Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 4,136 times

Advertisements

I found an apartment in east dallas that will deal with my eviction without a credit check thats located in east dallas off jim miller and I30. I'm not sure if that is worth a commute every morning for my kids they go to forest lane academy off forest lane by 635. And I work in richardson by 75. Do you think I should keep looking for apartments? I just dont like telling every apartment my situation about the eviction and the domestic violence situation because I hate that pitty look I get when I explain it. And then the more pitty look when they say they still cant help me. But I dont want to transfer my kids school because they just started there. Can anyone give me any advice and pointers please I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 08:15 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Keep looking. Pity looks last a few minutes; commuting thru traffic with little kids lasts forever when its happening. Jim Miller and I-30 is not a wonderful area, either.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:19 AM

3 posts, read 4,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Keep looking. Pity looks last a few minutes; commuting thru traffic with little kids lasts forever when its happening. Jim Miller and I-30 is not a wonderful area, either.
Thank you thats what my main concern is.. The safety of my children. Thanks a lot I'll keep looking.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:21 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Why not phone a counselor at a woman's shelter and ask for apartment suggestions?

Old 09-14-2013, 11:56 PM

988 posts, read 1,827,413 times
Quote:
I'm admittedly a new Texan and Dallasite (is that what I should call myself, a Dallasite?) but I would agree with what little I've seen of traffic in my new home. I found a place near work, and while I sometimes think I'd like a little bit different scenery I love not dealing with Dallas traffic. It would drive me buggy to have to make a long drive in this traffic each day, and in your case would far outweigh the little bit of pity looks you might get.

I know easier said than done, but keep your head up and a stiff upper lip. In the long run, I bet you'll love the time you'll get to spend with your children a lot more than being able to avoid a few minutes of pity looks.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:01 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Why not phone a counselor at a woman's shelter and ask for apartment suggestions?
Or an apartment locator service?

I don't even stop for gas at Jim Miller and 30...

Old 09-17-2013, 09:01 PM

23 posts, read 109,343 times
Contact TCFV or Family Place... TX has some laws that help people relocate because of domestic violence situations.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:38 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Doesn't scare me but that is a long way. Surely you can find something closer.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:15 PM

92 posts, read 162,440 times
I know there are second chance apartments in the galleria neighborhood which is pretty close to where you need to be. You can also google search several second chance apartment locators. Good luck.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:54 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Or an apartment locator service?

I don't even stop for gas at Jim Miller and 30...
I really dislike that kind of snobby comment. I routinely gas up at Jim Miller and 30 and surprise, surprise...haven't been mugged, accosted or murdered yet! There are a lot of small, quiet and safe neighborhoods in that general area with affordable housing.

That being said, if the apt complex the OP is considering is one I am thinking of, I would not recommend it. Too many of the residents seem to be hanging around during the day....never a good idea when you are leaving for work every day. Plus I agree with the other posters about the commuting issue. Battling the traffic everyday would be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas