Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 02:13 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It may be illegal but it's not unethical.
Nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 03:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Nonsense.
as is this... (But VERY Texas "sxxxxx")
Quote:
ETA - the thing about the best beef coming from foul weather areas is old time nonsense Angus in particular do well just about anywhere short of legit desert and arctic conditions.. A whole bunch of the best beef available every year comes from Texas.
I've been a beef producer for 60+ yrs and did Ag livestock specific edu in Asia, Oceania, western Europe and USA (including Hawaii).

There is significant difference in beef product within breeds, and dependent on feed types and source (Climate). Grazing on sagebrush vs rich grasses (exclusively using either is not ideal).

Enjoy your favorite choice, just remember your subjective (educated) reasoning may be 'nonsense'.

BBQ is quite pricey, and too few providers of such know or control their source of product. Some do. Most don't.

$14 - $18/# is pretty rich for not knowing your product.
$25 - $35/ # is nonsense for not knowing or controlling your product.

Old 04-30-2022, 07:26 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Nonsense.
If you hire me to work at your restaurant and pay me $20 per hour and tell me my tips will be shared by everyone, that is ethical.

Just because it's something you don't like doesn't make it unethical.

Old 04-30-2022, 01:58 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I think it's actually weird that the poster you responded to took offense to you mentioning race when explaining East Texas bbq. It's really not a secret in East Texas. Even Anthony Bourdain acknowledge that fact when he visited Burns BBQ (Black owned Houston BBQ joint on his Houston episode.

I mean when people bring up Central Texas BBQ they make sure to include it's European influence on the BBQ specific to that region. It help explains why there's a regional difference in BBQ to begin with in this state.

With that said I'm from East Texas so I've always favored our style of BBQ over every other style of BBQ in the state. Matter fact I never had a plate of brisket till I moved to Houston. Still not a huge fan of brisket.

I can even recall when I was going to school in Waco and tried a local BBQ place close to downtown. I was taken back when I saw the watery sauce and emphasize on the brisket. We also include cheese in a lot of BBQ places in East Texas, so when I asked for a side of cheese at this local joint you would swear I was from another country. They act like they never heard of cheese with your BBQ.
Brother, you know what that was all about. That's why I just quit entertaining him and going back and forth with him...

Old 05-26-2022, 11:56 AM

7 posts, read 2,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Brisket isn't really "European" influence. It didn't become core to central TX barbecue until the 1950s-60s; shoulder clod was more common before that.

In East TX BBQ, beef is usually consumed in links. I don't know what cuts are usually put into them.
what is the european influence besides sausage?

I just read that brisket was smoked in a Jewish deli in TX long before the 50s/60s

Old 05-26-2022, 12:21 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon23 View Post
what is the european influence besides sausage?

I just read that brisket was smoked in a Jewish deli in TX long before the 50s/60s
That may be true, it's just that the mostly German- and Czech-owned (non-Jewish) meat markets in the central Texas area (stretching over towards Houston as well) didn't start purveying smoked brisket as a core BBQ product offering until that time period.

Old 05-26-2022, 12:27 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
European influence? Barbacoa was invented in the West Indies, refined by Mexican charros.

Old 05-27-2022, 07:46 AM

551 posts, read 1,099,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EP45 View Post
You can’t ethically violate the law.
Of course you can. Laws do not dictate ethics. An action is ethical or not independent of it's legality.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:15 AM

7 posts, read 2,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
European influence? Barbacoa was invented in the West Indies, refined by Mexican charros.

i didnt argue that. people argued there was european(german/czech) influence in central tx bbq. i dont see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas