Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 02:18 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Just spitballing...maybe some elites may not care as much about NMSF because they don't need the scholarships or the prestige factor to fund tuition at or gain admission to elite schools.
NMSF is automatic if you score above "X" on the PSAT. I assume the percentage of kids at those schools taking the PSAT is at least as high (if not higher) than the very good-to-excellent publics.

Beyond that, I have no idea what the NMSF percentages are at any of the non-top-tier privates. Heck, I don't really know what they were this year at the top tier privates. I only recall some percentages in the past (which have been VERY high).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 02:26 PM

427 posts, read 494,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Allen as a city and a district is actually pretty high up there in terms of affluence as well, probably about equal to Frisco if not higher as best in Collin County for a large city.
Of course yes - but have you seen that I compared affluence with HP and not with Frisco or McKinney? Why try to say something just for the sake of posting? In fact, Allen's numbers are better than most schools in Frisco and McKinney except may be Liberty in %, though overall numbers are still high 20 vs. 17, it's better than most schools or at least comparable to Frisco and McKinney overall. And the point is that well-round education and facilities are important and not 1.5 % vs. 2.5% fights. Some of the elementary schools in West Allen come up in top in various by Niche etc. Lots of improvements happening like STEAM center. Students should be able to do it with passion, interest. Also my guess is that some of the numbers in Plano etc. are due to parental/social pressures from some of the Asian cultures and like someone said bucket full of NMSF's doesn't mean all of them will turn into game changing personalities.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 09-18-2017 at 02:47 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 02:52 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,176,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Just spitballing...maybe some elites may not care as much about NMSF because they don't need the scholarships or the prestige factor to fund tuition at or gain admission to elite schools.
LOL! Just have a look at elite college admission battleground and you'll know that public and private school parents/students would give their livers to have these prestigious national awards on resumes.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:53 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Allen has a pretty small percent of Asians less than Plano or McKinney, and statistically the states with the highest Asian percentage aren't performing at outstanding levels on SAT tests. It's also odd that lower performers are attending to their 'passions' in high school while higher performers are all just busting it due to societal pressures.

If I were you, and you are so interested in passion, then congratulate their passion and stop making dumb comparisons.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:57 PM

I don't know, probably academics aren't the main focus of these schools and their academic selection criterion at admission time is not as high as academically focused privates and obviously they need to worry about finances and connections as well.

Last edited by UnfairPark; 09-18-2017 at 04:05 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Allen has a pretty small percent of Asians less than Plano or McKinney, and statistically the states with the highest Asian percentage aren't performing at outstanding levels on SAT tests. It's also odd that lower performers are attending to their 'passions' in high school while higher performers are all just busting it due to societal pressures.

If I were you, and you are so interested in passion, then congratulate their passion and stop making dumb comparisons.
Exactly. Not every student but at least top students with solid math/English/test taking skills should be acing SAT/ACT/PSAT without parental pressure or Karen Dillard's blessings. If they aren't prepared then they'll have a tough time with MCAT, GMAT, GRE, LSAT etc.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:43 PM

427 posts, read 494,684 times
Quote:

Another post trying hard to say something. I am not saying ALL are Asians or everyone got selected because of pressure. I mean to say - there "could be some" percentage as recently saw these spikes in numbers matching immigration patterns. I do not think there are 70/80 numbers 10-15 years ago.

And in no way Allen is inferior. It consistently ranks top in many surveys, lists for parks, quality of life, schools, entertainment, recreation, safety, city services and shopping. What surprises me most is - even though Allen schools consistently perform on par or equal or more than many schools in Frisco and McKinney - I see some so called senior posters on this forum constantly bashing Allen, bringing Allen into picture even in irrelevant topics. Example - why single out Allen and compare with West Plano school (the highest ranking one in Plano) specifically in this post and not other schools in Frisco, McKinney, Carrollton, Lewisville, Colony, Richardson, Prosper etc. that also have far less numbers? There are tons of schools across DFW that have lesser numbers. Let them have fun but the reality is reality.

Just recent rankings from Money Magazine: http://time.com/money/collection/bes...allen-texas-2/

Last edited by DFWUser1; 09-18-2017 at 04:49 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 10:01 PM

578 posts, read 479,389 times
Quote:

Don't quote me on this. I just spend 15 minutes scanning through the names, and it's far from accurate.

Among 21 NMSF in Allen HS, 5 (24%) are Chinese, 5 (24%) are Indians, and 11 (52%) are others.

Among 17 NMSF in Liberty HS, 4 (24%) are Chinese, 11 (65%) are Indians, and 2 (12%) are others.

Among 77 NMSF in PWHS, 45 (58%) are Chinese, 16 (21%) are Indians, and 16 (21%) are others.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:26 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
Quote:
However, do know that PWSH doesn't provide any PSAT help, their focus is on providing a solid education.
Do they really not? If so, that's impressive. However, I'd bet good many the vast majority of their finalists took private prep. I think it is awesome that other schools offer it to motivated students as a course or extracurricular option free.

I see Jasper HS offers it--I'd honestly be surprised if Plano West does not.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:05 PM

445 posts, read 413,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Do they really not? If so, that's impressive. However, I'd bet good many the vast majority of their finalists took private prep. I think it is awesome that other schools offer it to motivated students as a course or extracurricular option free.

I see Jasper HS offers it--I'd honestly be surprised if Plano West does not.
Plano west is senior high, grades 11-12. PSAT is taken at the beginning of 11th grade. When will plano west provide the prep? They just take the credit of other people's work, same as TAMS. It may be Plano ISD's credit but no way it's plano west's credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas