Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 02:48 PM

9,878 posts, read 6,589,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
If you're referring to culture, no, Miami is not southern. If you're referring purely to geography, of course. But no one disputes that.
Miami is a southern city. It’s not the Deep South. It is culturally southern. Like Texas, Miami has other regions that impact it in addition to the American south.

Former Miami resident here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 06:08 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,200,909 times
[quote=ParaguaneroSwag;64672107]Some people try to hard to disassociate with the South (as shown by this thread)

[/QUO What you say is definitely true of some although I will say that although Dallas is southern it's in a part of the state that's not so simple to put in a neat little box. It's a mix of different things.

Last edited by brock2010; 01-01-2023 at 06:18 PM..

Old 01-01-2023, 06:29 PM

9,878 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
What you say is definitely true of some although I will say that although Dallas is southern it's in a part of the state that's not so simple to put in a neat little box. It's a mix of different things.
I agree it’s a mix of things. American South, Bible Belt, Great Plains, Southwest, etc. Where I disagree is where it’s only a certain percent southern or “only mixed in” etc. These regions aren’t mutually exclusive from one another. While it is true that Dallas (and most of Texas) is not the Deep South where as Georgia is, this is different from Dallas being or not being the American South.

And, Miami definitely has plenty of southern elements as well. You don’t see them in what most people go to see (South Beach, Little Havana, etc) but you certainly do in the so called “real Miami”. Plenty of culturally southern elements. Like with Dallas, it feeds off of other regions as well (notably the Caribbean for Miami).

Old 01-01-2023, 06:37 PM

146 posts, read 152,315 times
Calling Texas midwestern is like calling Pennsylvania southern.

Old 01-01-2023, 06:51 PM

511 posts, read 400,124 times
Dallas is a cross between the starting points of the South, the Southwest, the Great Plains, and the "Texas (a mixture of Czech/German/Mexican" culture. It has every bit of those regional influences. Not only that, Dallas also has a huge presence of international population that has emigrated from all over the world, making the Metroplex its own kind of cultural bubble in the same way Atlanta is.

Old 01-01-2023, 08:29 PM

5,833 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
No. It’s the other way around. Not reading into it, Dallas is the south as is most of Texas
I disagree completely. And unless you know where everyone on this forum is from, I don't see how you could say it's the other way around.

I'm from the actual south, and Dallas isn't it.

I'll let you have the last word. I've already wasted too many brain waves on this topic.

Old 01-02-2023, 11:51 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Neither, though closer to Southern. East Texas, only about 1.5-2 hours driving east of Dallas, feels Southern.

Some people from small East Texas towns relocate to Dallas.

Dallas doesn't have much of a Midwestern feel.

Old 01-02-2023, 05:38 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Quote:
I personally think Dallas is partly midwestern, also partly southern, and slightly western, and I assume you've never been to Pennsylvania with a comment like that, because the slang name for Pennsylvania outside the major cities is Pennsyltucky, especially the Appalachian part. So Pennsylvania is definitely partly southern.

Old 01-03-2023, 07:36 PM

59 posts, read 32,740 times
Everyone knows Dallas is the capital of Oklahoma.

Old 01-03-2023, 11:09 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everMissouri View Post
I worked with a Yale grad from Wisconsin who called Pennsylvania Southern.

By the way, we're not talking about Texas. We're talking about Dallas. The first person I knew in Dallas was from El Paso, and he considered Dallas Midwestern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas