Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 12:53 PM

5,275 posts, read 6,450,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
So how does it work that west Texas gets snow when DFW doesn't? I thought West Texas was drier?

It kind of depends on what you mean by 'west Texas'. The western side of Texas, especially up north, gets way more snow than DFW. Amarillo for example has already gotten snow this year. I'm pretty sure El Paso gets a light dusting of snow nearly every year.

The southern part of west Texas gets less snow than DFW, but like DFW, there can be cold fronts with rain that come through and create ice or snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 08:16 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,017,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Many of times the air will be cold enough to support sleet or snow in Dallas but the moisture is absent. I know a couple of years ago it snowed 2-3 inches in Austin, Houston and New Orleans meanwhile Dallas was 26, cold and windy. haha. But when it does snow in DFW the amounts will be more of the order of 5 to 6 inches so take comfort in that.
As someone that doesn't mind a little winter weather, that's the most annoying part of DFW.

Sometimes it feels like we have a bubble surrounding us. It might be 22 in Dallas and 31/32 in Houston/Austin, yet we get all the high winds and nary a drop of snow will fall while they get snow.

Even worse is when it's 35-40 degrees and we get heavy rain. I like the weather, but it's like "dang, just drop a few degrees so we can get some flakes." We are way overdue for some decent snowfall, especially Dallas proper. Seems like it snows all around us and conveniently we get two flakes.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:30 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,291,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
As someone that doesn't mind a little winter weather, that's the most annoying part of DFW.

Sometimes it feels like we have a bubble surrounding us. It might be 22 in Dallas and 31/32 in Houston/Austin, yet we get all the high winds and nary a drop of snow will fall while they get snow.

Even worse is when it's 35-40 degrees and we get heavy rain. I like the weather, but it's like "dang, just drop a few degrees so we can get some flakes." We are way overdue for some decent snowfall, especially Dallas proper. Seems like it snows all around us and conveniently we get two flakes.
Amen.

The thing is you will get the cold rain and then it will drop to 30 at night and you get ice even if it will be melted by midday. I think it would be nicer if it was 25 when we got precipitation so it could be snow which is fun and easier to deal with.

Imagine if the majority of Jan was below freezing! We get about 2 inches of rain that month which could be a decent amount of snow!

If we had a good hard freeze the lakes would be amazing for snowmobiles and the local state parks would be great places to snowshoe or cross country ski!

Old 11-17-2019, 07:31 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,493,966 times
Today - Wednesday will be Autumn.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,351,674 times
I much prefer snow flurries over ice pellets. But I really don't want any accumulation of either.

Well, I take that back - just about every year we get what I like, which is enough snow to go outside, take some pictures and then it melts by the next day! LOL (NE Texas here, Tyler - about 2 hours east of DFW).

I've woken up to a heavy frost numerous times so far this fall, which is fine by me. It's nippy in the mornings but sunny and cool in the afternoons - sweet!

I like the chilly, wettish Januaries and Februaries we get here for a couple of reasons - first of all, I like the novelty of being able to sit by the fire and drink hot tea in the evenings, with a good book or a good movie, and secondly, I like that this season is short lived.

I do like fall and wish we had a longer fall pattern here but it's a trade off for those shorter winters which I love. And our springs are fabulous.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:00 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,565,609 times
It's been a fine fall. The temps have been very fall-ish.

You know, a couple of off-weather days doesn't mean a season is over.

One summer, in July, I got in my car early one morning to drive to summer school. It was so chilly that morning, I had to turn on the heater. I was like, "Wha-?"
Turns out it randomly was in the 60s! But we didn't go around saying summer was over.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:02 PM

9,549 posts, read 7,113,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's been a fine fall. The temps have been very fall-ish.

You know, a couple of off-weather days doesn't mean a season is over.

One summer, in July, I got in my car early one morning to drive to summer school. It was so chilly that morning, I had to turn on the heater. I was like, "Wha-?"
Turns out it randomly was in the 60s! But we didn't go around saying summer was over.
It's been more than a couple of off/weather days, but whateve.

The thread title was a bit of hyperbole to grab attention. No need to take it so literally.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:51 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,493,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
The thread title was a bit of hyperbole to grab attention. No need to take it so literally.
While the thread title might have been hyperbole, it was a legitimate point. September was hot, and weather in October/November has been inconsistent. There was not much of a gradual Fall cool down.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:33 PM

9,549 posts, read 7,113,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
While the thread title might have been hyperbole, it was a legitimate point. September was hot, and weather in October/November has been inconsistent. There was not much of a gradual Fall cool down.
Yes, thank you.

Today was an ideal leaf raking/blowing day! Really great fall color this year for us!

Old 11-24-2019, 08:03 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,291,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas