Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2014, 03:03 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Well, yesterday I was called up by another job offer on the east side of town. The pay is the same but the location puts me much closer to affordable rental markets on the east side. I am going to pursue the opportunity. Just grazing over craigslist there are so many more flexible living situations for an affordable price in the northeast to southeast areas. This job is located off of east Colfax.
Good, a step in the right direction. Can you give us cross streets? Heed the warnings on craigslist about scammers....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:10 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Good, a step in the right direction. Can you give us cross streets? Heed the warnings on craigslist about scammers....
This new job is located relatively close to the 225 interstate. Its city location is listed as Aurora.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:19 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
That puts you near the Anschutz Medical Campus, Children's Hospital, etc.

We've had a lot of threads from people heading to work or school in that area. You could search on Anschutz or other key terms like Medical or East Aurora to find some of them.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:53 PM

182 posts, read 328,175 times
I was not per-say against the pot legalization (and no I am not a pot person) but I had an eye opening experience recently having to re-list our home for rent in the south part of town. I've had to drop my rent a little, which is now pretty much what my mortgage is so I'm not making any huge profits or driving up rent. We have a very nice home but because it's fall the available renters looking right now have mostly consisted of people who really can't afford my home but their eyes are bigger than their wallets, trying to offer me $800 less a month in rent. Rolling my eyes. The biggest shocker was the two guys that were ready even before viewing the home to plop down a deposit. After they looked at it, the guy tried to slide in "you said it was okay to grow marijuana right" when I actually had NO POT allowed in my listing. These guys were wanting to fill my house with pot, not just the 6 plants your allowed or whatever it is. Kind of scary people like this are looking at nice, suburban neighborhoods to do this stuff in which was clearly illegal activity. If you think rent is inflated in Denver, you have no idea what California is like. I will take the rent in Colorado any day. My house in California would probably rent for $2,000 more than what I'm asking in Colorado.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:48 PM

170 posts, read 246,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Trvl View Post
I was not per-say against the pot legalization (and no I am not a pot person) but I had an eye opening experience recently having to re-list our home for rent in the south part of town. I've had to drop my rent a little, which is now pretty much what my mortgage is so I'm not making any huge profits or driving up rent. We have a very nice home but because it's fall the available renters looking right now have mostly consisted of people who really can't afford my home but their eyes are bigger than their wallets, trying to offer me $800 less a month in rent. Rolling my eyes. The biggest shocker was the two guys that were ready even before viewing the home to plop down a deposit. After they looked at it, the guy tried to slide in "you said it was okay to grow marijuana right" when I actually had NO POT allowed in my listing. These guys were wanting to fill my house with pot, not just the 6 plants your allowed or whatever it is. Kind of scary people like this are looking at nice, suburban neighborhoods to do this stuff in which was clearly illegal activity. If you think rent is inflated in Denver, you have no idea what California is like. I will take the rent in Colorado any day. My house in California would probably rent for $2,000 more than what I'm asking in Colorado.
Just curious how much are you asking in rent and what city in the south part of town is this home located in?
My relative owns 7 homes in the south part of town and doesn't have any problems finding tenants no matter what time of year it is. So maybe your rent is too high or the condition of the house isn't good? I agree it is tough to vet tenants effectively, but right now with the hot rental market in town you should get lots of applicants and be able to eliminate the potentially bad tenants.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:38 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Trvl View Post
I do not know what part of California you are talking about, as in San Francisco which is considerably higher than Denver, but the jobs pay more. Orange County the prices are only slightly higher but the jobs still pay more, or San Diego where the jobs pay more and the rental prices are very comparable. I have met 3 different couples from San Diego in the last year, all cannot understand how the prices are so high.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:46 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Well, yesterday I was called up by another job offer on the east side of town. I got the call right after I was posting here actually. The pay is the same (I was quoted pay in the$40,000-$45,000 range by a current co-worker) but the location puts me much closer to affordable rental markets on the east side. I am going to pursue the opportunity. Just grazing over craigslist there are so many more flexible living situations for an affordable price in the northeast to southeast areas. This job is located off of east Colfax.
Keep in mind East Colfax is not the best area to look for housing. You could find a diamond in the rough, but I figured I'd give you fair notice.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:11 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I do not know what part of California you are talking about, as in San Francisco which is considerably higher than Denver, but the jobs pay more. Orange County the prices are only slightly higher but the jobs still pay more, or San Diego where the jobs pay more and the rental prices are very comparable. I have met 3 different couples from San Diego in the last year, all cannot understand how the prices are so high.
Pay is not commensurate in California by a long shot, not even San Diego.

Rents are 30% cheaper here in Denver vs SD and houses are 50% cheaper here.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:40 AM

694 posts, read 1,039,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Keep in mind East Colfax is not the best area to look for housing. You could find a diamond in the rough, but I figured I'd give you fair notice.
yea, attempted murder (shooting) last night (Monday) at East Colfax and Monaco. Victim in critical condition.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:21 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
yea, attempted murder (shooting) last night (Monday) at East Colfax and Monaco. Victim in critical condition.
Well that sure isn't calming! Was it gang related? I know across America most homicide is gang related. I certainly don't plan on involving myself with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver