Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:17 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
Ever think it could be your attitude? Denver is a big guy town, you should have no problems if you are looking for a guy.
Actually, from what I noticed here in Denver is the fact that it seems so many of the Black people here are oppressed

I go downtown every week to a salon, and today I took a hard and deep look around. I have barely seen a single professional or at the very least half-decent looking Black person around.

Now, I'm sure the topic of the elected Black mayor will come up but I look around and it doesn't quite change that. In addition, I mentioned this in a Salt Lake City post when I considered moving there, but it seems like the main type of White guys I've had who wanted to date me here are generally the destitute and the poor. The guy with no car, barely getting by. It's like damn, I'm a stable, athletic good looking Black person with my own creature comforts...I shouldn't have this much issue finding a decent White guy to date. Much less many of them seem to have no desire to speak to me

But when I put 2 and 2 together, it seems like many of the White people here who actually have something going for themselves dismiss me as dating material automatically because I'm Black. And I say that because they will give off the impression that they are unavailable to me, but then I see them again and they are totally content to surround themselves around Whites. But when I look around the city and see how many of the Black people are presenting themselves I almost see why The few Black people that I have met here with something going for themselves have been sent here for job-related purposes from out of state. And then the few Black people here who have surrounded themselves around the White 'crowd' have more than likely lived here their whole life. They practically grew up together. But it's not so easy for a single, new Black person who just came in from another state. They see me as being Black and have a whole list of preconceived notions about me before they even know me.

I'm sorry to be a downer, but I just feel there's more to be said about the city that should be taken into consideration. But like I said, if you're already married and don't have to deal with what I deal with then of course I can see how wonderful it can seem. And plus you have a job lined up..you're good to go. I'm trying to give myself a chance to like it and I really DON'T want to move because I have such a wonderful place here...but at the same time with the way things have been going here in my personal life it's hard to really want to stay out here. I really don't have any GOOD reason to stay out here. No family, no friends, no boyfriend, my job can take me wherever I want to be. And I don't like the position that I have to play as a Black person out here. Always being overlooked for someone who is White or Hispanic and even if I end up finding someone worthwhile, if we break up I have to wait several more months-a year or more to find someone else?

Thinking about moving to Denver? I've been here for 8 months. Those were my observations.

Last edited by CruisingUSA; 07-08-2011 at 11:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 12:32 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
What a great place to live!

Schools. I'm not very familiar with east Denver, but we are told that the area we are building (Lone Tree/Parker) have great schools and most of the Denver area as a whole has a pretty good school system. We don't have kids yet, so this wasn't a huge thing for us.

Building in the lone tree/merdian area is smart. I think the homes in that area will increase a lot over the years, where as highlands ranch will stay the same. Some of lonetree does go to highlands ranch HS and you dont want that. The Meridan go to Chapperral HS.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:36 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
Actually, from what I noticed here in Denver is the fact that it seems so many of the Black people here are oppressed

I go downtown every week to a salon, and today I took a hard and deep look around. I have barely seen a single professional or at the very least half-decent looking Black person around.

Now, I'm sure the topic of the elected Black mayor will come up but I look around and it doesn't quite change that. In addition, I mentioned this in a Salt Lake City post when I considered moving there, but it seems like the main type of White guys I've had who wanted to date me here are generally the destitute and the poor. The guy with no car, barely getting by. It's like damn, I'm a stable, athletic good looking Black person with my own creature comforts...I shouldn't have this much issue finding a decent White guy to date. Much less many of them seem to have no desire to speak to me

But when I put 2 and 2 together, it seems like many of the White people here who actually have something going for themselves dismiss me as dating material automatically because I'm Black. And I say that because they will give off the impression that they are unavailable to me, but then I see them again and they are totally content to surround themselves around Whites. But when I look around the city and see how many of the Black people are presenting themselves I almost see why The few Black people that I have met here with something going for themselves have been sent here for job-related purposes from out of state. And then the few Black people here who have surrounded themselves around the White 'crowd' have more than likely lived here their whole life. They practically grew up together. But it's not so easy for a single, new Black person who just came in from another state. They see me as being Black and have a whole list of preconceived notions about me before they even know me.

I'm sorry to be a downer, but I just feel there's more to be said about the city that should be taken into consideration. But like I said, if you're already married and don't have to deal with what I deal with then of course I can see how wonderful it can seem. And plus you have a job lined up..you're good to go. I'm trying to give myself a chance to like it and I really DON'T want to move because I have such a wonderful place here...but at the same time with the way things have been going here in my personal life it's hard to really want to stay out here. I really don't have any GOOD reason to stay out here. No family, no friends, no boyfriend, my job can take me wherever I want to be. And I don't like the position that I have to play as a Black person out here. Always being overlooked for someone who is White or Hispanic and even if I end up finding someone worthwhile, if we break up I have to wait several more months-a year or more to find someone else?

Thinking about moving to Denver? I've been here for 8 months. Those were my observations.
Haven't we covered this already in this forum with you? You can't get a date because you are a miserable angry person, not because you are black.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:01 AM

345 posts, read 913,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Haven't we covered this already in this forum with you? You can't get a date because you are a miserable angry person, not because you are black.
I said it before ( yea I am thread drifting here, sorry) bars are not the place to meet someone if you are looking to "date" them. Those are more people hanging out together as a group or people trolling for a one night stand. Bars ain't the place to go, it is either that or that she wears dead animal pelts, idk
I hope she has better luck in her new state. Clearly Colorado isn't for everyone. I am glad the OP so far has found it to be a good place to live.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:08 AM

366 posts, read 1,373,549 times
Quote:
Thank you!!! I am mixed black/white and I have no problems meeting women in Denver. If you are sitting in the corner with a scowl on your face of course nobody is going to want to associate with you.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:07 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,939 times
Quote:

Be right back (away from the PC).

I heading over to the kitchen to get some Oreo's w/ milk.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:18 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
Quote:
Building in the lone tree/merdian area is smart. I think the homes in that area will increase a lot over the years, where as highlands ranch will stay the same. Some of lonetree does go to highlands ranch HS and you dont want that. The Meridan go to Chapperral HS.
Meridian Village is exactly where we're building. about 3 miles from I-25 right off Lincoln Avenue. it seems to be really nice around there, and we are looking forward to getting into our house. We are currently renting a small one-bedroom across town in Lakewood at Bel Mar on Wadsworth Blvd.

Good to hear that they've got good schools around there. My wife and I are planning on having a little one in about a yaer.

I'm glad that this thread helped a lot of people. Again, I actually discovered the city-data forums myself when i was trying to research Denver, and I had yet to see a thread from a transplant with their opinions (not that I looked very hard LOL)

Any of you folks from DC or anywhere else for that matter that are considering a move to Denver, feel free to send me a PM and I will answer any questions I can in great detail.

GO REDSKINS!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-10-2011, 09:34 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
Crusing -yeah yeah everything is about race. When you're not qualified its about race ( for a professional your sentence structure is not adequate). Most people have gotten over race a long time ago.

On the other hand I don't see why anyone in Denver should offer a job or decent living arrangements to a "Skins fan". The fact that he doesn't even try to keep it a secret poses a huge challenge to loyal Denverites- "Should we allow our city to be infiltrated by this trash? What will happen to real estate prices (that hasn't already happened)." (Randle-El was cool though).

Old 07-10-2011, 03:59 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
^ LOL! My parents and friends were teasing me, saying that I might not be welcome by many Denver locals as a Redskins fan.

Even though it was over 20 years ago, the Redskins did DESTROY the Broncos in the Superbowl.

But at least Elway finally got himself a few rings.

I would imagine John Elway is a GOD around these parts.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:39 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post

I would imagine John Elway is a GOD around these parts.
Nah, most people I know that have met him say he's a rude pompous arse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver