Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 06:02 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times

Advertisements

This thread has taken on a life of its own. I love it in HR. Enough said.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Having worked in the tuberculosis ward at bellevue in NYC I was tempted to respond with some relevant facts and data but i think i will just let this ignorant post speak for itself.
Housing conditions that serve as risk factors for tuberculosis infection and disease - CCDR Vol.33 ACS-9 - Public Health Agency of Canada

Overcrowded houses and poor ventilation increase both the likelihood of exposure to Mycobacterium tuberculosis and progression to disease10,23-26.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:58 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Almost completely irrelevant

This Canadian paper is worthless for our density conversation.
1. It only looks at "First Nations populations on and off reserve"
2. It talks about population density per ROOM and not per square km.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
This Canadian paper is worthless for our density conversation.
1. It only looks at "First Nations populations on and off reserve"
2. It talks about population density per ROOM and not per square km.
Don't shoot the messenger:

Overcrowded housing has been known to be a risk factor for TB for decades. This can include high-density housing.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:53 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Time to lock this thread, IMHO.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:14 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Time to lock this thread, IMHO.
No way! This is a great discussion and, so far no major personal attacks

I think that smart, dense growth built up, not out, and planned around transit, bicycles and walking as opposed to the automobile is the type of 'density' being advocated...worries about TB with this type of growth would be unfounded.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:41 AM

90 posts, read 368,129 times
The overriding theme of this thread is people who choose to live in HR do so for a better quality of life while those who don't, condemn such a decision for the impact such a choice has on the rest of society.

So it seems obvious to me it merely gets down to who do you care more about: you and your family or everybody else.

Gee, that's a tough one!

Old 11-26-2011, 10:03 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Don't shoot the messenger:

Overcrowded housing has been known to be a risk factor for TB for decades. This can include high-density housing.
Nobody talking about overcrowded housing as in tenements of the past, we are all aware of that issue. Modern high-density housing in a well planned city are safe and should not be of a concern.

It is not really the housing that is the risk factor--it is people being closer to other people that is the risk. Housing is just one of many ways that people become in close proximity for extended periods. A football game can also be a risk.

So, taking an airplane is even more of a risk because you are enclosed in a small space re-breathing the same air with minimal ventilation. It is even more of risk because it brings people together from more areas of the world that are remote and allows the transfer of diseases.

So should we do without societal, congregate, city living; dense mass transit and large gatherings because there are risks. Of course there are risks to life, if you are alive. if you are so worried, then take death which is the best cure of all risks. I tend to ignore the "Henny Pennys" cackling around me.

Livecontent

Old 11-26-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
No way! This is a great discussion and, so far no major personal attacks

I think that smart, dense growth built up, not out, and planned around transit, bicycles and walking as opposed to the automobile is the type of 'density' being advocated...worries about TB with this type of growth would be unfounded.
Well, it was sort of meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but a lot of people got carried away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Nobody talking about overcrowded housing as in tenements of the past, we are all aware of that issue. Modern high-density housing in a well planned city are safe and should not be of a concern.

It is not really the housing that is the risk factor--it is people being closer to other people that is the risk. Housing is just one of many ways that people become in close proximity for extended periods. A football game can also be a risk.

So, taking an airplane is even more of a risk because you are enclosed in a small space re-breathing the same air with minimal ventilation. It is even more of risk because it brings people together from more areas of the world that are remote and allows the transfer of diseases.

So should we do without societal, congregate, city living; dense mass transit and large gatherings because there are risks. Of course there are risks to life, if you are alive. if you are so worried, then take death which is the best cure of all risks. I tend to ignore the "Henny Pennys" cackling around me.

Livecontent
Gosh, a death wish for me? Thanks.

See above for my rational response.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:46 PM

625 posts, read 1,390,145 times
Quote:
This really has nothing to do with any situation in Colorado. The nice apartments in Confluence Park (high-end condos) and even the older but clean apartments in Capital Hill are not going to give anyone TB, and are great places to live.

The majority of traditional Denver neighborhoods feature primarily single-family homes with yards, mixed with townhomes and smaller apartment buildings.

Want to avoid risk of disease? Watch out for poor insulation/water damage / mold and mildew / poor indoor air quality. True, dormitories and barracks do increase certain risks such as meningitis, but in my apartment building I'm nowhere near this close to my neighbors. And lets not forget the leading cause of death - car accidents. Relying on a car for all travel can be the most dangerous thing we do.

I do agree we're all on the same boat and should rationally plan our city's growth to preserve what we love about Colorado. I don't agree that we'll all fit into the footprint of Denver realistically. But I do not want any of my taxes to go to more highway miles and roads until we catch up with our raila nd bicycle systems after decades of zero investment.

I don't know that Highlands Ranch is good or bad to live in. I'm sure it has good things about it. But what I do try to note for newcomers (and long-time residents) on these forums is that Denver has many beautiful neighborhoods with nice housing, so if you work in the city, you need not look only in suburbs, so give the city a try - you may find you like it. My nieghborhood (ironically, West Highlands - Berkeley) is full of families with children, and they enjoy the neighborliness, pushing their strollers to the cafe or park, walking to school, getting on transit or the bike trails to get to work, etc. Our elementary schools are supposed to be great. Traffic? No idea. I don't worry about it. I save $ on gas and yes, get away with one car for my wife and I, and yes I am glad to impact our environment a little less, but really I like the lifestyle.

Happy Thanksgiving, all.

Last edited by docwatson; 11-26-2011 at 04:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver