Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:37 AM

346 posts, read 1,566,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Exactly the book we used, absolutely priceless. People considering moving any distance should get a copy at the library or even buy one. Between that book, visiting here on vacation, and doing internet searches on realtor.com we nailed it down that COL SPGS was where we should go - then we did it.

I'd tell people to forget books like "best places to retire" or "100 best tax havens" or many such titles - they have little hard data on which to base serious relocation decisions. Yes, I was retiring, at age 55, but didn't want to do shuffleboard in FL with old refugees from NYC, or live in some podunk retirement enclave in the middle of some bug-ridden nowhere and watch TV for 8 hours a day.
Ha! You crack me up. You and my husband are in the same age range, actually--but unfortunately he is unable to retire for a while. That's what happens when we marry late and have kids late--not that I'm complaining. Life is good, as far as our home life is concerned. I could never picture my husband with the shuffleboard crowd either. He'd rather be in a band, playing some good ole rock and roll.
Anyway, the book we both read was an excellent resource. I realize that people move for many reasons, and there is no "perfect" place to be. It just comes down to each individual's preferences and finding the closest match. Although I still struggle with mixed feelings at times, I do think that our lives will improve by getting out of SoCal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 08:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
Ha! You crack me up. You and my husband are in the same age range, actually--but unfortunately he is unable to retire for a while. That's what happens when we marry late and have kids late--not that I'm complaining. Life is good, as far as our home life is concerned. I could never picture my husband with the shuffleboard crowd either. He'd rather be in a band, playing some good ole rock and roll.
Anyway, the book we both read was an excellent resource. I realize that people move for many reasons, and there is no "perfect" place to be. It just comes down to each individual's preferences and finding the closest match. Although I still struggle with mixed feelings at times, I do think that our lives will improve by getting out of SoCal.
We did that, too. We will hit retirement age about the time our youngest graduates from college. Maybe that's soon enough to get the kids "launched".

Old 11-20-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
We did that, too. We will hit retirement age about the time our youngest graduates from college. Maybe that's soon enough to get the kids "launched".
That's not too bad! I keep joking that my husband will finally get to retire at age 75. (Hopefully it will remain a joke and not become our reality!)

To everyone on this thread: Many thanks for a great discussion and for encouraging me to get out of this declining area.

Last edited by rebagirl; 11-20-2007 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: added content

Old 12-26-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Still Wondering

After almost two years of researching Colorado, and spending many hours on this forum, I am again wondering if Colorado would be a good move for us. I have not forgotten the many encouraging words from those of you who have offered your insights. I am still torn for some reason though, yet I don't want it to paralyze me from ever making a change. Here are a few concerns:

1. Hubby is only about 10 years away from retirement--not sure a new job is a good idea--or if someone would hire an "experienced" guy from California.
2. Kids--2 who are 7, and one young adult (20) Worried about pulling them from all that they know--and being able to support them financially in Colorado.
3. Friends--I would be leaving behind a wonderful group of gals who support one another and take care of each other's kids at the drop of a hat, if needed.
4. No ocean, which I love. No more bonfires on the beach with the kids, making s'mores, going to Balboa Island, whale watching, body surfing, eating at Rudy's at the end of the pier, etc.
5. The expense involved in moving--Ouch!
6. My job--if I go back to full-time teaching, I would lose a minimum of 10 years' pay, dropping my salary to $25,000 less per year.

I wouldn't miss the smog, traffic, graffiti that comes with this area, and I've always been attracted to the Denver area. Being near our relatives in Aurora would be great--just not sure it's worth leaving all that is familiar behind.

I know I posted some similar thoughts a while back after my return from Denver. I apologize for repeating myself--just feeling a bit confused again, and hoping someone may either sympathize or give me a big kick in the rear.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:23 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Given your situation, the best thing might be to stay put in California-- assuming you're making ends meet and you're not going totally insane. You can ALWAYS move to Colorado any time you like, but once you leave California it may be just plain too difficult to come back. Denver is a great place, but there's nothing Denver offers that can't also be had where you live-- and you can't say that for the other way around.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
After almost two years of researching Colorado, and spending many hours on this forum, I am again wondering if Colorado would be a good move for us. I have not forgotten the many encouraging words from those of you who have offered your insights. I am still torn for some reason though, yet I don't want it to paralyze me from ever making a change. Here are a few concerns:

1. Hubby is only about 10 years away from retirement--not sure a new job is a good idea--or if someone would hire an "experienced" guy from California.
2. Kids--2 who are 7, and one young adult (20) Worried about pulling them from all that they know--and being able to support them financially in Colorado.
3. Friends--I would be leaving behind a wonderful group of gals who support one another and take care of each other's kids at the drop of a hat, if needed.
4. No ocean, which I love. No more bonfires on the beach with the kids, making s'mores, going to Balboa Island, whale watching, body surfing, eating at Rudy's at the end of the pier, etc.
6. My job--if I go back to full-time teaching, I would lose a minimum of 10 years' pay, dropping my salary to $25,000 less per year.

I wouldn't miss the smog, traffic, graffiti that comes with this area, and I've always been attracted to the Denver area. Being near our relatives in Aurora would be great--just not sure it's worth leaving all that is familiar behind.

I know I posted some similar thoughts a while back after my return from Denver. I apologize for repeating myself--just feeling a bit confused again, and hoping someone may either sympathize or give me a big kick in the rear.
Interesting...I (and my wife and four kids) am here in SoCal this week at my parents' (1500 sqft) house - cramped. It is sunny and in the mid 60s. As I sat this morning at the park and let the kids play in shorts and tshirts I realized that in Colorado I couldn't do this all winter. But I also realized that this convenience and a few others do not outweigh the benefits of Colorado. I knew why I left SoCal. The reasons are still there. The financial differences alone are overwhelming. Though I've only been back here for a couple of days I am already looking forward to decompressing once I drive back up CO-83 or I-25 through Douglas County up to Monument.

Your husband wouldn't move without a job first right?

Couldn't the Aurora relatives help out as the friends in SoCal do now?
What will SoCal be like in ten years? Will your kids have even the slightest chance of affording a home near you then?

The s'mores on the beach thing was fun because you where with your friends and family. If you were in a forest or someone's back deck you'd be having fun too.

Your teaching job: A) Wouldn't you be teaching in a more positive environment? B) Isn't the housing differential more than enough to compensate for the reduced salary?

The expense of moving is a very realistic concern. Ideally you find an employer to offer relo.

Last edited by Charles; 12-26-2007 at 03:42 PM..

Old 12-26-2007, 03:27 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
.....snip....and hoping someone may either sympathize or give me a big kick in the rear.
http://bestsmileys.com/kick/2.gif (broken link)

Keep digging for info and answers, it will eventually become clear to you...

Old 12-26-2007, 07:36 PM

136 posts, read 741,860 times
Quote:

Totally understandable because I am in the exact same situation. Just spent three days in Pismo Beach, oh, California offers too much! Moving to Denver is my dream. However, leaving California is way too difficult!

Old 12-26-2007, 10:57 PM

9 posts, read 25,194 times
I am going to Denver in a couple of weeks to scope out the area. I've lived in South Florida most of my life and feel stuck here. I am so ready for a change. I will be looking into Aurora, Wheat Ridge, Westminster, Thornton and Arvada. I also am having second thoughts about moving but feel it is absolutely necessary for me in order to move forward. Hopefully I will like what I find! I'll let you know.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:59 PM

388 posts, read 328,669 times
Quote:
I wouldn't miss the smog, traffic, graffiti that comes with this area, and I've always been attracted to the Denver area.
Denver has plenty of graffiti:

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5203371

and smog

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver