Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 12:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,311,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara0914 View Post
I see your point. I say this because it seems there is more chance for ice here than snow, and if they were able to treat the roads a little before it would make a difference. I also think that people just need to try to stay off the roads and stop thinking that they can roll down 75 at 45mph in their BMW.. which I've seen quite a bit.
Some people don't have a choice, but yes...people should stay off the roads if they don't feel safe driving in these conditions. Cars and highways weren't designed to operate optimally in icy conditions, either.

I'm a very cautious driver especially in conditions like these; I seek out the clearest lane on any road I'm on, I'm mindful of what's behind me and in front of me, I don't switch lanes if I think I might create a dangerous situation for someone behind me, and I drive only as fast as I feel safe driving. If that means the person behind me has to slow down, so be it...I get out of their way as soon as I can. I think I hit 33mph driving home today...mainly stayed between 20-30mph. I didn't feel safe going any faster. Neither did most of the cars on the road with me. I did see some moron in a Lexus speeding down Frankford, but I saw the same Lexus a minute or so later crashed into a fountain with the driver standing outside yelling on his cell phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 01:48 PM

290 posts, read 388,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Some people don't have a choice, but yes...people should stay off the roads if they don't feel safe driving in these conditions. Cars and highways weren't designed to operate optimally in icy conditions, either.

I'm a very cautious driver especially in conditions like these; I seek out the clearest lane on any road I'm on, I'm mindful of what's behind me and in front of me, I don't switch lanes if I think I might create a dangerous situation for someone behind me, and I drive only as fast as I feel safe driving. If that means the person behind me has to slow down, so be it...I get out of their way as soon as I can. I think I hit 33mph driving home today...mainly stayed between 20-30mph. I didn't feel safe going any faster. Neither did most of the cars on the road with me. I did see some moron in a Lexus speeding down Frankford, but I saw the same Lexus a minute or so later crashed into a fountain with the driver standing outside yelling on his cell phone.
That's funny but not funny.. but funny. LOL.

I do the same. I go as slow as I choose, and I stay in that clear lane until I have to get over. Even when changing lanes I go slowwww, and don't care. I also learned the hard way years ago, that when in ice/snow not to hit the gas like i regularly would when the light turns green

Old 02-27-2015, 02:03 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,311,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara0914 View Post
That's funny but not funny.. but funny. LOL.

I do the same. I go as slow as I choose, and I stay in that clear lane until I have to get over. Even when changing lanes I go slowwww, and don't care. I also learned the hard way years ago, that when in ice/snow not to hit the gas like i regularly would when the light turns green
Yup...slow and steady, no time for road raging. Just dig deep and pull out your patience...and calm...and try to be as zen as possible.

I'm glad the guy in the Lexus wasn't injured, but he was asking for it the way he was driving.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:55 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,649,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
That's why it's always best to just stay home and not get out there among all of the crazies here if you value your life and/or auto at all... you'll learn!
That's great. Sadly my office isn't letting us out early, because...my office.

I hope to get home before it's time to go back in Monday morning.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:57 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,537,210 times
It took my husband 2 hours to get from Beltline/635 and our home in E Colleyville

Old 02-27-2015, 03:34 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,649,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
It took my husband 2 hours to get from Beltline/635 and our home in E Colleyville
Thanks for the heads-up, as I have almost an identical commute. My only hope is that, because everyone left early, there will be fewer cars on the road by the time they let us out of here.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:57 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,537,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Thanks for the heads-up, as I have almost an identical commute. My only hope is that, because everyone left early, there will be fewer cars on the road by the time they let us out of here.
I hope so! Good travel juju

Old 02-27-2015, 04:06 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,058,408 times
Does anyone know if the dog park near White Rock Lake has opened back up? I'd kind of like to take the dogs to play in the snow tonight.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:35 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,556,697 times
Took me a little over an hour to drive from downtown Dallas to McKinney on 75N.

I didn't try to leave early, figured it would suck with everyone else trying to. My plan worked out pretty well. Got home sooner than I normally would on a Friday. Roads are mostly wet, but bridges are definitely sketchy even with all season tires. I averaged 30-40 most of the way.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:18 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,004,256 times
Don't worry, in summer when the Yankees are having a "heat wave" with temperatures over 90 F, we'll laugh as we enjoy our 30 straight days of over 100 with overnight lows above 80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas