Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2019, 01:49 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times

Advertisements

Rdlr--Congrats on sixty years! That is really impressive. My parents just celebrated their 50th anniversary this summer and we had a small family celebration.

We are doing a Thanksgiving buffet as well--just me and my husband as it has been for years now. We went to Big Fish in Rehoboth for their Thanksgiving buffet as soon as they opened (before noon) the past few years and it was just totally delicious. It was packed too....and my husband worked nights these past few years on Thanksgiving so we needed to get there early anyway. He works day shift this year so we will be going out later and it won't be Big Fish since the buffet will end by the time we can arrive. We're going to try The Bonfire in Ocean City given they are open later. I know you are a law enforcement family as well and know that the job doesn't stop for holidays, snow, etc. My husband has permanent weekends off so he is only home for the holidays when they fall on a Saturday or Sunday. My son still lives in Dover and will spend the day with his dad, and my parents declined to join us in OC for dinner given they do not want to travel that far in the dark and I don't blame them. I'm the same way. So.....it's just us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 02:11 PM

9,722 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Thanks, Liz! Just this year, I made the decision to not drive in the dark, especially late at night. Too many things can happen in the daylight, let alone at dark! I think the theme this year for Thanksgiving is.....
"Easy is Good" !!!!

Old 11-20-2019, 02:33 PM

I think that's a great theme!!! I do love to cook though and will make us a Thanksgiving dinner once he is home all day for the holiday. Nothing like leftovers!

My husband hit a very large buck at night on route one near Milton in July. I was with him and the entire ordeal was traumatic. We were both ok and the car somehow made it home, but it had $11K worth of damage to the front end and passenger side door although it didn't have any frame or suspension damage. The car was gone for two months. They didn't total it because it's still worth a good bit. My husband has encountered more than a few drunk/high drivers on route 113 at night driving down the wrong side of the highway and had to pull over to avoid being hit head on. I don't like driving at night at all now and thankfully really never have to unless I choose to do so.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:28 PM

OMG! Liz! I'm sure it was very scary! We are over-run with deer, and it's getting worse right now as this is mating season. Glad you all are o.k.....and the car, too. That could have been a lot worse. I've seen 3 dead ones on the road just this week.

2 years ago, In our little town, a deer got hit in front of our house, staggered up on to our front lawn, and was really suffering. The poor woman who hit it was hysterical, but she was unhurt....car a mess. To add to that scene, a school bus stopped at the stop sign loaded with kids who were staring out the windows at the whole thing. Long story short 'you-know-who' came by in his 'work car', made a phone call, and got permission to shoot the deer, and end its pain. What a rude awakening at 7:30 a.m.
SO EVERYBODY....Watch out for deer, mostly sunrise and sunset, even on heavily traveled roads.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:15 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
OMG! Liz! I'm sure it was very scary! We are over-run with deer, and it's getting worse right now as this is mating season. Glad you all are o.k.....and the car, too. That could have been a lot worse. I've seen 3 dead ones on the road just this week.

2 years ago, In our little town, a deer got hit in front of our house, staggered up on to our front lawn, and was really suffering. The poor woman who hit it was hysterical, but she was unhurt....car a mess. To add to that scene, a school bus stopped at the stop sign loaded with kids who were staring out the windows at the whole thing. Long story short 'you-know-who' came by in his 'work car', made a phone call, and got permission to shoot the deer, and end its pain. What a rude awakening at 7:30 a.m.
SO EVERYBODY....Watch out for deer, mostly sunrise and sunset, even on heavily traveled roads.
They're all over the place now. I'm a cautious driver, but especially at this time of year.

Happy anniversary rdlr! You have lived through every sort of, "What?!" imaginable and have made it work.

I certainly do remember the jitterbug. Mom and dad used to dance around the kitchen once in a while. No slides, though, because there wasn't enough room.

Who else here learned how to dance standing on their father's shoes? That used to be pretty common way back when.

Oh my gosh, when I danced with mom, she'd fling me out for a spin with no warning. I thought that I was going to hit the floor a few times, but she always caught me.

"In the mood, that's what he told me ..."

Old 11-21-2019, 04:51 AM

Gerania....Thanks for those picturesque memories! Sure looks like your parents had a lot of fun, too! ....
'on your dad's shoes' LOL

Old 11-21-2019, 05:39 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
G & RDLR, same type memories in my house. Although my parents had a dance instructor in our basement and he taught all the couples how to dance the Cha-Cha. It was not a huge basement but they all had a lot of fun, I was a kid in my PJ's sitting on the steps watching them with my sister beside me.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:45 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I think that's a great theme!!! I do love to cook though and will make us a Thanksgiving dinner once he is home all day for the holiday. Nothing like leftovers!

My husband hit a very large buck at night on route one near Milton in July. I was with him and the entire ordeal was traumatic. We were both ok and the car somehow made it home, but it had $11K worth of damage to the front end and passenger side door although it didn't have any frame or suspension damage. The car was gone for two months. They didn't total it because it's still worth a good bit. My husband has encountered more than a few drunk/high drivers on route 113 at night driving down the wrong side of the highway and had to pull over to avoid being hit head on. I don't like driving at night at all now and thankfully really never have to unless I choose to do so.
Liz, my friend was on her way to Phily to the airport at 3:45 a.m and a big buck hit her car. She too lost her car for several months. It was the entire left side quarter panel and front left grill and it was up on Rt 1 in the Milton area. Same deal, Escalade, and a tank so they repaired it. Given the damage I saw on the pictures, if she had been in a smaller car, this might be a different story, I am reporting.

Great reminder.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:18 PM

Rdlr--wow, that's one heck of a story!! Poor deer...and poor kids on the bus!

Nuts--that is beyond ironic! We were on our way home from the Philly airport when this happened! It was in July around 10 p.m. and we were just discussing how our trip to Punta Cana in the DR went without a hitch despite all the bad publicity this past year. We had this wonderful vacation with zero issues at the resort or at the airports and then BAM....this deer appears out of nowhere and my husband hits it doing 55 mph head on. It was very loud and sudden. The stretch of Milton this occurred is where it is wooded and swampy. The deer kept running after being hit (even crazier), but I am sure it ran away and died. I have no idea how both the car and the deer kept moving.

I hit a big ol' buck about fourteen years ago in January around four p.m. with my 1994 Mercury Cougar--they are solid steel and built like tanks. This occurred about a mile from the road to turn to Holts Landing. I saw it on the side of the road, slowed down to 35 mph, and I kid you not--it charged at my car!! I swerved a little to avoid a direct hit and hit it with a glancing blow as they instruct you to do if possible. It flew up on my hood and then ran away. It broke a front headlight and put a small dent in my hood. Other than that--no real damage. I left the dent (car was older) and just ordered a $20 replacement headlight off Ebay. My husband was not so lucky with his fiberglass front end car.

Old 11-23-2019, 06:09 AM

Our house looks confused, and I think I am, too! On the front steps, pumpkins, mums, and colorful leaves on the railing...... Thanksgiving decoration on the front door. Mums in bloom around the shrubbery.

Yesterday, I put the Christmas garland over the front windows, hung the giant Christmas wreath next to the front door, and decorated the front porch with Christmas.....

This late Thanksgiving date has thrown a monkey wrench into my regular Christmas decorating. So, I guess, Happy Thanksgiving, and Merry Christmas, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware