Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 06:32 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,974,480 times

Advertisements

Economic center as in population center. I think the population center of the USA is somewhere around Missouri. Moving West and South.

The economic center of Dallas Ft Worth is between the two downtown's and certainly North of I-30. My guess it's in North West Irving now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 11:56 PM

636 posts, read 1,916,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscountry View Post
Thank you. The 1st HONEST answer.
The rest of these people live in "another reality,"--rationalize rationalize rationalize..
Pay attention to padcrasher and be honest with yourselves.

back to the business class ticket vs. first class ticket analogy:both are nice but for the same price " I" will take the heavy trees and character, school, university, charm, housing appreciation, urban setting any day. UNLESS I was a pilot or tied to a company in that was located in the sticks
And of course," YOU" are entitled to your opinion, just as those who prefer, and choose other places are entitled to theirs...

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would prefer to live in the middle of Dallas and travel 30 miles each way every day while paying twice the price for half the house. Right.

HP/UP are great, if you happen to be one of those unfortunate few who are still chained to, ah, an 'urban' environment for your livelyhood.

As many of you know, I'd argue with a brick wall in most cases. However, this is one of those situations where the entire premise of the argument is so ridiculous, and the argument itself so much more ridiculous, that even I must excuse myself. Moderator cut: off topic

I would have to say that your unfounded and factless statements put those "snobs" from the northern suburbs to shame. We will have to work harder to compete with your elitist views. Fortunately, you've not set the bar very high when it comes to backing up those elitest views with evidence to support them. So if we say it, then it must be true; that always makes it easier to win an argument...

Have fun chasing the end of the rainbow, and when you come up with something more tangible, come back and see me. I'd be happy to discuss it with you further when you bring something more 'rational' (seems to be your favorite word) to the table.

Last edited by da jammer; 09-07-2008 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: opinions are fine but let's ease up with the name-calling

Old 09-07-2008, 08:37 AM

48 posts, read 291,563 times
The park cities is old money.
Southlake is new money.
Let me put it this way. My brother, a Dallas lawyer of note, and Park cities resident for 35 years, was turned down for a membership at Dallas country club.
He now tee's off at Royal Oaks CC I believe. They were happy to take his money.
Both places are out of my income range, but if I hit the lotto and could live anywhere?
Lake Travis near Austin
My two cents.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:58 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
tycobb--you wrote
From a purely economic standpoint, if someone could buy a 8k sq. ft. house in HP for 500k, then sure, they'd take it just for the resale value

in your comparison of HP/UP vs Southlake if you think that situation is available in Southlake you really don't know anything about Southlake's housing market...

a 7000 sq ft house in Southlake (new) goes for about 242-248 a sq foot--meaning over a million and 118 a ft for a 6K sqft house is about the least expensive (750K+) on MLS

there are only 5 or so homes over 8K sq ft in Southlake for sale now though

In Highland Park on the other hand there are quite a few homes larger than 10K sq ft--and the least expensive psf price right now for something over 6K sqft is at $288

so HP market is about $100 a sq ft minimum over Southlake's--for a "comparable" home Southlake is always going to be a better price--not necessarily a better deal though
since that is all about perception...

and I think you might find that Fort Worth can be just as snooty about old money vs new as Dallas--that is the old money in Tarrant county--not Southlake-- as several people agreed earlier

Old 09-07-2008, 01:33 PM

434 posts, read 1,481,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
And of course," YOU" are entitled to your opinion, just as those who prefer, and choose other places are entitled to theirs...

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would prefer to live in the middle of Dallas and travel 30 miles each way every day while paying twice the price for half the house. Right.

HP/UP are great, if you happen to be one of those unfortunate few who are still chained to, ah, an 'urban' environment for your livelyhood.

As many of you know, I'd argue with a brick wall in most cases. However, this is one of those situations where the entire premise of the argument is so ridiculous, and the argument itself so much more ridiculous, that even I must excuse myself. Moderator cut: off topic

I would have to say that your unfounded and factless statements put those "snobs" from the northern suburbs to shame. We will have to work harder to compete with your elitist views. Fortunately, you've not set the bar very high when it comes to backing up those elitest views with evidence to support them. So if we say it, then it must be true; that always makes it easier to win an argument...

Have fun chasing the end of the rainbow, and when you come up with something more tangible, come back and see me. I'd be happy to discuss it with you further when you bring something more 'rational' (seems to be your favorite word) to the table.
Yes take some time off as it seems you have jogged up the old blood pressure. Its not an elitist view its just a view that is shared by some outside of yours. There are tons of facts that back up the "claims" I have made and I am sure you can look them up yourself. Just sharing a view and didn't mean for you to get bent out of shape.

Last edited by da jammer; 09-07-2008 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: edited quoted material

Old 09-08-2008, 06:06 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Many, many words, then:
...so HP market is about $100 a sq ft minimum over Southlake's--for a "comparable" home Southlake is always going to be a better price...many, many more words

Dear God, the numbers I was using were for illustrative purposes, but thanks for the unecessarilly long winded reply. The statement quoted above is the only point I was making; thanks for confirming it.

Last edited by tycobb2522; 09-08-2008 at 06:28 AM..

Old 09-09-2008, 01:14 AM

175 posts, read 482,876 times
Default Southlake or Highland Park

I grew up in UP and had a great life. Property values have always been very good. But with that said, choosing where you live should have to do more with your personal lifestyle really. My only beef with Southlake is that it is way out in the middle of nowhere...but that is my perspective as a native to Dallas. Southlake does have a lot of features and benefits for the right buyer. I cannot say that one is better than the other....they are just so different....

Old 09-09-2008, 06:37 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Southlake used to be way out in the middle of no-where...but now it is a very active retail center--while it may not have specialty shops that are one-offs for Dallas--it has several retail centers with plenty of shopping venue--has restaurants for almost any price/palate range
it is unfamiliar to you and probably other Dallasites because you would not come that far to shop at Crate and Barrell or Barnes and Noble---and there are really no art/museum spots for people with that inclination---but it is not the wasteland it was 12 years ago when it really was just residential...

Old 11-17-2010, 06:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscountry View Post
I don't think someone chooses SL. It becomes a logical decision based on what one can afford. People can rationalize all they want, but if you could have the same size lot, house etc in HP for what you paid for your SL diggs- I am willing to bet my home(s) on it that you would take HP.

that's like taking a business class ticket when you can get first class at the same price-- Let's be REAL.
Actually, there's no way I would ever choose HP, or anywhere in despicable Dallas for that matter. Given home/lot size parity, logic simply will not allow for the HP choice. Sorry, I guess I'm just not that feeble minded or intellectually bereft or driven by a (laughable) desire to chase & ascend an ultimately pointless social-status - like idiotic overgrown Junior High kids.
No thanks.
In fact, we denizens of the nobler West-o-plex are quite happy that you & your plebian ilk choose HP/UP/N.Dallas & thoroughly hope you continue to do so indefinitely. Rest assured, for we wish not ever move east & taint ourselves w/ the Dallas Metromess.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:47 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cade019 View Post
Actually, there's no way I would ever choose HP, or anywhere in despicable Dallas for that matter. Given home/lot size parity, logic simply will not allow for the HP choice. Sorry, I guess I'm just not that feeble minded or intellectually bereft or driven by a (laughable) desire to chase & ascend an ultimately pointless social-status - like idiotic overgrown Junior High kids.
No thanks.
In fact, we denizens of the nobler West-o-plex are quite happy that you & your plebian ilk choose HP/UP/N.Dallas & thoroughly hope you continue to do so indefinitely. Rest assured, for we wish not ever move east & taint ourselves w/ the Dallas Metromess.
Thanks for digging up a 2+ year old thread.

The poster you're "arguing" with hasn't been on the board in many, many, many months- maybe over a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas