Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:37 PM

27 posts, read 144,655 times

Advertisements

I will be retiring in September and friends have recommended that I consider the Pot-Net homes in Long Neck, DE. Does anyone have pros or cons on this community. I understand they are very upscale modular homes--many with waterviews that can be purchased for under $150,000. Draw back may be land rent?? Regardless--is this an active lifestyle community or a rest stop on the way to assisted living! I'm looking for moderate housing in proximity to bay/ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2006, 08:50 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Pots-Net is a very large community and I know several people who live there and love it. It is not all senior citizens. Some of the lot rents are expensive. I think some of the water front lots are about $1000 per month. There is legislation ongoing in Delaware regarding renters rights in these types of communities. Look online for info at Delaware Online. I would also be aware that many areas with thriving mobile home communities are being bought out by developers. Delaware is the home of developments and we are seeing more of them in the Sussex County areas. Take your time and do your research. There are several realtors in the area that specialize in Pots-Net. Look for them online also. Good luck in your decision.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:03 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
delmarva,
I agree with SXMGirl. Two years ago a company bought several of the Long Neck MHP. The first thing they did is increase the lot rent, not a little, a lot. Some residents of 20-30 years were faced with lot rents going from $300 to $800 a month. Courts sided with the company and increases stayed. There are many used homes for a lot less and you can buy a new one in your price range. The one problem is that you do not own the land.
Once you do buy selling is not so easy. So be very cautions.
I suggest you try to get a rental down there or at least spend a week at a motel. Talk to the people, go down to Massey's Landing, you will find more information there than any where. Drive right into the communties and ask questions. There are people are Pot-Nets who love it and many of them were grandfathered in, that is, locked rent for 99 years. Check it out at in the PM hours as well as the weekend. I think you would do better to talk to a realtor and check out other options.
Don

Old 08-18-2006, 06:18 PM

14 posts, read 79,850 times
Default Pot-Nets

I have a good friend, late 40's who owns a triple wide in one of the pot Nets communities. Her land rent has escalated considerably in the last several years, from under 200/mnth to almost 500.

Pot Nets used to be one trailer park, albeit a nice one, owned by the Tunnell family, a local well heeled family that made their money in land and by being attorneys. The land has not been sold, but has been transferred to their company name (Tunnell Companies). At that point, they developed several other 'Pot Nets' communities and went by the way of greed to be honest about it. At the same time, other developers moved into the Long Neck/Masseys Landing area and proceeded to attempt to build other rival parks. Mostly, they just rival them in fees charged and not in amenities.

P-N is not a retirement community... we have very few 55+ communities here because everything is so family oriented.

We have owned a land title company here for 22 years and research the beach/resort area almost exclusively, hence the 'more info than you ever wanted'.

Becky in DE/FL

Old 08-25-2006, 02:41 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
My wife and I did look last year at Pot-Net. We found what we thought was a great home on a perfect location. Unfort, the location was $1100 a month land lease.

Needless to say, we walked away.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 49,257 times
Default Pot Nets

alot of houses for sale in area ,come see first spend some time. Longneck is a great place to ,don't like land rent.You are never without housing expense. AL

Old 10-31-2006, 09:22 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarva View Post
I will be retiring in September and friends have recommended that I consider the Pot-Net homes in Long Neck, DE. Does anyone have pros or cons on this community. I understand they are very upscale modular homes--many with waterviews that can be purchased for under $150,000. Draw back may be land rent?? Regardless--is this an active lifestyle community or a rest stop on the way to assisted living! I'm looking for moderate housing in proximity to bay/ocean.
Oh it is beautiful, and gorgeous by the bay. But, the lot rents are way, out of control. The lot rents by the water are yes probably around 1500 per month now.......that is lost funds to you as that is not your land. Your talking about handing over 16/17 thousand per year on a lot you don't have ownership of.
They keep going up and the people are not happy about that. Unlike taxes.....some owners have had their lot rents double and then some.
There is all ages in there,not just 55plus. I'd buy a modular on your own property.......you'll feel more secure.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 40,753 times
it is a SHAME potnets bayside is a very nice place YES but the lot rent is killing lots people and there leaving making it a very lonly place its getting lonly more more every year, it could be a very happy busy social place BUT people are leaving , old young rich or poor all kinds very sad every one home leaves momney out there pocket. tunnel needs to look around get a grip

Old 01-18-2009, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 40,405 times
Default potnets

I have a place in PotNet and it only cost $6,000 a year. It's the perfect place for summer fun, close to the water, pools, etc. We are very pleased living there. Of course, the closer to the water the more you are going to pay. It's also a low crime area.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:57 PM

177 posts, read 686,815 times
Do a search on the internet about them!

They have been in the newspapers forever about the land rent controvercy.

The owners in there now can't even sell their houses because of the situation!

If I were you I would get a good real etate agent and look at manufactued housing on it's own land, if anything!

Or you can buy your own lot and put a new manufactured home on it too!

Housing & land prices are way low in Delaware right now, check it out!

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware