I will let him know that there are more options for him than spending for TAMS SUMMER SCHOOL.

According to the plan that he has he has about 34 credits lined up. What do you think about the credits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
A couple of things to note before this thread dies out:

1) You asked about TAMS Summer School. It's pretty hard-core, and not a very fun way to spend your summer, unless your kid really loves math. But, in that case, he should be looking at one of the competition-prep math camps instead.

If you're going to try to knock out Algebra II on your own, I'd recommend taking the Art of Problem Solving online course this spring/summer, then doing CBE in August.

2) Keep in mind that the 4-year plan is just a piece of paper, not an iron-clad contract. You can freely change the courses as the years go on. It's just an exercise to "idiot-proof" registration. For example, one of the kids in my son's class was talking about how he's just not going to take a foreign language in HS. Actually having to fill in the blanks on the 4-year plan should cure him of that delusion.

The purpose is to avoid situations where kids mindlessly take whatever, whenever, for 3 years, then get to their senior year and find themselves 10 classes short of the required basket. That won't be a problem for you.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:59 PM

TAMS Summer School is different from regular TAMS. The regular TAMS kids aren't part of the summer school. So if your son did the summer school, he'd be there with other kids his age or just a year older (and even some younger). 13 would definitely be age-appropriate for Algebra II there.

You're right - it would give him a taste of TAMS. He could see if he can handle that environment, as well as whether or not he likes it.

TAMS is actually an excellent setup for a pre-med student. One of my neighbors sent his daughter there (quite a few years ago). She finished college at 20, and med school at 24. That means two extra years to spend making $$$ as a doctor - that's a 6-figure gain!

You definitely give up a lot socially by going to TAMS, but, depending on the person and the personality, they can gain a lot socially as well. I'd keep that option open. Advancing an extra year in math would boost that application as well.

---

As for the 34 credits - that's too many?

Seriously, he already has 3 credits going in - Spanish I, Alg I, and Geom. If he's taking 7 classes for 4 years, that's another 28. Doing eSchool & summer school for Health, PE, and Comm Apps gives you 2 more, and the CBE for Alg II would add 1 more, to give the total of 34.

That kind of total (compared to the 26.5 bare minimum) would greatly boost his college applications, IMO.

(Back in my day, you only needed 21 credits to graduate, with only 2 years of math and science, and NO foreign language. Out of 600 kids, I was one of FOUR people taking 7 classes. Times have changed.)

Last edited by Big G; 01-27-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 04:32 PM

350 posts, read 749,565 times
I agree with what is being said. The number of credits isn't as important as being able to see that your son is taking rigorous courses in areas that prepare him for college (like doing spanish all the way through high school). It really is flexible; we all have changed our schedules from upcoming years too many times to count, so you should be more focused on the upcoming year than the four year plan.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:35 PM

Default Thank you.

Thank you again. If you don't mind me asking, do you have a high school kid or has he finished his high school? The only challenge for these kids is to not get carried away as they grow older and to keep the same focus going. Right now my son and my daughter are doing all the right things but I am hoping and praying that they will stick to achieving their goals (I know there is a lot of other distractions around). Your replies to all my questions have indeed helped me very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
TAMS Summer School is different from regular TAMS. The regular TAMS kids aren't part of the summer school. So if your son did the summer school, he'd be there with other kids his age or just a year older (and even some younger). 13 would definitely be age-appropriate for Algebra II there.

You're right - it would give him a taste of TAMS. He could see if he can handle that environment, as well as whether or not he likes it.

TAMS is actually an excellent setup for a pre-med student. One of my neighbors sent his daughter there (quite a few years ago). She finished college at 20, and med school at 24. That means two extra years to spend making $$$ as a doctor - that's a 6-figure gain!

You definitely give up a lot socially by going to TAMS, but, depending on the person and the personality, they can gain a lot socially as well. I'd keep that option open. Advancing an extra year in math would boost that application as well.

---

As for the 34 credits - that's too many?

Seriously, he already has 3 credits going in - Spanish I, Alg I, and Geom. If he's taking 7 classes for 4 years, that's another 28. Doing eSchool & summer school for Health, PE, and Comm Apps gives you 2 more, and the CBE for Alg II would add 1 more, to give the total of 34.

That kind of total (compared to the 26.5 bare minimum) would greatly boost his college applications, IMO.

(Back in my day, you only needed 21 credits to graduate, with only 2 years of math and science, and NO foreign language. Out of 600 kids, I was one of FOUR people taking 7 classes. Times have changed.)

Old 01-27-2012, 06:38 PM

My kid's in the exact same position as yours - an 8th grader in PISD taking Geometry. My info comes from a combination of neighbors and friends whose kids have gone through PISD, along with my kid's Facebook friends who are already in high school. Just chat people up (like you're doing online) and you can find all the REAL answers, which aren't always the same as what the counselors have to say.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:28 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodi1 View Post
Do you think it is a good idea to continue to take Spanish all the way till 12th grade and the same with Orchestra. How important is it to show Orchestra taken at school? Can he just continue his private lessons and continue working on his ABRSM (Assosicate Board of the Royal school of Music, London) certifications for his Violin.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:39 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodi1 View Post
Do you think it is a good idea to continue to take Spanish all the way till 12th grade and the same with Orchestra. How important is it to show Orchestra taken at school? Can he just continue his private lessons and continue working on his ABRSM (Assosicate Board of the Royal school of Music, London) certifications for his Violin.
Does his high school offer four years of Latin? If so I'd investigate taking all four. My son's direct quote about his final required pre-med Latin class at university, "skull-crushing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas