Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 12:40 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKDFW View Post
What exactly did these Asians do to you to cloud your judgement so much?
Replace 'Asians' with 'people' and my answer is entitlement annoys me greatly. Especially when it comes from people that already have plenty.

I get the same way about anyone who files a first-world-problem lawsuit so they can get even more pie because the piece they have isnt quite big enough. Many people fall into this category including Asian parents that throw a legal fit because their kid didn't get into Harvard.

Those are the threads you'll find i'm most active on if you care to read through all my posts. I'm usually quite impressed with asian students and their academic achievements. We could learn from them. But not in this instance. I'm very unimpressed with this... whining.

Eta: Nice cherry picking of my posts btw.... impressive.

Last edited by BLDSoon; 09-22-2017 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Sp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 12:44 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
Then fix the student debt problem. Make it so that whoever has the merit and willingness to study can attend an university without a student loan, like other countries do. If you don't allow qualified people to come in and compete for the jobs, the jobs will go to them.

Oh yeah, I'll get right on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
I think we can say Anti-jew attitudes were rampant back then...period. Anti-black attitudes were and still are rampant. Anti-Irish attitudes were rampant at some point too as are the anti-mexican ones that seem to recycle every so many decades.

Those attitudes have nothing to do with keeping a balanced student body and have a everything to do with racism and anti-semitism. They were not about to have a usable percentage of those groups due to attitudes at that time. That's their history to grapple with and is not the issue in this discussion.

This discussion is about a hyper-competitive group that cannot handle losing.(That group does not encompass all Asians either. Most Asian students do not attend Ivy League schools and many that do think these claims are absurd.)

If they lose, then it must be the system. Forget the fact that large numbers of caucasian, Hispanic, International, and everything in between students suffer the same fate every year. No, its not fair, cause they are special so they 'should' be allowed in because their perfect scores trump whatever educational mission the PRIVATE schools set for themselves. They aced the tests, show them to their dorm room.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Everyone cant get in. And yes that means everyone including those that qualify.

ETA: I'm willing to bet Caucasian kids (of whatever religion) get rejected far more than any other group from the Ivies in the name of 'balance'. For the group that benefits the most from this to sue/complain about it is hilarity.
You make good points.

I did have quite a few classmates (Jewish, obviously, like me) who "qualified" for Ivy League schools but who were rejected in favor of "inferior" applicants with lower test scores.

I had different goals and aspirations so I didn't apply to places like Harvard or Yale. I didn't think I'd get in, so I didn't bother. I wasn't butthurt about it either. I know lots of brilliant people who didn't make the cut.

It does seem like some people feel entitled to an admission letter from the university of their choice because they have a high class rank, lots of extracurriculars, a high SAT/ACT score, etc. but that's simply not the case.

You're right that private universities can build their classes however they want and they don't owe applicants an explanation or apology for their rejection.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:55 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
@BLDSoon Every kid is applying for themselves, just because anoother Asian got in, doesn't mean he'll not challange discrimination against himself. There are too many legacy admits in these schools, apply this quota on them. What sort of twisted expectation is this that Asian Americans need to shut up and put up because they have enough. It's not like someone is handing it to them for free.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:58 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
@BLDSoon Every kid is applying for themselves, just because anoother Asian got in, doesn't mean he'll not challange discrimination against himself. There are too many legacy admits in these schools, apply this quota on them. What sort of twisted expectation is this that Asian Americans need to shut up and put up because they have enough. It's not like someone is handing it to them for free.
Too many legacies according to whom? The schools are the ones who select the criteria by which admission is decided. If you think they value the wrong things, don't apply.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:01 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Too many legacies according to whom? The schools are the ones who select the criteria by which admission is decided. If you think they value the wrong things, don't apply.
If I go to a restaurant and they say we don't serve your race or gender or religion or sexual orientation or whatever, should I just quietly go to another restaurant or stay hungry?

Old 09-22-2017, 01:11 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
It's fine Ivies don't want to admit the most qualified students - the same as if Hooters doesn't want to hire the most qualified servers. But the time will come when what they are selling is surpassed by others who take advantage of their blindspots, and some could argue that time is already here. The bad thing is that there are plenty of jobs you can only get with an Ivy degree (government, political mostly) and that causes real problems down the stream.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Asian-American students comprise about 20% of Ivy league students more or less. That far exceeds their general population in the United States.

Legacy admits include all sorts (Including Asians) and that number was at 30% for Harvard last year.

The above numbers do not include international students who are a large majority Asian and comprise of about 15% of the student body at the Ivies.

So yes, i think that's plenty of pie. These complaints would have merit if there weren't already so many Asian students attending these schools.

Not getting into Harvard is not getting into Harvard. 95% of those that try, dont. Cry me a river.

They may be applying for themselves, but anyone intelligent enough to apply to an Ivy should know that a school that admits 5/6% of its applicants is highly likely to reject them irrespective of credentials and should have a plan B. The educational world should be that kids oyster especially if highly qualified. Plan B should be another just as good maybe better school...not whining and a frivolous lawsuit.

Last edited by BLDSoon; 09-22-2017 at 01:32 PM..

Old 09-22-2017, 01:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:

Nobody's handing most people anything for free. You think rejected applicants of other ethnic backgrounds didn't work just as hard?

Quote:
If I go to a restaurant and they say we don't serve your race or gender or religion or sexual orientation or whatever, should I just quietly go to another restaurant or stay hungry?
That's a ridiculous analogy. Restaurants serve the public. Private universities don't.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
If you go to a highly desirable restaurant with a group of a 100 and they tell you we max groups out at 30...You find another desirable restaurant to eat at. Yes you have money. But they would like to keep their tables open for as many groups as possible. No hard feelings.

You can leave and go eat elsewhere...or you can file a frivolous lawsuit.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:45 PM

445 posts, read 413,848 times
Quote:
Yesterday's discrimination is today's history. Today's discrimination will make tomorrow's history. By the way, I'm not talking about "freshers" or "stale", talking about discrimination between legal American born children, every new born has equal rights, regardless of who their parents are.
Agreed. Why do they even need to know about race on the application. These are academic institution, they should admit people based on academic merit, and maybe some extracurricular but not based on who their parents are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas