Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:28 PM

58 posts, read 65,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristobalg View Post
Speaking of commutes, is the commute from Lakewood to the area south of the airport considered a 'reverse commute'? Google says its a 25 minute commute in the morning. Is that accurate? Don't mean to hijack the thread but I couldnt find anything about it in a search
I live in Lakewood/Eastern M-streets and work close to George Bush and 114. Going there during rush hour, I cut through uptown by using Cole to Blackburn to Oak Lawn to 35, and it takes me about 30 minutes no matter what time I leave the house. Sounds confusing, but I grew up in Dallas and have tried every back road highway combination I can think of and that was best. Going home on the other hand - Yes it is "reverse", but it still takes me about an hour to get home, and I have not found what way is best. I usually leave between 4:30-6. Before or after those times, it is a breeze to take 35 and Woodall.

If anyone knows of a great way to get home from Irving/Las Colinas to Lakewood, please let us know!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 01:06 PM

229 posts, read 305,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycool1111 View Post
Dallas is the only city in the world people will spend $100K on a sports car so that they can drive 15 miles below the speed limit. It's like a huge joke. In Dallas, the race is about "who drives the slowest" and at times it feels like they give away medals to the slowest commuters, because people drive THAT slow.
You do realize we are talking about Dallas, Texas here, not Dallas, Georgia or any of the other Dallas' right?

Old 01-09-2014, 01:07 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,784 times
Average Commute Times | WNYC

Old 01-09-2014, 01:24 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,409,031 times
I actually agree that on average Dallas people don't drive fast. The average speed on the tollway when it's empty is nowhere near 80 mph. I'd say that on average people follow the speed limits (a low IMO 65 and below on US 75 right?) and I know that makes them law abiding but it also makes it slow. And there are plenty of left lane blockers who go below the speed limit on 75 and on the tollway.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:38 PM

19,804 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I actually agree that on average Dallas people don't drive fast. The average speed on the tollway when it's empty is nowhere near 80 mph. I'd say that on average people follow the speed limits (a low IMO 65 and below on US 75 right?) and I know that makes them law abiding but it also makes it slow. And there are plenty of left lane blockers who go below the speed limit on 75 and on the tollway.
Sure there's all of that. But the idea that people drive around always at 15 below the speed limit is silly.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 01-09-2014 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Do not call anyone a troll

Old 01-09-2014, 05:37 PM

235 posts, read 347,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Ummmm, wut. I guess you haven't been on the assumed 90+mph tollways recently.
They surely don't exist anywhere near Dallas. I can guarantee you that.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's ridiculous. I was just on DNT, not 15 minutes ago, cruising at 80.
I use DNT pretty much every day and I usually drive around 65 mph and I am usually the fastest car as I pass every car right and left. It's very rare to see anyone go above 60 mph in DNT. I've seen people go around 50 mph even at 2 am.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
You do realize we are talking about Dallas, Texas here, not Dallas, Georgia or any of the other Dallas' right?
Yes, we are talking about Dallas Texas, one of the slowest cities I've ever been to, and I've been to a lot of cities. Here in Dallas North Tollway, the speed limit is 70 mph and I can drive 65 and pass every car right and left because most people go around 50-55 mph in perfect conditions. In rainy days, you are lucky if the car in front of you goes above 35 mph.

Yesterday, it wasn't even raining heavily, it was barely sprinkling and most people were going around 30-35 mph in DNT.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Every night I see people blocking the left line going 62 mph or even below speeds. I usually flash my bright headlights behind them to let them know that they should either move to one of the slower lanes or learn to drive at an appropriate speed.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:33 PM

390 posts, read 715,488 times
The speed limit on the DNT south of Plano is 65. Today with light traffic in the rain I was going 65 (probably a little too fast for the conditions). Cars in the right lane were generally going slower. Cars in the left lane were flying past me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas