Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 08:48 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,621,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronda86 View Post
Redlionjr you completely read my mind on a couple of things. The exact reason why I would never move to Atlanta because of the perception of being on the down low that’s my first response when someone mentions Atlanta . I will definitely try those hashtags on Instagram the only thing that I’ve done so far on Instagram is #Blackstylist for hair stylist but didn’t think to try blackdallas but will do. Very familiar with Waco, TX because I watch home improvement channel all day it’s always in Waco . I’ve been told to look into Arlington as a possibility I haven’t heard of the other cities but will check them out . I’ll save all those spots to check it out . I figure once I socialize at a few spots I’ll def have a better idea of great socializing spots and all else fails the dating app for sure so I’m just really try to determine where to live. So many subcities and options . Thanks for detailed response.
Yeah I went to college in Waco and as soon as I was done with school I got the hell out of Waco. As far as Atlanta, I do think the stereotype of Atlanta having so many down low brothas is a bit exaggerated but than again I'm a heterosexual black male so that's really none of my business. I just heard so many negatives from Black women while I was living there about the dating scene. I know a couple of my friends that live in Arlington. It's the bigger suburb and has a little social scene of it's own. Public transit is garbage though but if you have a car you should be good in Arlington. It's not to far from Ft.Worth as well which has more of a blue collar feel with black professionals there.

I will say the other cities I mentioned are more family based but there are social events in those places along with other areas that you can meet Black people in your demographic outside of downtown/uptown and Addison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 10:26 PM

317 posts, read 228,234 times
Quote:
Wanted to get input on moving from Arizona to Dallas Texas. Multitude of reasons why I want to move but let’s some it up as a much needed change. I’ve been planing this move for 10 years and now that I’m older I think it’s time . I’m 31 years old, single, no children, masters degree wanting to move to a town similar to Phoenix with cost of living. I’m extra excited about the possibility of being around more African Americans and the dating scene . Can anyone give me their experience on the dating scene in Dallas Texas? This age I’m not too into going to the club although I go here and there, i’m kind of over all of that and ready to settle down and marriage and kids before my eggs expire lol. The dating scene is Arizona is very ughhh. A lot of the men even in there 30’s have nothing together. It’s hard to find someone with triple combo Good job, Car and own place and those are just the basics to start without even going into personalities etc. Hoping Texas will be a good move for me. Seems huge I don’t know what part to move in Dallas . My job would transfer me to 75244 zip code I believe. I heard Addison and farmers branch is a little more upscale. The perfect location for me is a location that has some successful African American middle age men between 30-40 of good quality and also has weekend activities that are not to far whether it’s paint and sit, day drinking places, top golf, etc . Phoenix doesn’t have a lot of entertainment but I’m fine being a home body but can’t meet people at home . What cities or zip codes or areas in Dallas would you recommend ?
Ronda, you will do fine. You're definitely making the right move if you're searching for some melanin magic, the metroplex as a whole will serve you well. Even if you don't move to the South Side (which may be too much culture for you all at once lol) you will still benefit from a strong presence of brothas and sistas hovering around the 10-15% ratio of the population in most places.

Someone else mentioned keeping your mind open to making friends of other races, thats just common sense. Someone else also mentioned that people marry young here, that is true, I guess its the cultural christian roots, despite some pretty low church attendance rates. Speaking of which, if church is your thing, you will find plenty of dates!

good luck and welcome... brothas will be throwing their junk at you in no time lol (no disrespect)

Old 05-28-2019, 02:39 AM

16 posts, read 28,017 times
You’re right church is a great spot to meet people. What about thoughts on Desoto , TX?

Old 05-28-2019, 12:11 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
You’re right church is a great spot to meet people. What about thoughts on Desoto , TX?
DeSoto is one of the most affluent predominantly Black Suburbs in the nation. Has a ton of black owned businesses and communities overall. I wouldn’t necessarily rent an apartment, only a few good ones out that way. And even though it’s definitely a relatively nice place to raise a family and settled down the school a out there are not the best. (Very similar to PG county, Black wealth not translating to highly rated public schools like so many wealthy white communities) but overall it’s nice and it’s a lot of us out there having thangs if you know what I mean. Even Houston doesn’t have an affluent predominantly black suburb like Desoto.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:34 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
Quote:
Hope I’m replying correctly this thing is a little confusing . Thank you for the info . Are you referring to uptown and downtown as living ? Any zip codes so I can know what to search for ? I don’t have a limit on dating just preference but def open as I have White and Mexican friends as well and my dad is from Nigeria :-)
Yes living in uptown, downtown and the other areas mentioned including Kessler Park, Addison, Richardson, Irving and Plano. Also, the medical district.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:25 PM

986 posts, read 1,666,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

Also I lived in Atlanta for 2 years and can tell you that there are horror stories galore from Black women dating experience living there. When I moved there I generally got the feeling that Black women were relieved to find out I wasn't originally from Atlanta. It's this perception that there are so many downlow Black Men in Atlanta on top of the fact Women outnumber Men in the professional world at a decent rate that it makes it even more difficult for black women in the dating scene in Atlanta. I would hear the complaints much more in Atlanta than I did in Dallas.
THIS. Dating in Atlanta is horrible for an AA woman. I've had better luck dating here than I did in Atlanta.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
We are definitely in Desoto. Between Desoto and Cedar Hill, you will pick up on many amenities that you didn't even realize you were missing. Small example, you want to get a greeting card for a gift, you run into the drug store and you find the Mahogany Collection greeting cards, or you can go to the local recreation center and take Swing-out/Chicago Style step dance classes.

Unfortunately, you will not find a nice corporate job on the Southside, your best bet would be downtown. I suggest renting an apartment near Trinity Groves, its the most convenient in-town location for everything.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Yeah I went to college in Waco and as soon as I was done with school I got the hell out of Waco. As far as Atlanta, I do think the stereotype of Atlanta having so many down low brothas is a bit exaggerated but than again I'm a heterosexual black male so that's really none of my business. I just heard so many negatives from Black women while I was living there about the dating scene. I know a couple of my friends that live in Arlington. It's the bigger suburb and has a little social scene of it's own. Public transit is garbage though but if you have a car you should be good in Arlington. It's not to far from Ft.Worth as well which has more of a blue collar feel with black professionals there.

I will say the other cities I mentioned are more family based but there are social events in those places along with other areas that you can meet Black people in your demographic outside of downtown/uptown and Addison.
DFW is a great place to live the fast single life, then settle down, without one lifestyle threatening the other. Atlanta/DC/NYC/LA too turned up.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
We are definitely in Desoto. Between Desoto and Cedar Hill, you will pick up on many amenities that you didn't even realize you were missing. Small example, you want to get a greeting card for a gift, you run into the drug store and you find the Mahogany Collection greeting cards, or you can go to the local recreation center and take Swing-out/Chicago Style step dance classes.

Unfortunately, you will not find a nice corporate job on the Southside, your best bet would be downtown. I suggest renting an apartment near Trinity Groves, its the most convenient in-town location for everything.
I like the sound of that even more Excited for the move . According to Google it looks like the Trinity Grove area is 75212 would these apartments in the Trinity grove? https://sevilleuptown.com/floorplans/. Is this the same as uptown or downtown Dallas. So Trinity Grove is central to it looks like most of these places. Maybe 15 miles from De Soto maybe 15-20 miles from Arlington it looks like 15 miles or so from my job which would be 75244. Truly don’t mind driving an hour I drive more than that right now in Arizona my job has a location 75244 Dallas , I believe they have a Arlington Texas location possibly and then I know they have an Austin Texas location. But if I have to drive 45 minutes to an hour I do not mind and just want to find the best place to live

Old 05-29-2019, 02:35 AM

I think I got it I think the best places to be are either Arlington, De Soto, Trinity Grove, uptown/downtown Dallas I don’t know if those are the same thing Or Addison . That seems like a lot of options for me to choose from LOL but I think I got the hang of it Hopefully. But it looks like the downside to De Soto is there’s not a lot of nice apartments to rent which of course that’s all I would be looking for initially so I probably wouldn’t necessarily live in De Soto right now. Because I do want to make sure the apartments I choose have washer dryer in unit fitness center and all of that stuff. So right now living actually inside of deSoto does not seem feasible but living nearby which would be I guess Trinity Grove. That plus side about Arlington are the houses are very affordable to buy although your property taxes in Texas are insane of about $4000 a year compared to my property taxes in Arizona of $700 a year . So Arlington would be interesting as well but it is seems to be a little bit larger so I wouldn’t know what side of Arlington is the best side to be on. Well I probably wouldn’t start out at Arlington even if I do end up there after a year. So that really leaves Trinity Grove, and Addison. And farmers branch. Maybe Trinity Grove it will be . The place side is I’m renting so I can always move and try out a new place. Not really focused on it being family orientated right now because it’s just me myself and I. But I will look into that in the future. I’ve Instagram and Facebook and googled so much about this move I’m ready for it to happen sighhhhhh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas