Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2022, 11:38 AM

24,696 posts, read 11,033,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
Southern Junction?
I pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 11:42 AM

304 posts, read 186,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
In my opinion, DFW BBQ joints in general try to piggyback off of Central Texas' worldwide popularity and reknown when it comes to 'que but doesn't do it nearly as well.

Good BBQ can DEFINITELY be found in EAST TEXAS, as it's more in line with the traditional BBQ that you would find outside of Texas in other parts of the South. Pork BBQ is definitely a thing across East Texas, and it is GOOD!!! It's the Black influence. People are talking about Pork BBQ is not eaten in Texas, but even in DFW, a lot of Black folks bar-b-que pork at home. The first time I came to Dallas in the early 2000s, I got invited to a 4th of July dinner by a Black family who lived in South Dallas. They had a big BBQ dinner with all PORK BBQ, and to this day, THAT was some of the best BBQ I have ever eaten. Way better than any of the BBQ restaurants I have experienced across DFW, regardless of whether we are talking about beef or pork.

Exactly. DFW has some of the best Indian food I have ever tasted anywhere in America, and I have also had some of the best Thai and Ethiopian food in my life in DFW. But 'Que?!? Meh.......
To your first point - that's pretty accurate, although changing rapidly. There are a number of spots that have popped up in the metroplex that sell some really legit stuff. 2 of the top 10 TM joints are in DFW, including #1, which is relatively new. The OP would have a panic attack though, one of them has a $14 burger... they wouldn't understand the Akaushi beef price versus ground chuck.

East TX does get more toward the Memphis style - sauce, heat, pork... regardless of race (really weird that you brought that into it as a capitalized focal point).

Old 02-01-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Depends on the amount of beer.
Apparently, beer is also a concern, and too damn expensive as well. Everyone should be drinking Natty's for $9/case. The hell with craft brewers that try to create something different, or something that doesn't taste like cold dog ****.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:45 PM

2,999 posts, read 3,113,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lz_2022 View Post
East TX does get more toward the Memphis style - sauce, heat, pork... regardless of race (really weird that you brought that into it as a capitalized focal point).
It's not "weird" that I brought up that the style of BBQ in East Texas is more inluenced by Black cooks; it's RELEVANT. Several people in the thread countered the guy who said traditional Texas BBQ is ONLY beef, by pointing out that Texas BBQ itself can be traced back to the way that slaves and ex-slaves in Texas smoked meat, and how they usually did it with pork. East Texas is more Southern than North and Central Texas, and has one of the more sizable Black populations in the entire state of Texas, so Black Southern cooking has a HUGE influence on cooking styles in East Texas, even when it comes to the style of BBQ East Texas leans toward. The poster I quoted even mentioned how he grew up eating East Texas BBQ with Soul Food sides. Who do you think Soul Food is associated with? Alaskan Inuits?

Old 02-01-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
It's not "weird" that I brought up that the style of BBQ in East Texas is more inluenced by Black cooks; it's RELEVANT. Several people in the thread countered the guy who said traditional Texas BBQ is ONLY beef, by pointing out that Texas BBQ itself can be traced back to the way that slaves and ex-slaves in Texas smoked meat, and how they usually did it with pork. East Texas is more Southern than North and Central Texas, and has one of the more sizable Black populations in the entire state of Texas, so Black Southern cooking has a HUGE influence on cooking styles in East Texas, even when it comes to the style of BBQ East Texas leans toward. The poster I quoted even mentioned how he grew up eating East Texas BBQ with Soul Food sides. Who do you think Soul Food is associated with? Alaskan Inuits?
Please actually read what I wrote.

East TX BBQ tends toward the Memphis style, regardless of race. While the origins from hundreds of years ago may have originated that style, it's not analogous to a racial profile - it's a regional style. the weird capitalization and fixation on it being a "racial" thing was what I called out.

Anyone can cook "soul food" - food is the one thing that can transcend boundaries and prejudices, provided people like you actually allow that.

Old 02-01-2022, 01:36 PM

2,999 posts, read 3,113,522 times
Quote:
Please actually read what I wrote.

East TX BBQ tends toward the Memphis style, regardless of race. While the origins from hundreds of years ago may have originated that style, it's not analogous to a racial profile - it's a regional style. the weird capitalization and fixation on it being a "racial" thing was what I called out.

Anyone can cook "soul food" - food is the one thing that can transcend boundaries and prejudices, provided people like you actually allow that.
No, YOU need to re-read through the thread. You were in such a hurry to try to gaslight and virtue signal that you dismiss information that's historically documented and relevant to what was mentioned earlier in the thread, as something that's "racial." You're a new poster with only a handful of posts, yet you have been arguing with people on this forum with the energy of a troll. Have a good day. I'm not going to join you in derailing the thread. You can find little petty stuff to squabble over with somebody else.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 02-01-2022 at 02:02 PM..

Old 02-01-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
No, YOU need to re-read through the thread. You were in such a hurry to try to gaslight and virtue signal that you dismiss information that's relevant to what was mentioned prior as something that's "racial." Have a good day. I'm not going to join you in derailing the thread. You can find little petty stuff to squabble with somebody else over.
Bye! Nobody’s gaslighting anything. I simply made a correct statement. You chose to not accept it.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:35 PM

24,696 posts, read 11,033,816 times
Quote:
Apparently, beer is also a concern, and too damn expensive as well. Everyone should be drinking Natty's for $9/case. The hell with craft brewers that try to create something different, or something that doesn't taste like cold dog ****.
Please chill! I personally like kidney rinse when it comes to beer and BBQ. Not that I do not know the good stuff as Ella said - Andechser Dunkles Hefeweizen.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:36 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,111,254 times
Moderator Note: I'm trying to keep this thread open, but the rudeness and petty bickering needs to stop. If you can't be respectful to another poster with a different opinion, please step away from the thread. Thank you!

Old 02-02-2022, 09:49 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,007,637 times
Quote:
Bingo.

The focus on Central Texas is a way to downplay and erase the cultural contributions of East Texas (and by extension, the great black pit-masters). It also allows us to swerve around having to talk about the states' role in slavery. We get so deep in the cowboy/Wild West talk and this was a conscious decision by the state to separate ourselves from the rest of the South and the past that comes with it.

Of course something like 25% of the old West cowboys were black......but that's another story.

Most transplants are going to flock to where the hype is. The hype is on Central TX 'que, so it's easy to whitewash the cuisine and focus almost exclusively on German/Czech techniques as if that's all there is. We aren't even talking about the barbacoa skills exhibited by many Mexican-American/Chicano/Tejanos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas