Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:37 PM

22 posts, read 178,272 times

Advertisements

I have read some very thoughtful replys that make me think. I am in my 50's, but think I am younger. My luck I probably would fall in the snow. I am worried about the messy roads, driving, slush, etc. My wife worries that our kids won't follow us either to Denver or Seattle, and is very upset about the distance for them to come visit us, thinking she will never see our grandkids grow up. I think that they will move too once they see that both these area are so beautiful and have so many great things to see & do..

But the issue that really is tearing at me is how much snow vs. how much rain throughout the fall-spring can we tolerate. I have diabetes and my eyes prefer the soft gray skies, whereas my wife enjoys the bright sunshine. (We seem to be exact oposites in life, but have been together since age 13).

Anyway, we have been to both areas in their best season, not their worst. Seattle's mild summers & winters beats Denver's hot summers & harsh winters. But I hear it is very DAMP in Seattle, vs. a drier winter in Denver. I guess the best way I can decide is to think- wet & depressed, umbrella & latte vs. aching back from shoveling snow half the year with hot cocoa and sunglasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 08:00 PM

40 posts, read 179,607 times
We are anticipating a move and thinking Denver/Seattle as well. Our main concern is the icy/snowy roads.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:50 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8Scott View Post
We are anticipating a move and thinking Denver/Seattle as well. Our main concern is the icy/snowy roads.
You get ice in both. In my 10 years in portland, Ice was an every 2 year even, but for the past 3 years, its gotten worst. We used to have 1 snow day a year of any worth, last year we had about 5. Im new to denver and all I have heard about is the blizzards of last year. I mention Portland because Seattle and Portland have similar weather.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:48 AM

16 posts, read 52,063 times
Two big differences are weather and geography. Seattle’s weather is always wet. You won’t need an umbrella because it is mostly like walking out of a shower – mist everywhere. It never gets too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter but you are always damp feeling. Of course this leads to beautiful flowers, lots of trees and lush greenness throughout the year. When the sun does come out, it is like a holiday in Seattle. I have seen offices pretty much shut down as people go outside to enjoy it.

Denver’s weather is dry. If you have never been to a desert it is hard to imagine exactly what that means. It means your lips will crack and your skin is dry and you will drink water constantly. While it does snow and the winter temperatures can be quite low, it doesn’t feel all that bad. I know some will disagree with that but trust me, if you can handle humidity in Florida the lack thereof in Denver will make winter seem much warmer than it is. The trade off for all this dry is lots and lots of sunny days.

Seattle’s geography is very hilly. The city itself slopes right down to the waterfront. There are mountains across Elliot bay and Mt. Ranier looks like it is just outside the city even though it is a 100 miles away. The city is beautiful but, from a Philadelphia / NYC perspective, pretty small.

Denver is very flat. But there are mountain views from practically everywhere. Getting into the mountains is a pretty quick, at least until weekends during winter, and there is beautiful scenery everywhere. Denver is a bigger city and the only major metropolis for a 1000 miles.

While I wish I had purchased a home in Seattle 15 years ago, real estate prices there have soared, and it more expensive than Denver.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:21 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Your concern is very valid! We have been in Colorado (Englewood & Parker) for 5 1/2 years and have seen our share of both the ice and snow. We have sold our house and will be on our way to NC. Believe us, you will experience ice and snow on the roads living in the Denver metro area in the winter. That is just part of living in that State/area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8Scott View Post

Old 10-11-2007, 10:49 AM

22 posts, read 178,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Level View Post
Two big differences are weather and geography. Seattle’s weather is always wet. You won’t need an umbrella because it is mostly like walking out of a shower – mist everywhere. It never gets too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter but you are always damp feeling. Of course this leads to beautiful flowers, lots of trees and lush greenness throughout the year. When the sun does come out, it is like a holiday in Seattle. I have seen offices pretty much shut down as people go outside to enjoy it.

Denver’s weather is dry. If you have never been to a desert it is hard to imagine exactly what that means. It means your lips will crack and your skin is dry and you will drink water constantly. While it does snow and the winter temperatures can be quite low, it doesn’t feel all that bad. I know some will disagree with that but trust me, if you can handle humidity in Florida the lack thereof in Denver will make winter seem much warmer than it is. The trade off for all this dry is lots and lots of sunny days.

Seattle’s geography is very hilly. The city itself slopes right down to the waterfront. There are mountains across Elliot bay and Mt. Ranier looks like it is just outside the city even though it is a 100 miles away. The city is beautiful but, from a Philadelphia / NYC perspective, pretty small.

Denver is very flat. But there are mountain views from practically everywhere. Getting into the mountains is a pretty quick, at least until weekends during winter, and there is beautiful scenery everywhere. Denver is a bigger city and the only major metropolis for a 1000 miles.

While I wish I had purchased a home in Seattle 15 years ago, real estate prices there have soared, and it more expensive than Denver.

Hope that helps.
I have been to Seattle twice: the end of October & August. We saw one day of a sprinkle each week, but sunny days for the rest of the week. I can handle rainy days, but not day in day out steady rain that requires living under an umbrella.

Actually I was born & raised in Maryland, 4 seasons.... After the leaves fell, winter would set in, and we would get snow & ice. But I was younger then and maybe Colorado's snow shoveling & backpain would be more frequent.

I have looked at the distance from the subburbs of Arvada to Denver vs. Marysville to Seattle, hoping to be close enough to the inner city sports, etc. to participate in visiting the stadiums. Seems Arvada is much closer.

But all the sunny skies mean nothing if I have to spend all my time shoveling snow for 6 months. I want to enjoy walking, riding a bike, and relaxing in the parks, not battling the weather all the time. It's frustrating trying to find the perfect locale. Thanks to everyone who has replied. (I am having trouble figuring this reply system out, sorry.)

Old 10-11-2007, 11:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
You will not spend six months shoveling snow in Denver. In most winters, you would be hard put to spend six days shoveling snow. There are weeks of warm, sunny weather in between the infrequent snows. Go look at the weather thread on the this forum. Last winter was an exception, not likely to repeat again soon.

Going to Seattle twice, in August and October, does not give you the full experience of Seattle weather. It rains for months in the winter. Starts around Halloween, lasts till May/June. Go to the Seattle forum and browse.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:55 AM

31 posts, read 144,789 times
I hear on this forum that Denver is brown? Is this East Denver towards the plains? How about towards the mountains in West Denver? Is it greener there? Can grass grow all year, except in the winter in Denver?

Old 10-11-2007, 12:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
It's greener IN the mtns, I don't think much greener west of Denver before you get to the mtns. I live west of Denver. Grass really has to be watered at least 2-3 X/week, deeply, to stay green all summer. It gets brown in the fall. You can't keep your sprinklers running after frost, so most people let it die back. It does come back in the spring (usually).

Old 10-11-2007, 01:59 PM

31 posts, read 144,789 times
Are there water restrictions in the summer for watering the grass? Also, can you live pretty much anywhere N,S,W,E of Denver and still see the views of the mountains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver