Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 03:40 PM

223 posts, read 141,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Almost all of the popular BBQ places in DFW seem to be owned by some corporate conglomerate who charge the same $20 price for 2 measly slices of brisket and $5 for a tiny cup of mac & cheese. I'm so tired of this and was telling a friend about this, so he recommended a place in Fort Worth on Magnolia. It was the same deal. I ended up spending $30 on two slices of brisket, two sides, and a tea.

I thought getting outside of DFW would be the answer but even in rural Marathon, TX, the BBQ place I went to was the same tiny portions for $30.

I'm originally from NC and BBQ out there is never corporate. It's usually a dumpy building out in the middle of nowhere on the side of some rural highway. At this place you can get a plate with two sides, hush puppies, and a tea for like $8.

Has it always been this way or has Texas BBQ gotten too trendy?

Good topic.

Secretly....I've always felt that BBQ in Dallas was on the expensive side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 03:48 PM

8,159 posts, read 3,706,220 times
This thread is making me hungry. My preference right now would be jerk chicken/pork

Old 02-03-2022, 03:57 PM

304 posts, read 186,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
This thread is making me hungry. My preference right now would be jerk chicken/pork
It’s odd how few places serve jerk chicken around DFW, relative to the size of the population. There’s a super killer spot in Arlington - when we tried rolling it out as a special a few years ago, it just didn’t sell. Everyone that bought it loved it, but now we only run it on 4/20

Old 02-03-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
Good topic.

Secretly....I've always felt that BBQ in Dallas was on the expensive side.
All restaurants are on the expensive side in Dallas. This county is an absolute nightmare to deal with and finds fees all over the place. Collin and Tarrant are no joke either.

Old 02-03-2022, 09:23 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,729,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lz_2022 View Post
It’s odd how few places serve jerk chicken around DFW, relative to the size of the population. There’s a super killer spot in Arlington - when we tried rolling it out as a special a few years ago, it just didn’t sell. Everyone that bought it loved it, but now we only run it on 4/20
Jamaica Gates?

Old 02-03-2022, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Jamaica Gates?
Yes. Haven’t been there in years. Hopefully they’ve survived.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:43 AM

256 posts, read 156,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Some of us prefer to minimize the sauce factor though. I don't understand why in East Texas and across the South, the sauce is equally important as the meat, and you may not have an option to leave it off or to the side. Plus, the sauce often has a lot of sweetness, and I don't want more than a hint of sweet.
Poor black folk in the southeast weren't getting the decently-marbled briskets the Central European Texans were getting - it was either hogs you raised/trapped, or stringy, tough beef. Likewise, salt was pretty expensive throughout the South until 120 years ago or so, far too much to be wasting it like you do nowadays with Dalmatian rub. You, by yourself, could grow tomatoes, peppers, mustard greens, and fruit to make vinegar with. So sauces came about as a way to stretch out the ingredients that make barbecue taste good.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
Poor black folk in the southeast weren't getting the decently-marbled briskets the Central European Texans were getting - it was either hogs you raised/trapped, or stringy, tough beef. Likewise, salt was pretty expensive throughout the South until 120 years ago or so, far too much to be wasting it like you do nowadays with Dalmatian rub. You, by yourself, could grow tomatoes, peppers, mustard greens, and fruit to make vinegar with. So sauces came about as a way to stretch out the ingredients that make barbecue taste good.
That and there wasn’t as much ranching on the eastern side. Again, BBQ is intensely regional, not as much racial.

Old 02-04-2022, 12:57 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,729,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lz_2022 View Post
That and there wasn’t as much ranching on the eastern side. Again, BBQ is intensely regional, not as much racial.
I think what the person was trying to say is that most of the delicious BBQ that we all eat today was a direct contribution by African American slaves. The term "pit master" comes directly from slavery. It was a knowledgeable slave in charge of cooking the hog over the pit. The slave owners ate the better cuts of meat and undesirable cuts like ribs were left for the slaves to eat. The slaves became masters of preparing tough cuts of meat into something edible. Ingredients like vinegar were used to make the meat taste better.

Today, BBQ spans all races but we still owe African American slaves a big thank you for developing a lot of the cooking techniques and interesting culinary ideas that we still use today.

Old 02-04-2022, 01:15 PM

It comes from slaves, from pioneers, from German/Czech, from cowboys, from Argentinians, from Mexicans, from Polynesian Islanders, from Aztecs, from indigenous tribes and is intensely regional as to the type of meat that is cooked, the style of cooking, the fuel that is used and the flavor profiles of the finished product.

Then it’s evolved over the last 10 or so centuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas