Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 05:05 PM

70 posts, read 75,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Epinephrine allows the anesthesia to be better absorbed, work faster, better and last longer because it is manufactured naturally by the body as adrenaline, sometimes called the "fight or flight hormone". In addition to causing a constriction of blood supply, if it enters the general circulation it can cause an increased heart rate and stronger heart beat, along with a feeling of nervousness. These side effects account for the "rush" that some people feel after receiving an anesthetic shot. Without it, much more anesthesia is required.

Most anesthetic solutions are sold with added vasoconstrictor. Only two, mepivicaine and prilocaine are sold with or without vasoconstrictor. Mepivicaine and prilocaine are short acting without their vasoconstrictor added, they still produce adequate anesthesia for short procedures. The major advantage of using an anesthetic without a vasoconstrictor is that there are virtually no interactions with other drugs the patient may be taking.
How about carbocaine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 01:18 PM

8 posts, read 24,170 times
Default I have experienced the same reaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharki Day View Post
I googled my reaction because of a dental procedure today and came across this "thread"... so thought I'd throw my two cents in. I cracked a tooth and was having a restoration to a lower molar. It took almost five shots to get the area numb. On the first injection, I immediately began to have heart palps, sweaty shaking hands and I felt like throwing up. It was horrible for about 15 minutes. I had no anxiety about going to the dentist... as a matter of fact he's a wonderful dentist... The sensation was very scary for me. I'd never experienced anything like it. Honestly, I was searching to see if maybe there was something in the "local" that I might be allergic to as I'm allergic to several different drugs. I didn't see anything about, sulpha, penicillin or neomycin.
It’s something in the numbing agent. Demand that the dentist uses a different one next time. I put up with this for a while and then my dentist changed me from epi to a different type and so far no heart palpitations or feeling like I will die. He also said something about the preservative and he has tried this other numbing agent without it, and now I have no problem. Do not put up with that. you are the patient, you have rights. If he won’t listen, change dentists.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:25 PM

8 posts, read 24,170 times
Default Same thing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToWarmth View Post
How about carbocaine?
I had those same experiences during anesthetic being used for drilling or crowns. My dentist switched to a different medication that does not last as long. I have a great tolerance for pain. When it starts wearing off, I just ignore the pain. I wish I could find a dentist who would do work with no pain killers. I even had a horrible experience with the same numbing agent at the eye doctor. The tech was not properly trained on their new equipment to take photo’s of the back of the eye. She numbed my eyes at least four different times because she could not get my head placed properly. I was sick, so sick, horrible headache. I sent complaints to the head of the company, Clarkson Eyecare. I will never go back there. There is a reason they try and reduce using numbing agents. They can and do have side effects, some severe and dangerous. Patients have to be advocates and demand better treatment.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Pfau View Post
I had those same experiences during anesthetic being used for drilling or crowns. My dentist switched to a different medication that does not last as long. I have a great tolerance for pain. When it starts wearing off, I just ignore the pain. I wish I could find a dentist who would do work with no pain killers. I even had a horrible experience with the same numbing agent at the eye doctor. The tech was not properly trained on their new equipment to take photo’s of the back of the eye. She numbed my eyes at least four different times because she could not get my head placed properly. I was sick, so sick, horrible headache. I sent complaints to the head of the company, Clarkson Eyecare. I will never go back there. There is a reason they try and reduce using numbing agents. They can and do have side effects, some severe and dangerous. Patients have to be advocates and demand better treatment.
Everyone says they can "top up", meaning inject more anesthetic when it starts to wear off.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:

We need better local anesthetic. I'm wondering if epinephrine was used in the 1960's because the local always lasted through even multiple fillings.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:33 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
I am 70 and have had a lot of dental work since childhood. Refused Novocaine even as a teen for routine cavities. They have given me "laughing gas" (horrible experience) and even put me out totally for everything from root canals to cysts removal to extractions. I will go for Novocaine for any kind of dental surgery, but not cavities.

I have refused pain meds after surgery. Had one Dental Assistant follow me to my car demanding that I take a script for pain medcation. Doctor SAYS you will need this". Damn, woman, I am in my 60's and know my own pain tolerance. A couple of Tylenol to sleep night of surgery is enough. Nothing at all for day after.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncoyote View Post
I would like to know if anyone has had multiple injections in short period of time and how it affected them. I went to Mexico and had my teeth worked on. I had a good recommendation and the dentist was great. Because of the expense of travel etc., we did a lot in 2 1/2 days. I had 6 root canals done in one afternoon requiring about 25 (non-EPI) novicaine injections. The next afternoon I had another 25 while the dentist prepared the teeth for having 8 new crowns put in. It was pretty horrible. I am not a masocist and a fairly tough guy able to deal with pain pretty well and had never had problems going to the dentist or getting shots. A few days after getting home I had a full blown panic attack. I think that's what I had, it was sometime that I had never experienced before. I was triggered because of a really painful family problem that came up. A few days later I went to have a nasty skin cancer removed from my ear. I had it worked on in January but it came back. I had no problem getting multiple lidocaine injections at that time. This time with the same MD, same procedure, I freaked out and could barely deal with the pain of the injections, they nearly had to hold me down to keep me from moving. I had a few other procedures last week involving needles. Same thing. I seem to have overnight lost all tolerance for pain from injections. Anyone heard of this ?
YES! In January I found out I need a tooth extracted. I'm terrified of the idea of an adult erupted tooth extracted! Since then I developed a fear of all procedures requiring some type of anesthesia, even local. Previously I had little to no anxiety with fillings, crowns, root canals and also had gum scaling twice with no problem but that "luxury" is all now in my past!

Old 06-19-2019, 07:35 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,148,260 times
I get totally gassed before the novocaine shot. I can't stand needles aimed for any part of my head. I want to be flying at 30,000 feet before I see the harpoon, let alone hear the drill rev up.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:53 PM

446 posts, read 396,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmommy View Post
Has anyone else had a bad reaction to local anesthetic used by a dentist? I went in last Saturday for some routine work and asked for local anesthetic, after the third shot I very suddenly felt like I'd been hit in the head, the room started swimming and I had extreme double vision and a suffocated feeling. It lasted about 15 minutes and I continued to feel off for the rest of the day. I still have pain on either side of my jaw from the injection sites.

It was so terrifying I think I'd rather endure the pain than go through this again.

The dr said this is a rare reaction and that my blood vessels were constricting.

The hygienist looked terrified through the whole ordeal, I think she was waiting for me to drop dead before her eyes, which did not assuage my fears while going through this!
I had such bad reactions to novocaine decades ago that i quit taking it and would have my teeth drilled and filled without any anesthetic. The minor amount of pain was worth it to be clear-headed and to feel like myself.

That has been literally decades ago and since then I have had teeth pulled instead of filled, so of course some anesthetic has been needed for that! But I make it very clear to the dentist that I cannot have novocaine. There are apparently several alternative anesthetics nowadays, and some have worked for me. I suggest you talk this over not only with your dentist but with your primary care doctor. I include epinephrine on my medical list of drugs I am allergic to, because I am so sensitive to it.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:54 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,843 times
Novocaine was taken off the market decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health