Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:47 AM

388 posts, read 998,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55erinDE View Post
No more unsightly than an air conditioner unit on the outside of your home.
I'm just throwing out another opinion but perhaps the builder's resistance to the generator was not just the appearance alone - although landscaping would soften the view - but rather the horrendous noise that happens when the generator comes on. We had a generator on the side of our house in Maine and believe me, when it is "on" the whole neighborhood knows it! We as occupants got used to the nerve-aggravating hum but those on the outside heard a much louder noise. This may have been a consideration for the builder - the effect of the noise on the other homeowners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 01:27 PM

31 posts, read 80,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
I'm just throwing out another opinion but perhaps the builder's resistance to the generator was not just the appearance alone - although landscaping would soften the view - but rather the horrendous noise that happens when the generator comes on. We had a generator on the side of our house in Maine and believe me, when it is "on" the whole neighborhood knows it! We as occupants got used to the nerve-aggravating hum but those on the outside heard a much louder noise. This may have been a consideration for the builder - the effect of the noise on the other homeowners.
Actually my point of the whole generator scenario was the builders remark about why someone would want a generator in the first place, when electricity (his words) are not required to run your furnace. Can you imagine a builder making a statement like that. And I don't think it was a mistake on his part. When I heard those words out of his mouth, I thought to myself, I wonder when my home is going to fall down around me.

And believe me when I say, the builder is all about the street appearance of homes to prospective buyers. Which granted I agree with.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:39 PM

560 posts, read 916,100 times
Quote:
Actually my point of the whole generator scenario was the builders remark about why someone would want a generator in the first place, when electricity (his words) are not required to run your furnace. Can you imagine a builder making a statement like that. And I don't think it was a mistake on his part. When I heard those words out of his mouth, I thought to myself, I wonder when my home is going to fall down around me.

And believe me when I say, the builder is all about the street appearance of homes to prospective buyers. Which granted I agree with.
It's my understanding that there is a homeowner with a back-up generator. Maybe your story was just another rumor.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
It's my understanding that there is a homeowner with a back-up generator. Maybe your story was just another rumor.
No, not a rumor and the story is fact. As you've stated Going2, some facts are more factual than others.

Actually, I know of 3 homeowners who have generators on my street alone. And actually, I and many other homeowners were at the meeting when the builder made his comments about the generator and a furnace not requiring electricity, when asked by our Vietnam Vet from his wheelchair.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH123 View Post
Military people do like hearing you talking about noisy low flying aircraft.
I understand "military people". We are "military people". Dad went ashore in Normandy, hubby is a retired career Naval Officer, daughter is a career Naval Officer and Iraq war vet. We love "the sound of freedom" made by jets...just not flying directly over our home...been there, done that, moved away from it.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I'm "all about street appearance", too. That's one reason why there is a homeowner's association. Some generators do make excessive noise. We have a portable one which we will use if ever it becomes necessary. But we will not run it overnight as it is a tad loud.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
I'm "all about street appearance", too. That's one reason why there is a homeowner's association.
Yes, HOAs bring with them a set of rules and regulations, but as you well know not everyone abides by those rules.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, HOAs bring with them a set of rules and regulations, but as you well know not everyone abides by those rules.
If you know someone who is not abiding by the rules, why don't you just report them to the HOA?

Old 06-14-2012, 05:16 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,673,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Funny you mentioned no clotheslines allowed where you are - it's the same also in our place and I do miss it a lot (but I knew I would) - it works out OK w/ a little clothes dryer rack in the garage but I sure miss the clothesline outside, sheets sure dried fast (as did jeans and just about anything else) but there's other perks - everyone's very friendly and most homes are probably 6 or so years old so there's a lot of established friendships already (met someone from our town so that was kind of neat) - probably more resales sold than new construction but not a lot of resales at all - while we probably dont go to the clubhouse as often as we could, it's good to know it's there and there's usually something going on there - they have something called 'pizza and dice nites' once a month that's pretty popular and a fun and good way to meet others (dice is not actually played but another quick and easy-to-learn game is that's fun, they supply pizza, chi. wings and salad for an extra fee) and for every holiday of course there's other events going on then too.
I agree honeycrisp. BTW......so nice to see you and hear you are doing well in our community. The good out weighs the bad by far. Another good piece of advice......If you don't want to be restricted by rules.......don't buy into a community with an HOA because there are rules. Just got an email from the office, apparently someone left their trash can out in sight when it should be hidden. So I'm sure someone sent an email to complain so everyone gets a general email. LOL
There are friendly gatherings, tee shirt making, horse shoes, card games and anything that floats your boat.
I don't go to everything anymore.......I pick and choose. But it is nice to know they are there if I want. That is why we choose this lifestyle.

Some people move in without finding out the facts and are disappointed. In some cases flat out furious enough to put their homes up for sale and move. I have seen this happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
This has been an enlightening thread, and I'd like to add another aspect to the thinking process:

If you buy in a community with a homeowners association, your bundle of rights are impacted by those rules/regulations which have been recorded in Kent County Public Records. If you have issues and/or do not agree with the rules/regs, buy a property within a community or town where there's NO homeowner association. These HOAs are a relatively new phenomena in Delaware, and there are plenty of us who've always lived here who will have nothing to do with them. Most, I know, hire a lawn service and/or handy man if needed, at a fraction of a HOA cost. However, transferees seem to gravitate to HOA associations for various reasons. In my opinion, life, living, and retirement are to be enjoyed. At this stage of my life (72 and full speed ahead) more than ever - I don't want another whole set of rules I must abide by, OR Else ! On the other hand, many rely upon, and enjoy those homeowners associations. Good Luck to all!
Yes, I'm opinionated and independent.
You know what you want RDLR and that is a good thing. Like I said before.......some don't and that is not good.

YOu definately are an asset to this thread and have helped many. I"m not technical but you provide a load of great info along those lines.

Actually, we do not have an HOA. I don't know how to explain it. We pay lot rent and live on this rented land with a set of rules and that is really all I know. Some residents wanted an HOA but the owners didn't go for it. They said NO HOA period. So?

Old 06-14-2012, 05:30 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,673,339 times
[Qs and regulations, but as you well know not everyone abides by those rules.[/quote]

Doesn't matter where you live or what situation......there are "Always" people who dont' abide by rules....That is why rules are in place. I know most would run amok if there were no rules. Some try even though rules are in place.
The pool and clubhouse rules are the big ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware