Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 07:20 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times

Advertisements

Oh - I forgot another source of information that everyone can use ... Facebook.

I have "liked" the following and therefore am able to read what they post: Delaware State Police, WBOC-TV news, Cool 101.3 (I also listen on the web!), Deldot, Delaware Electric Cooperative, Chesapeake Gas, Delaware State Parks, Modern Maturity, The Schwartz Center, and a few other faves, like Fifers, Bylers, Restaurant 55 and Frederica Pizza ... and of course, Champions Club.

I keep them all in a separate group, appropriately called "Delaware" and can then check whenever I'm on Facebook to see the latest information these sources have posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 01:52 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
I have also referred to you, RDLR, as a source of tremendous information and almost encyclopedic knowledge. I hope that you are still as welcoming of legitimate questioners as you have been in the past.
Good friends of ours from NY once were interested in a 55+ community but instead, bought in another area of Delaware. What goes around, comes around. I'll be learning something new as they've invited us next month to their family Bat Mitzvah Celebration.

As far as knowing a geographical area, I'm sure you know equally as much about your home state. Of course, I'll continue to help all age newcomers both on this forum, and when they visit our home for scrapple sandwiches, as will happen next week.

I agree, ask lots of questions about age restricted communities, and others of interest. Good idea, too, to keep up with the Dover Post. I won't post links, but there's a Delaware forum that really addresses some major concerns people have about 55+ communities, and others. I always learn something there.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Oh - I forgot another source of information that everyone can use ... Facebook.

I have "liked" the following and therefore am able to read what they post: Delaware State Police, WBOC-TV news, Cool 101.3 (I also listen on the web!), Deldot, Delaware Electric Cooperative, Chesapeake Gas, Delaware State Parks, Modern Maturity, The Schwartz Center, and a few other faves, like Fifers, Bylers, Restaurant 55 and Frederica Pizza ... and of course, Champions Club.

I keep them all in a separate group, appropriately called "Delaware" and can then check whenever I'm on Facebook to see the latest information these sources have posted.

Charley: You are helpful to everyone, as is rdlr and the other regular posters. You are a one-person Delaware Info Guide yourself. I recall your reply to the visitor who complained there was nothing in Dover!

You and the others have helped more people than you will ever know.

Have a good week. I am sure you are busy getting ready for your big move. Only a little over a month to go!

Old 05-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanray View Post
Thanks for responding your information is great.
Not sure what area you were looking at but the map we were shown took up a great deal of land surrounding the club house and way beyond the streets that area now in. It is possible they have already planned the phase on the map and don't even own the property yet? Who knows?

We felt the same way about Longacre Village, we went there expecting a K Hovnanian planned community similar to the ones in NJ and were very disappointed. They have several builders and it is not a planned community, we also questioned the club house and were concerned if the builders don't agree it may never happen. Don't know many builders that would agree especially when it comes to money. Very strange situation, we don't want to be involved.

We loved Spring Meadows and the sales staff was very helpful. Met a few residence and they were all very friendly and nice. One of our favorites so far, we have another appointment to go down in two weeks. We are concerned they may be all gone by the time we are ready, might just jump the gun and buy now, before we sell our house or even have a definite retirement date, not sure but it is a possibility! We have been know to do crazy things in our 46 years together why stop now?
I put Longacre Village on my list because it listed carriage homes and a pool and clubhouse, plus locale on Route 13 is great. I had an appointment and when I got there the person I was supposed to meet with had left for a couple of hours. I understand; things come up. So the receptionist took me around. She was showing me these huge houses and I said I wanted something smaller since I am alone. She said, in a sarcastic way, this is the size homes we have. So I figured I was wrong, maybe put them on my list in error. Just before I left the person I was supposed to meet with came back and she said to him "she thought we had carriage homes" and he said they will, but not yet. The first one would be in in June. I was there in March. To go down for a week, I had to make train reservations, reserve a car rental, get hotel bookings, board my cat for a week, and get a ride to the train station here. It's not like I can run down again in June, just to see one house. So I put them off my list. Now I get emails all the time from them, in addition to phone calls, asking if I have made up my mind yet! Well, yes I have! I knew of Hovnanian's good reputation, and was surprised how this place was run.

Yes, the staff at Spring Meadows are great. If you like the place, you can maybe just reserve a lot. Nobles Pond lets you do that. I am sure lots of people do that, anticipating retiring in a year or two. The place being so close to completion is a big plus for me. I have lived in noisy areas most of my life and really want a quiet place. Years of construction is not so appealing.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:35 PM

27 posts, read 49,484 times
One of the big things for us in looking for a community was meeting the neighbors.

Most communities have events that you can meet the neighbors. Be sure to ask about them when you visit. Lots of times they will add you to their social event e-mail list.

I took a friend of mine to visit Roesville a few months back and they invited her to an event they were having a few weeks later. She really enjoyed meeting the neighbors there too.

We won't be there this Saturday. But we have our walk through tomorrow, May 22nd, Closing is June 1st, movers pick-up in RI June 8th, should be at CC full-time around June 19th.

Looking forward to meeting more city-data friends in person when we get to DE full-time.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-21-2012 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: removed mention of open house

Old 05-21-2012, 02:48 PM

560 posts, read 915,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanray View Post
We felt the same way about Longacre Village, we went there expecting a K Hovnanian planned community similar to the ones in NJ and were very disappointed.
You may be confusing K Hovnanian with JS Hovnanian. Although they are related (cousins, I think) their reputations are totally different. K builds nationwide...JS is strictly DE, NJ, and PA only. JS definitely has a better reputation.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:48 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Just a Moderator note here. Recently posters have been posting about open houses in their 55+ communities. This sounds like a great way to get to meet people and see how real people personalized their homes. However, posting like that is considered social advertising and Real Estate Advertising is NOT allowed on city-data. If you are interested in participating in these events, please check out the communities web page and sign up for their mailing/ e-mailing list. Don't count on city-data to provide you with that information.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
You may be confusing K Hovnanian with JS Hovnanian. Although they are related (cousins, I think) their reputations are totally different. K builds nationwide...JS is strictly DE, NJ, and PA only. JS definitely has a better reputation.
Thanks! That is helpful to know.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patc-v View Post
One of the big things for us in looking for a community was meeting the neighbors.

Most communities have events that you can meet the neighbors. Be sure to ask about them when you visit. Lots of times they will add you to their social event e-mail list.

I took a friend of mine to visit Roesville a few months back and they invited her to an event they were having a few weeks later. She really enjoyed meeting the neighbors there too.

We won't be there this Saturday. But we have our walk through tomorrow, May 22nd, Closing is June 1st, movers pick-up in RI June 8th, should be at CC full-time around June 19th.

Looking forward to meeting more city-data friends in person when we get to DE full-time.
I definitely enjoyed seeing a lively group in the clubhouses. Spring Meadows clubhouse was full of people laughing, having a good time, playing cards, etc. Barclay Farms seemed to be having a potluck lunch and everyone again seemed happy. There were collection boxes for the food pantry and animal shelter in the hallway there. Seemed like a happy place, but I don't like the lease costs there. You definitely want to live in a place where people like each other and get along. I live in a place that is the opposite, and believe me it is not pleasant.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:06 PM

19 posts, read 31,513 times
Default Resale and Model Homes for sale?

Thank you Charley and everyone else who has contributed to these posts. My husband and I hope to have our house on the market by some time next month. We believe we can't afford to have a house built till we sell our home. When we went to SM, we almost bought a house there but after reading the contract. it said we have to put a total of $15,000 down for house materials to secure the house being built and it wasn't refundable. That turned my husband and I off and we cancelled the deal. Is that a usual occurence? This is why we are considering buying a resale or a model home. Does anyone have info on the subject?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware