Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 04:37 PM

537 posts, read 452,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
People in other states and other countries would strongly disagree with this. Only in Texas does the word BBQ only mean beef. I still find it unusual that sausage is seen as a BBQ item in Texas. I’m glad that we have so many different styles of BBQ available across the country. They are all delicious in their own way.
Pork is most certainly barbecue in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 08:51 AM

5,266 posts, read 6,418,533 times
Quote:
I still find it unusual that sausage is seen as a BBQ item in Texas
German lineage, especially in Central Texas - though now it's pretty filtered and buried. I actually think sausage is where DFW bbq places show their personality (or lack of).

Old 01-31-2022, 09:19 AM

573 posts, read 337,696 times
Quote:
I realized that I have lived in most of the BBQ places. North Carolina, Kansas City, and now Texas. NC style will always be my favorite because I grew up eating it and because it's a good value. Also, the side items are the best. --snip--
The bold is the key. That's what it is. The rest of your posts before and after are disingenuous. For example your post 31: "When I made the thread, I was mostly referring to the gourmet/nouveau Austin places because the restaurant has a very "commercial" feel. I guess it's just my NC roots, but BBQ places aren't supposed to be fancy inside."
--Well, the title of this thread you made is about DFW BBQ, not Austin. There is no Austin in DFW. Your first post only mentioned DFW and nearby, nothing about Austin. You are full of it with your changing goalposts. Second, because one person (a Jenna R at that) wrote that pork is not bbq, you attribute it to an entire state? Again, so full it. But I can play that too:
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Even though I'm from NC, I will have to go with Texas on this one! I had brisket at a BBQ fair a couple of years ago and loved it!
There you have it, everyone from NC thinks TX bbq is the best. It's the gospel so now you clearly agree that all bbq in TX is best!

Third, pricing - it's been demonstrated clearly by lz you have no clue about business costs and pricing, economy, supply and demand, etc. Then you try to compare prices between different places like a gas station bbq joint in NC to Pecan Lodge? I can do that too. Pecan Lodge brisket 1lb is $33, Noble Smoke in Charlotte is $38. Pork Ribs 1lb from PL is $24, and from NS it is $28. Explain - in detail like lz does - the price difference and how you can make the disingenuous claim that NC bbq is cheaper.

How about understanding the differences in bbq from all over the US and world, and enjoying it for what it is; instead of making up bs claims. Or just stick with your expertise on fish.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:53 AM

5,634 posts, read 4,960,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
German lineage, especially in Central Texas - though now it's pretty filtered and buried. I actually think sausage is where DFW bbq places show their personality (or lack of).
Not just German, but also Czech.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:54 AM

87 posts, read 98,952 times
I stopped eating at those corporate bbq joint. like Dicky, springcreek etc.
Bad meal and overcharge.
Go for those local pop up food trucks, I think they are more tasty, less expensive, and convienient. They don't have overhead like rent etc. So natuarally would charge less.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:28 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,006,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
Truth. I noticed BBQ started getting more hype in DFW as more transplants started flooding in and thought eating BBQ would make them feel more local and more "Texan." To most folks from California or other places far away from Texas, though, BBQ in North Texas might as well be BBQ in Central Texas anyway since it's all "Texas BBQ" to their undiscerning, rookie palates.

But Seeking BBQ in DFW to get a true feel for GOOD Texas BBQ is like going to Tennessee and looking for good, world famous BBQ on the other side of the state in Knoxville instead of Memphis.

It's still Texas, though, so folks are going to get fighting mad if you say anything unfavorable about their local BBQ (as evidenced by this thread)...

Agreed.

I grew up eating Carter's BBQ in South Dallas. It's still the best 'que I've had to this day. Chopped beef sandwiches, brisket, hot links, chicken etc., along with excellent homemade sweet potato pie, potato salad...you name it. They weren't afraid of using sauce and it had a unique twangy flavor that I can't seem to find anywhere else. The meat stood on its own but the sauce was good enough to drink lol!

The Central TX style of 'que is what most transplants flock to but I've always loved the more East TX style...probably since my parents are from there and that's what we know best. Give me collard greens, baked mac N cheese and cornbread over beans and cole slaw.

DFW does a lot of things well (just try some Indian food) but BBQ is probably one of our weaker areas relative to other cuisines.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:54 PM

9,931 posts, read 6,647,504 times
It’s like that everywhere. I recommend going to the least known BBQ spots. The food may just be better and it’ll be cheaper.

Old 01-31-2022, 01:04 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,062,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhongl View Post
I stopped eating at those corporate bbq joint. like Dicky, springcreek etc.
Bad meal and overcharge.
Go for those local pop up food trucks, I think they are more tasty, less expensive, and convienient. They don't have overhead like rent etc. So natuarally would charge less.
Yes, exactly. I went to Hutchins BBQ in Frisco over the weekend which has alot of hype. It was good, not great, I've made better and have had better from a non resturant

Old 01-31-2022, 02:36 PM

40,956 posts, read 49,260,682 times
A little bit of DFW legend...

When I first moved to Arlington to go to UTA back in the 70's there was a BBQ place right by campus on Cooper St. run by this great old man who just happened to be Black. Cooked some of the best BBQ in Texas.

Read the story .....

https://www.theshorthorn.com/gallery...a4bcf6878.html

Keep in mind, he named he place himself.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:42 PM

40,956 posts, read 49,260,682 times
Quote:
People in other states and other countries would strongly disagree with this. Only in Texas does the word BBQ only mean beef. I still find it unusual that sausage is seen as a BBQ item in Texas. I’m glad that we have so many different styles of BBQ available across the country. They are all delicious in their own way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
Pork is most certainly barbecue in Texas.
This is not other states and traditional old time Texans only eat Beef Brisket as their BBQ. Go to the old time Hill Country / Small country type places and you'll never find pork.

Chicken, Bologna, Sausages is all traditional Texas BBQ just not pulled pork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas