Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 09:42 PM

7 posts, read 3,484 times

Advertisements

I would say more southern than Midwest, though with its own independent mindset as well. They say that FTW is the gateway to the west, and I do feel a bit more eastern flavor to Dallas. I feel some kinship with the SE, but have spent surprisingly minimal time down there. Certainly agree with what another said about OK, Missouri being more southern as well, and I would doubt KS, though I haven't spent an time their to speak of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2023, 10:26 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
I would say Dallas fits Texan culture.
Does Dallas really still fit Texan culture much anymore, though? And if so, for how much longer?

These days, feels like half/most of the people who live in Dallas and many places surrounding Dallas aren't even FROM Texas. ESPECIALLY if you don't lump Fort Worth in with Dallas.

Fort Worth is still a very Texas culture-heavy city but Dallas hasn't felt very "Texas" in a while to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
If I had to choose, I would say Texan culture more mirrors Southern culture, much more so than Midwestern culture.
This I definitely agree with.

Old 01-17-2023, 05:14 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
No way is Dallas "midwestern".

Go up to the midwest and stay a while and you'll be screaming to leave and come back to Dallas where people have manners, don't talk through their noses, and have some class.

Dallas is somewhat "southern" in the sense that there's a Southeastern influence here just as in all of Texas. But not in the sense of Mobile or Jackson Miss.

What Dallas is, is a large sophisticated city in Texas, with all that entails.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:40 PM

578 posts, read 303,859 times
The region names may have been useful when travel and moving was harder to do and done to a lesser degree. Today they generate more confusion than add clarity. I say call it uniquely Texas and you less likely to be spreading more confusion. If there is.a common sense reason this question was asked, drill down a little to find why they really want or need to know about Dallas so you can provide real help.

Old 02-27-2023, 07:23 PM

560 posts, read 437,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
Southwestern
^ Winner. Born and raised in DFW so I speak with intimate knowledge. There is exactly ZERO midwestern or southeastern influence here.

Old 02-28-2023, 10:14 PM

649 posts, read 1,424,182 times
I’m from the Southeast born and raised. I’ve been living in Metro Dallas for 11 years now. It’s definitely not southeastern down here but you can see some influences of it here and there. It’s not really southwestern fully either. I’m specifically talking about the Dallas area. West Texas is definitely southwestern, but not east Texas. Dallas is right in the middle. It’s a bit more on the green belt side which makes it feel a bit different. It really is a mixture of southwestern and southeastern from a visual and cultural standpoint.

Old 03-15-2023, 12:30 AM

62 posts, read 59,810 times
Southwestern, not southern or Midwestern. East of DFW starts getting more south like, west of DFW is more western.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas