Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:33 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times

Advertisements

HP, UP and Lakewood are all areas in close proximity to downtown that will fit your req's; Colleyville is over near DFW and Grapevine. Any of the areas listed here will offer what you are interested in. Obviously, now you have to do some driving around to get the feel of the areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 08:25 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
echo the Colleyville area but might consider Southlake--there are homes in your price range there and my realtor tells me that even if sales have slowed, prices are higher than last year...Southlake and Colleyville have excellent school systems at this time and as long as wealthy people move into those areas, they will probably stay that way...
Lots of nice houses in that price range in Keller, some custom some high-end tract builder like Highland/Drees homes...developments like Tuscany, Southern Oaks and others have good size lots and many w/trees...
good MLS search site will give you starting point and you can check the TEA Region 11 web site for current TAKS scores...

Southlake, Colleyville, Keller, did pretty well in FTW newpaper story about how schools did when you factored in how much OVER the minimum TAKS score in each test area, districts did...shows which ones are barely getting by and which ones excel...
Think Keller ISD in general is going through real transition now--hard to speculate long term what will happen--think that resale market will be more specific to certaom subdivisions and specific schools--not in general upside like Southlake...but Southlake is also smaller...
Northwest ISD in Haslet/Trophy Club area is also growing--has the new IB charter school--so might consider that...that is probably makeable commute to Dallas depending on where you are working...

Weatherford and other areas west of FTW is really a difficult commute if you are working in Dallas--it is almost an hour from the Mid-Cities now...factor in another 40 min from Aledo...don't see that as any viable choice...

Last edited by loves2read; 05-21-2007 at 08:36 AM..

Old 05-21-2007, 09:15 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
I just saw on the news this morning that Talented and Gifted (TAG) in DISD scored as the #1 HS in the country. Pretty awesome!

Old 05-21-2007, 01:48 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
"The Hills of Breckenridge is really nice. Not sure about upside on that area though ? Is it really that exclusive ? "

I think it is very exclusive. The rises in real estate values in that area are HIGH! For example here are a few and their appraised values:

1. in 2003 - $430K 2007 - $971K
2. in 2006 - $630K 2007 - $897K
3. in 2006 - $428K 2007 - $1MIL+ (I don't wanna pay their taxes )
4. in 2005 - $730K 2007 - $1MIL+
5. in 2005 - $500K 2007 - $748K

That is just a few. With the land being gobbled up and people wanting be close but not in the city and in a good area and school district these are only going to go up.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
I just saw on the news this morning that Talented and Gifted (TAG) in DISD scored as the #1 HS in the country. Pretty awesome!
Two years in a row they are the TOP #1 High School in the nation. WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2007, 02:16 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,655,098 times
Hey there, I use to live in Cedar Hill and know what your going through and how you are feeling. We liked the area so well but when we had kids wanted to move closer to Dallas and decided to private school our oldest. It worked.

We use to live over in Waterford Oaks and that was our first house. We then decided to move to Thouroughbred Hills over in Duncanville and was there for 3 years before moving to Florida. We made our way back to Mckinney but are trying to look into moving closer to Dallas.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 05-21-2007 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: You need to use PM about your house for sale.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:02 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
"The Hills of Breckenridge is really nice. Not sure about upside on that area though ? Is it really that exclusive ? "

I think it is very exclusive. The rises in real estate values in that area are HIGH! For example here are a few and their appraised values:

1. in 2003 - $430K 2007 - $971K
2. in 2006 - $630K 2007 - $897K
3. in 2006 - $428K 2007 - $1MIL+ (I don't wanna pay their taxes )
4. in 2005 - $730K 2007 - $1MIL+
5. in 2005 - $500K 2007 - $748K

That is just a few. With the land being gobbled up and people wanting be close but not in the city and in a good area and school district these are only going to go up.
This is good info. That's a very nice area, just wasn't aware that it fell into my 'exclusive' classification. I love the builders in there.

Do you have access to the MLS ?

I looked at homes in my new area and when the community opened a couple of years ago to now there is about a 75-100k delta.

This is why per the other thread I'm confused as to why some think that there are no areas that will appreciate in DFW.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:14 PM

This is good info. That's a very nice area, just wasn't aware that it fell into my 'exclusive' classification. I love the builders in there.
There are only 2 houses in there that I don't care for. The floorplan is a major turnoff and has very limiting appeal to a wide range of people. I know a good many people that live in there. You have doctors, attorneys, local business owners and early retirees.

Thru my mom. I look on realtor.com pretty much as they usually have just about every listing out there. To find the apprasied value I go to the Dallas County Appraisal Districts website, www.dallascad.org

I looked at homes in my new area and when the community opened a couple of years ago to now there is about a 75-100k delta.
I saw your question on the other thread about the increase of prices on builder homes in a new phase. What happens here is that a buyer can chose between a house already lived in, no choosing any colors, lot, brick, etc OR they can build one that they had more control over for either the same amount of money or a little bit more. This is what makes selling a home here in an area that still is being built in so hard. In that case you have to REALLY stand out.

This is why per the other thread I'm confused as to why some think that there are no areas that will appreciate in DFW.
I'm baffled by that too as I know of MANY areas that do appreciate. I'm the nerdy kid that even in high school was scanning the real estate section in the Sunday paper .

Old 05-21-2007, 04:36 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
There are only 2 houses in there that I don't care for. The floorplan is a major turnoff and has very limiting appeal to a wide range of people. I know a good many people that live in there. You have doctors, attorneys, local business owners and early retirees.

Thru my mom. I look on realtor.com pretty much as they usually have just about every listing out there. To find the apprasied value I go to the Dallas County Appraisal Districts website, www.dallascad.org

I saw your question on the other thread about the increase of prices on builder homes in a new phase. What happens here is that a buyer can chose between a house already lived in, no choosing any colors, lot, brick, etc OR they can build one that they had more control over for either the same amount of money or a little bit more. This is what makes selling a home here in an area that still is being built in so hard. In that case you have to REALLY stand out.

I'm baffled by that too as I know of MANY areas that do appreciate. I'm the nerdy kid that even in high school was scanning the real estate section in the Sunday paper .
I also have a friend in Murphy that just moved into a new Sotherby and it increased in value 40k over the period of 6 months it was being built.

I have about a 1/2 dozen other examples. So I'm not losing my mind.

I agree that if you buy in a community that's building, you need to wait till it's built out to sell, otherwise, you lose your shorts or wait a long time to sell.

When does Firewheel built out ?

Old 05-21-2007, 05:01 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
The best appreciation rates are in Lakewood, Park Cities and North Dallas. Buying a suburban home where you have to compete with builders when you sell and massive foreclosures are going to kill your chance at making money on your house. You might even lose your shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas