Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 10:23 PM

19 posts, read 158,232 times

Advertisements

We had to choose between HP or Southlake. We chose SL and LOVE it. Everyone is friendly and the whole community is very family oriented . NO airplane noise over our pool. Town square is adorable and fun.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 12:35 PM

434 posts, read 1,484,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppiemom View Post
We had to choose between HP or Southlake. We chose SL and LOVE it. Everyone is friendly and the whole community is very family oriented . NO airplane noise over our pool. Town square is adorable and fun.

I don't think someone chooses SL. It becomes a logical decision based on what one can afford. People can rationalize all they want, but if you could have the same size lot, house etc in HP for what you paid for your SL diggs- I am willing to bet my home(s) on it that you would take HP.

that's like taking a business class ticket when you can get first class at the same price-- Let's be REAL.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:45 PM

636 posts, read 1,919,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscountry View Post
I don't think someone chooses SL. It becomes a logical decision based on what one can afford. People can rationalize all they want, but if you could have the same size lot, house etc in HP for what you paid for your SL diggs- I am willing to bet my home(s) on it that you would take HP.

that's like taking a business class ticket when you can get first class at the same price-- Let's be REAL.

I'm not even fond of Southlake. It might not be your choice or my choice, but it may very well be someone else's choice. There are many people who live in SL that could easily afford to live anywhere they wanted, and live in SL because they want to. Many of them are pilots who want to be close to DFW.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-06-2008 at 02:26 AM..

Old 09-05-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
I'm not even fond of Southlake. It might not be your choice or my choice, but it may very well be someone else's choice. There are many people who live in SL that could easily afford to live anywhere they wanted, and live in SL because they want to. Many of them are pilots who want to be close to DFW.

so take away the pilots and the ones that live near to work. SL is not their 1st choice. Nice job on your choice words

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-06-2008 at 02:25 AM..

Old 09-05-2008, 03:29 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,046,832 times
rosscountry--you have no idea how many people live in SL as their first choice
that is just such a know-nothing comment --
frankly from what I hear from people who work in airline/realty business--many pilots are moving out to Argyle/Bartonville area...
Southlake is too crowded for them--selling and taking their profits north...
people live in HP because that location and other factors suit them
I don't think someone would choose Highland Park who worked in Westlake at the new Fidelity site

Old 09-05-2008, 08:09 PM

6,831 posts, read 14,082,420 times
The majority of the folks who live in Southlake could afford to live in HP. I think it's a simple matter of personal preference. I do think there are some homes in HP that Southlake folks could not afford.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:30 PM

636 posts, read 1,919,572 times
Seriously, think about what you're saying. And yes, I'm still calling BS on it. I'm not trying to be rude, but it really is a preposterous notion.

From a purely economic standpoint, if someone could buy a 8k sq. ft. house in HP for 500k, then sure, they'd take it just for the resale value, then sell it and move to where they really wanted to live, if HP wasn't right for them. I'm not arguing with you there.

But many can afford either location; some choose SL and some choose HP. You can't possibly think everyone that lives in SL lives there as a second choice; that's ridiculous. And no, of course I'm not just talking about pilots.

Again, not being rude, but it's really not a stretch to face the fact that people actually live in SL as their first choice.

Lastly, I'll say again for the record that I'm not a big fan of SL at all.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-06-2008 at 02:24 AM..

Old 09-06-2008, 12:53 AM

13,186 posts, read 15,009,812 times
I live in SL and you're not far off the mark. Commute times being equal and both having the same housing costs, HP/UP would win hands down.

But as said earlier, housing is much more expensive in HP/UP. So you get a better value in SL.

Also, I think SL homes will appreciate more over time than HP/UP which is a more mature market.

The economic center of Dallas - Ft. Worth seems to be moving north and west slowly every year towards DFW airport.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:17 AM

37,313 posts, read 60,046,832 times
Economic Center--DFW--nope--I just don't see that--if that were true I think land values in my town would be better than they are...
but Las Colinas has gotten some big players with Exxon moving out that way--and the Blackberry people now are off John Carpenter/114 north of O'Connor--but other smaller companies are choosing areas like Frisco for their headquarters so that people can live and work in reasonable commute time...
Fidelity choosing Westlake was a big vote of confidence for that suburban area...and it pulled a lot of people into the surrounding towns like Keller/Southlake/Colleyville...since not everyone can afford Westlake itself...

but Federal Reserve is still on N Pearl--it would take a lot for guys like that to move out of Dallas proper...and the downtown area itself has started to revitalize and the inner core will probably be strengthened with the desireability for public tranpostation on the upsurge--that is a long-range popular factor in demographics that has strengthened the land values/construction budgets for housing as well as commercial...

Old 09-06-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I live in SL and you're not far off the mark. Commute times being equal and both having the same housing costs, HP/UP would win hands down.

But as said earlier, housing is much more expensive in HP/UP. So you get a better value in SL.

Also, I think SL homes will appreciate more over time than HP/UP which is a more mature market.

The economic center of Dallas - Ft. Worth seems to be moving north and west slowly every year towards DFW airport.
Thank you. The 1st HONEST answer.
The rest of these people live in "another reality,"--rationalize rationalize rationalize..
Pay attention to padcrasher and be honest with yourselves.

back to the business class ticket vs. first class ticket analogy:both are nice but for the same price I will take the heavy trees and character, school, university, charm, housing appreciation, urban setting any day. UNLESS I was a pilot or tied to a company in that was located in the sticks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas