Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 08:38 PM

8,156 posts, read 3,680,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycool1111 View Post
Just 10 minutes ago (around 8 pm local time), I was on DNT and there was this idiot in front of me who was invading the left lane going 60-62 miles per hour. As soon as room opened in the middle lane, I got there and passed him very quickly by going right below 70 mph. A minute later, there was another car going far below the speed limit, again, invading the left lane. I see this every single day.

In general, my experience is quite the opposite. I'm on DNT every day, for much longer than I would like, and in the morning, south bound, when it finally opens up after NW Highway, most are going 80.
Now, that's fine, but on a weekend night, after one to many at the Saucer or wherever else, some mistake the DNT for the Autobahn, then it can be dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 08:46 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Just 10 minutes ago (around 8 pm local time), I was on DNT and there was this idiot in front of me who was invading the left lane going 60-62 miles per hour. As soon as room opened in the middle lane, I got there and passed him very quickly by going right below 70 mph. A minute later, there was another car going far below the speed limit, again, invading the left lane. I see this every single day.
Well sure but that's a total back track from your really silly claims in post #68. There is no question that some people on every road around here, and everywhere else for that matters, are distracted lane blocking jerks it's just part of life.

Here's my DNT note of the day. Today at ~12:15 PM I entered DNT from Royal headed north. Who was holding a perfect 78mph in the fast lane? A Dallas Police Officer. He blazed a trail all the way to Frankford and then exited.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:11 AM

235 posts, read 347,386 times
There is only one way to define Dallas traffic: MASSIVE DISASTER.

It's completely hopeless. Dallas traffic is completely different from LA traffic or NY traffic. The difference is that LA or NY traffic is caused by car density, that is, there are too many cars on the road at a given time. Dallas traffic is mostly caused by lack of driving skills. No one in this city seems to know how to operate a vehicle properly for the traffic to flow. There aren't even that many cars on the road but there is always traffic jams.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:54 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,495,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Not one bit of this sounds accurate IMO.
Yeah I don't get where this guy says Dallasites are slow drivers.

If anything, about half are your average "driving the speed limit" types (who still never use turn signals), and the other half are plowing right behind you in their leased Mercedes while talking on the phone, then weaving in and out of traffic like they've got a bomb in the backseat.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:19 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,299,498 times
Quote:
There is only one way to define Dallas traffic: MASSIVE DISASTER.

It's completely hopeless. Dallas traffic is completely different from LA traffic or NY traffic. The difference is that LA or NY traffic is caused by car density, that is, there are too many cars on the road at a given time. Dallas traffic is mostly caused by lack of driving skills. No one in this city seems to know how to operate a vehicle properly for the traffic to flow. There aren't even that many cars on the road but there is always traffic jams.
Just curious, but I am interested in your objective data that there are not that many cars on the road. Where did you ascertain your data? Since Dallas is one of the most populated cities in the country, and DFW is adding 100k people per year, I am admittedly skeptical of your claims. However, your objective data may prove me wrong.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Yeah I don't get where this guy says Dallasites are slow drivers.

If anything, about half are your average "driving the speed limit" types (who still never use turn signals), and the other half are plowing right behind you in their leased Mercedes while talking on the phone, then weaving in and out of traffic like they've got a bomb in the backseat.
Well if you have ever been to anywhere north of 635, you will realize how slow Dallas people drive. I have a dream that one day I will be able to drive at speed limit (70 mph) on DNT but it has yet to happen. Every time I take DNT (which is everyday) all three lanes at blocked by people who seem to think that the speed limit is 55-60 at most. Only God knows how many cars I pass everyday by approaching (but not getting at) the speed limit. It gets even worse when you approach the suburbs, the traffic flows at 32-33 at places where speed limit is 40-45 (not during rush hour, even at 8-9 pm). I see this every single day.

If someone thinks Dallasites are "fast drivers" they probably think driving 60 mph on a tollroad with 70 mph speed limit is "driving fast." There can't be any other explanation.

I would really love to see where in Dallas people drive fast. When I ask people, they usually say "you can see people driving nearly 75 mph at 2 am on 35" or something like that but I have yet to see anyone drive even at 70 during the daylight (including early evening hours).

Old 01-31-2014, 09:53 PM

8,156 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:
Well if you have ever been to anywhere north of 635, you will realize how slow Dallas people drive. I have a dream that one day I will be able to drive at speed limit (70 mph) on DNT but it has yet to happen. Every time I take DNT (which is everyday) all three lanes at blocked by people who seem to think that the speed limit is 55-60 at most. Only God knows how many cars I pass everyday by approaching (but not getting at) the speed limit. It gets even worse when you approach the suburbs, the traffic flows at 32-33 at places where speed limit is 40-45 (not during rush hour, even at 8-9 pm). I see this every single day.

If someone thinks Dallasites are "fast drivers" they probably think driving 60 mph on a tollroad with 70 mph speed limit is "driving fast." There can't be any other explanation.

I would really love to see where in Dallas people drive fast. When I ask people, they usually say "you can see people driving nearly 75 mph at 2 am on 35" or something like that but I have yet to see anyone drive even at 70 during the daylight (including early evening hours).

Apparently we are not driving the same DNT. Today, around 1 pm, I was going about 75-80, and 50% of the cars were passing me. Having said that, at 5 pm today, I was going NB about 2 miles per hour between 635 and the turnpike and eventually gave up when mu clutch started burning.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Apparently we are not driving the same DNT. Today, around 1 pm, I was going about 75-80, and 50% of the cars were passing me. Having said that, at 5 pm today, I was going NB about 2 miles per hour between 635 and the turnpike and eventually gave up when mu clutch started burning.
I always drive on DNT between 635 and 121 and I've never seen anyone go above 70 mph on that section of DNT in the last 3 years. I don't know about other sections of the road though.

Last edited by bigdaddycool1111; 01-31-2014 at 11:07 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 06:16 PM

Today I was stuck some IDIOT who thought it was a good idea to slam her break hard when she was merging from highway to side road. She thought she had to slowdown from 65 mph to 35 mph within one second and slammed her break rather than doing is safely and softly. There wasn't even any traffic on the road. She almost caused an accident. Every city has some idiots who don't know how to drive safely/efficiently but Dallas and Atlanta seem to have a very high percentage of those relative to other parts of the country.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:47 PM

Today there was an accident on DNT around George Bush Tollway and it closed the road down for a good 2 hours. Does anyone know the details of the accident?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas