Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 03:44 AM

16 posts, read 28,009 times

Advertisements

OK take that back I think I’m going to go with 75201 or 75202 which is downtown Dallas. I think plenty of people said that was a good spot I have plenty of apartments to choose from and it’s downtown Dallas so I think that might be my spot. Any recommendations of not using downtown Dallas based upon what I’m looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 09:16 AM

80 posts, read 73,330 times
Landed in Trinity Groves last year when I relocated from the West Coast. For context, my family is multi-racial (Black, Asian, White, and Latino) and has lived in Mexico, Los Angeles, and Seattle. Chose Trinity Groves based on proximity to work and for the unique offerings Sylvan Thirty and Bishop Arts/Jefferson provides. I was in corporate housing for the first month near Oak Lawn/Uptown and found the plane noise from Love Field unbearable. North Dallas was too cookie-cutter. South Dallas is too far from work, like North Dallas, although not cookie-cutter, which I appreciate. West Dallas was the winner. At the end of the day, commute, errand ease, and safety are most important to me. I go all over the metroplex on my free time.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:06 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
DFW is a great place to live the fast single life, then settle down, without one lifestyle threatening the other. Atlanta/DC/NYC/LA too turned up.
Atlanta is pretty family friendly and REGULAR outside of a few hot spots honestly. There’s even family friendly neighborhoods inside the perimeter(ITP). I moved to Atlanta with my wife and due to our careers we’re definitely in the mix of a lot of scenes with young single socialites. Our marriage was threatened at all. Depends on the ppl. Me and my wife are thinking about moving back honestly with our child of course. DC has plenty of family friendly suburbs surrounding the city as well. Can’t speak on LA or NYC like that. I do think the metroplex as a whole have better public schools which is a big plus for a family. That’s why me and my wife are also considering moving to DFW even over Houston.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:14 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
DeSoto is one of the most affluent predominantly Black Suburbs in the nation. Has a ton of black owned businesses and communities overall. I wouldn’t necessarily rent an apartment, only a few good ones out that way. And even though it’s definitely a relatively nice place to raise a family and settled down the school a out there are not the best. (Very similar to PG county, Black wealth not translating to highly rated public schools like so many wealthy white communities) but overall it’s nice and it’s a lot of us out there having thangs if you know what I mean. Even Houston doesn’t have an affluent predominantly black suburb like Desoto.
Good post and information.

I grew up in DeSoto and lived there for 16 years (1990-2006). The qualities that made it an attractive community back then - family-oriented, safe, strong civic pride, and many well-maintained neighborhoods - are still present today. We lived in an apartment complex that was decent, not low or high-end, and most residents were families with children. A few apartment complexes have gone up since I left. I'm not sure how nice or upscale they may be, however, DeSoto is still suburban at heart with very little to no nightlife/singles scene. As you said, the typical professional moving to DeSoto is either looking to settle down and start a family or already has family and prefers a suburban lifestyle.

I'm also a product of DeSoto schools which were reputable and academically high performing when I was a student. The current school situation is disappointing, especially the problems exposed this year regarding past leadership and fiscal issues. The elementary school I attended was the one they decided to shutter for two years. Hopefully with the new leadership, the district can get its act together. It isn't a lost cause. The surrounding southwest Dallas County districts are in better shape overall.

I meant to post this yesterday and got sidetracked, so if it doesn't fit in with the more recent posts, I apologize.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:16 PM

317 posts, read 227,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronda86 View Post
I like the sound of that even more Excited for the move . According to Google it looks like the Trinity Grove area is 75212 would these apartments in the Trinity grove? https://sevilleuptown.com/floorplans/. Is this the same as uptown or downtown Dallas. So Trinity Grove is central to it looks like most of these places. Maybe 15 miles from De Soto maybe 15-20 miles from Arlington it looks like 15 miles or so from my job which would be 75244. Truly don’t mind driving an hour I drive more than that right now in Arizona my job has a location 75244 Dallas , I believe they have a Arlington Texas location possibly and then I know they have an Austin Texas location. But if I have to drive 45 minutes to an hour I do not mind and just want to find the best place to live
These apartments are in oaklawn, another excellent choice. I lived there for 7 years. Easy access to Dallas North Tollway which is what you will take to work.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:06 PM

Okay oaklawn. What zip code is the trinity grove that you were referring too?

Old 05-29-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
Good post and information.

I grew up in DeSoto and lived there for 16 years (1990-2006). The qualities that made it an attractive community back then - family-oriented, safe, strong civic pride, and many well-maintained neighborhoods - are still present today. We lived in an apartment complex that was decent, not low or high-end, and most residents were families with children. A few apartment complexes have gone up since I left. I'm not sure how nice or upscale they may be, however, DeSoto is still suburban at heart with very little to no nightlife/singles scene. As you said, the typical professional moving to DeSoto is either looking to settle down and start a family or already has family and prefers a suburban lifestyle.

I'm also a product of DeSoto schools which were reputable and academically high performing when I was a student. The current school situation is disappointing, especially the problems exposed this year regarding past leadership and fiscal issues. The elementary school I attended was the one they decided to shutter for two years. Hopefully with the new leadership, the district can get its act together. It isn't a lost cause. The surrounding southwest Dallas County districts are in better shape overall.

I meant to post this yesterday and got sidetracked, so if it doesn't fit in with the more recent posts, I apologize.
Very helpful thank you for the reply . Desoto once I settle down but not right now. Makes sense !

Old 05-29-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeliza View Post
Landed in Trinity Groves last year when I relocated from the West Coast. For context, my family is multi-racial (Black, Asian, White, and Latino) and has lived in Mexico, Los Angeles, and Seattle. Chose Trinity Groves based on proximity to work and for the unique offerings Sylvan Thirty and Bishop Arts/Jefferson provides. I was in corporate housing for the first month near Oak Lawn/Uptown and found the plane noise from Love Field unbearable. North Dallas was too cookie-cutter. South Dallas is too far from work, like North Dallas, although not cookie-cutter, which I appreciate. West Dallas was the winner. At the end of the day, commute, errand ease, and safety are most important to me. I go all over the metroplex on my free time.
Yes it seems like trinity grove will get me pretty much anywhere indecent time . Do you know how the social scene is there ?

Old 05-29-2019, 09:17 PM

80 posts, read 73,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronda86 View Post
Yes it seems like trinity grove will get me pretty much anywhere indecent time . Do you know how the social scene is there ?

Hey Ronda- There are a ton of restaurants, bars, and breweries that have happy hour, live music, etc. in Trinity Groves. I like being out of the tangle of downtown but close enough to hop in if wanted; within minutes really. That said, I have a couple of coworkers who live in Addison and really like it too. Uptown would give you walkability to restaurants, etc. The downside for me was the airplane noise as Love Field is literally right there. If you don't mind it, that might be a good spot for you. A few of the single women at work have mentioned they find dating in Dallas easier than previous locations; namely LA. I hope you find the place that works for you. Good luck on the move!

Old 05-30-2019, 08:55 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Atlanta is pretty family friendly and REGULAR outside of a few hot spots honestly. There’s even family friendly neighborhoods inside the perimeter(ITP). I moved to Atlanta with my wife and due to our careers we’re definitely in the mix of a lot of scenes with young single socialites. Our marriage was threatened at all. Depends on the ppl. Me and my wife are thinking about moving back honestly with our child of course. DC has plenty of family friendly suburbs surrounding the city as well. Can’t speak on LA or NYC like that. I do think the metroplex as a whole have better public schools which is a big plus for a family. That’s why me and my wife are also considering moving to DFW even over Houston.
Yeah the perception of Atlanta as this place where only gay men are and no one here is raising a family is highly exaggerated. I mean do people really think families don't exist in places like LA, DC, NY. I mean the feel of the downtown/midtown/Buckhead may feel more turnt up, but outside of that Atlanta is as sprawling and suburban as Dallas if not more.

As far as Dallas/Phoenix. Even though Dallas is more difficult to find black spaces than places like Houston, DC, and Atlanta, Dallas has immensely more black culture than Phoenix. My sister used to live in Phoenix so I visited quite often. The OP should experience a much better dating/singles scene in Dallas. The only thing is the ratios in Dallas for black women with all the professionals that are started to get more lopsided, but it's still going to be immensely better than it would in a place like Atlanta or DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas