Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 08:37 PM

304 posts, read 185,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Hard Eight is really good. I prefer Hard Eight over Pecan.
Definitely borderline between the “really solid” and Craft tiers. I’ve just had a couple of inconsistent trips there. On the whole I certainly wouldn’t make a big argument against them being included in the top tier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 08:38 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
Cause you're still full of it saying stuff like "I'm originally from NC and BBQ out there is never corporate."
There are corporate BBQ. And you compare prices on a disingenuous basis. Compare places like Noble Smoke, Midwood, City, Smoke Pit to Pecan Lodge and similar places, don't compare a little no name roadside bbq joint to Pecan Lodge. You did that deliberately. So why are the 2-3 combo plates to those highly rated NC bbq joints $20-$28/person? (which is similar to prices at similar bbq joints in TX) Why aren't they all $8? Why are those places corporate if there is no such thing as a corporate bbq joint in NC as you stated as a fact?

I have no loyalty to TX bbq, and I'm not a native TX and our retirement won't be in TX. I enjoy trying different food from different states and different countries and judge it on its own merits. I'm also smart enough to not compare the price of steak from Sizzler to the price of steak from Al Biernet's.
Perhaps saying "never corporate" was the wrong choice of words, but most BBQ places in NC are dumpy or have barely any decor. If you've been to Cooper's BBQ in Fort Worth, the interior is similar in most NC BBQ places, just not as big. The upscale places in other states generally don't serve authentic NC style BBQ and cater to people who are from elsewhere. They also usually serve alcohol which is a draw for some people.

In DFW, I find that the places with the highest ratings (Pecan Lodge and Hard 8 come to mind) and best quality of meat often are more upscale and fit into the "Nouveau Austin" category that was previously described. This is the exact opposite of how it works in KC, Memphis, or NC. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just interesting to me because I have always been told that the best BBQ comes from a dumpy hole in the wall, but that really isn't true in DFW.

It's such a widespread thought about the best BBQ coming from a dump that It's a Southern Thing did a sketch on it. https://youtu.be/AAL9W3rNdvo

Old 01-31-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
To shift a bit - where do you get a good steak dinner for $25?
In a time machine that went back to 2009 and called Texas Roadhouse “good”?

Old 02-01-2022, 07:43 AM

573 posts, read 336,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
To shift a bit - where do you get a good steak dinner for $25?
Southern Junction?

Old 02-01-2022, 08:03 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Hard Eight is really good.
How can you say that. 8 is like fast food of BBQ. One notch above dickeys IMO. I was there 2 weeks ago and maybe we all had covid that night as everyone said it sucked, no taste, cold.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:19 AM

573 posts, read 336,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Perhaps saying "never corporate" was the wrong choice of words, but most BBQ places in NC are dumpy or have barely any decor. If you've been to Cooper's BBQ in Fort Worth, the interior is similar in most NC BBQ places, just not as big. The upscale places in other states generally don't serve authentic NC style BBQ and cater to people who are from elsewhere. They also usually serve alcohol which is a draw for some people.

In DFW, I find that the places with the highest ratings (Pecan Lodge and Hard 8 come to mind) and best quality of meat often are more upscale and fit into the "Nouveau Austin" category that was previously described. This is the exact opposite of how it works in KC, Memphis, or NC. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just interesting to me because I have always been told that the best BBQ comes from a dumpy hole in the wall, but that really isn't true in DFW.

It's such a widespread thought about the best BBQ coming from a dump that It's a Southern Thing did a sketch on it. https://youtu.be/AAL9W3rNdvo
In reality, you clearly haven't been to many rural bbq areas in TX if that's what you think. We travel to the hill country at least twice a year, and we try out the hole in the wall bbq places. Opie's in Spicewood (they only have a chalkboard menu because they charge market price for their bbq) is good, Miller's in Belton, Backyard outside of Belton we didn't like so won't return, Backwoods near Fredericksburg is good. Near Houston is Killen's (expensive though) in Pearland, and one in Clear Lake area I'm told to try but can't remember the name, Gatlin's is another I'm told to try. And all of them have various pork bbq! There are so many places, some pricey, some not - you know where else there are some pricey and not pricey bbq? North Carolina! And Tennessee, and Kansas/Missouri, and Georgia, and South Carolina, and Hawaii. It's mind-blowing!

Old 02-01-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
How can you say that. 8 is like fast food of BBQ. One notch above dickeys IMO. I was there 2 weeks ago and maybe we all had covid that night as everyone said it sucked, no taste, cold.
That’s my one knock on them. When they’re on, it’s damn good. Just not consistent.

BBQ at night though is always rough. Most of those places plan for lunch as prime time - later gets sketchy.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:47 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
The Central TX style of 'que is what most transplants flock to but I've always loved the more East TX style...probably since my parents are from there and that's what we know best. Give me collard greens, baked mac N cheese and cornbread over beans and cole slaw.
In my opinion, DFW BBQ joints in general try to piggyback off of Central Texas' worldwide popularity and reknown when it comes to 'que but doesn't do it nearly as well.

Good BBQ can DEFINITELY be found in EAST TEXAS, as it's more in line with the traditional BBQ that you would find outside of Texas in other parts of the South. Pork BBQ is definitely a thing across East Texas, and it is GOOD!!! It's the Black influence. People are talking about Pork BBQ is not eaten in Texas, but even in DFW, a lot of Black folks bar-b-que pork at home. The first time I came to Dallas in the early 2000s, I got invited to a 4th of July dinner by a Black family who lived in South Dallas. They had a big BBQ dinner with all PORK BBQ, and to this day, THAT was some of the best BBQ I have ever eaten. Way better than any of the BBQ restaurants I have experienced across DFW, regardless of whether we are talking about beef or pork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
DFW does a lot of things well (just try some Indian food) but BBQ is probably one of our weaker areas relative to other cuisines.
Exactly. DFW has some of the best Indian food I have ever tasted anywhere in America, and I have also had some of the best Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, and Ethiopian food in my life in DFW. But 'Que?!? Meh.......

Last edited by NoClueWho; 02-01-2022 at 10:15 AM..

Old 02-01-2022, 10:16 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,216,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
Exactly. DFW has some of the best Indian food I have ever tasted anywhere in America, and I have also had some of the best Thai and Ethiopian food in my life in DFW. But 'Que?!? Meh.......
I agree that DFW has some awesome Indian food options. We especially like the diversity of Indian food choices. It's hard to find in many places anything other than North Indian food. My husband was looking forward to having delicious Indian food the last time we went to England. To our surprise, a lot of the food was way too sweet.

Old 02-01-2022, 11:36 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lz_2022 View Post
In a time machine that went back to 2009 and called Texas Roadhouse “good”?
Depends on the amount of beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas