Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2023, 09:35 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I always considered Texas to be Southern, but its own brand of Southern.

If they say “y’all” and “Coke”, it’s the South.
That’s funny! I remember when I was younger my cousins from Chicago would come visit us saying “you guys” and “pop.”

Yes, when we said “give me a coke” it meant any kind of soft drink! i guess I’m from the South!

As for Dallas it is the South with midwest plains influences. More South than Midwest though…
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 09:39 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
What Midwestern influenced are in Dallas? Genuine curiosity because I have spent very little time in the Midwest. It is definitely on the plains, but the Great Plains is not a region exclusive to the Midwest.

Dallas is in the South and, in ways, Southern. I've voiced before how I consider anything in the South Southern as a testament to how beautifully diverse and inclusive Southern culture is beyond the stereotypes.

Old 01-01-2023, 10:00 AM

9,853 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Miami, like Dallas, are still Southern cities.

Now the part where Dallas has Midwestern influence is the Great Plains Midwestern influence. Such as the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas type of Midwest. It's nothing like the Great Lakes Midwestern of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, and sorts. I personally wouldn't downplay the influence from the Midwest in the DFW area but it's still a Southern city. Not Deep South but Southern.
Some people try to hard to disassociate with the South (as shown by this thread)

Old 01-01-2023, 10:10 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Some people try to hard to disassociate with the South (as shown by this thread)
Some people yes…maybe the “woke” crowd? But the South has a lot of heritage and culture that people still aspire to.

Are people disassociating with England over its history of slavery and colonialism?

Old 01-01-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Some people yes…maybe the “woke” crowd? But the South has a lot of heritage and culture that people still aspire to.

Are people disassociating with England over its history of slavery and colonialism?
It’s not the woke crowd. It’s the opposite crowd if anything. It’s just people who live in the south (such as Texans) but don’t want to say that they live in the south so they’ll find any other region they can replace. Southwest, Great Plains, “Texas” whatever. Despite the fact that none of these regions (especially Texas) are mutually exclusive. No 2 states in the south are the same. The south is huge

Old 01-01-2023, 12:17 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
It’s not a mix. Dallas is entirely southern and entirely southwestern. The regions aren’t mutually exclusive. And it’s not very midwestern at all
Not culturally midwestern, but architecturally and urban design it does have many midwestern accents. The gridded streets that carry into the suburban areas, the freeway designs that are typically linear and featuring access roads, the housing designs.. ..you don't see that in the south. Most southeastern urban design is filled with hilly or curvy roads, large acres, spaced out housing, mostly frame or stucco. DFW architecture and design looks more like something you see in the midwest than you do in the south.

Old 01-01-2023, 12:22 PM

262 posts, read 564,815 times
I consider it in this order:

1. Texan
2. Southwestern
3. Southern (but not Southeastern)
4. Central Plains

Old 01-01-2023, 02:25 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Miami, like Dallas, are still Southern cities.
If you're referring to culture, no, Miami is not southern. If you're referring purely to geography, of course. But no one disputes that.

Old 01-01-2023, 02:26 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
I think you're reading too much into it. A lot of of people here are from the actual south and don't think Dallas is part of that.

But these discussions are always dumb. Every single time. The only reason they continue is that people have different ideas of what constitutes a word like "south," so everyone just ends up talking past each other. It reminds me of the "Is Joe Flacco elite?" meme from several years back. People debated whether Joe Flacco was elite in the same way people debate whether Dallas is southern. Neither are actually interesting.

Old 01-01-2023, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I think you're reading too much into it. A lot of of people here are from the actual south and don't think Dallas is part of that.

Bug.
No. It’s the other way around. Not reading into it, Dallas is the south as is most of Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas