Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,035 times

Advertisements

How do people in denver adapt to the cold weather, snowstorms, and etc...

PLEASE PLEASE hELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 21,275 times
Denver isn't too bad. 60 inches isnt that unbearable plus it melts fast. The mountains are a different story.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:12 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotawholelotosay View Post
How do people in denver adapt to the cold weather, snowstorms, and etc...

PLEASE PLEASE hELP
They just think about people in other parts of the country where there is lots of cold weather and snowstorms and traffic and endless cloudy days and expensive housing and no jobs and humidity and poor schools.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:16 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
You're joking... right?

Look, we Denver people are tough. We don't even wear jackets in the winter. Well, not unless it's below zero. LOL...

Last edited by tfox; 02-26-2008 at 08:34 PM..

Old 02-26-2008, 08:25 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,497 times
Not only that, some days I don't wear pants....I mean, I wear shorts - what did you think I meant?! Seriously, though, last Sunday Feb. 24, I wore shorts most of the day. After living in MA the majority of my life, that's my kind of winter!

Old 02-26-2008, 08:32 PM

66 posts, read 247,037 times
I've got to say compared to N Virginia and SE New York the winter in Denver is tame.

You get your snow and it's generally gone in a day or 2. The nights get chilly but the days warm up nicely even in December. 50 degrees feels like 65 back east. No jacket needed.

Oh yeah I can't tell you how many people I've seen in denver with no jacket and 25-30 degrees..... in sandals too!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:42 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
You're joking... right?

Look, we Denver people are tough. We don't even wear jackets in the winter. Well, not unless it's below zero. LOL...
I agree with you, but if you talk to people here in Phoenix, they'll think Coloradans are crazy for living in a place that gets snow. When people get really used to warm weather climates, they almost become "cold blooded." I've seen people here wear sweaters when it's 80 degrees out. No joke. And people here won't even bat an eye at 105 degrees, whereas people in Denver would be freaking out at that temperature. I guess it shows it's all relative, based on what you're used to.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:37 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,497 times
I remember traveling to Tucson (from MA) to see my grandparents when they were alive. We went in February a few times and I would wear shorts and t-shirts and get the "he must be mentally deranged" look!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:46 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
here's how i adapted coming from california during a recent storm this winter..

put on a pair of jeans, a medium jacket(wool lined from old navy, nothin special), a beanie, and some chapstick. it really wasnt that bad because its not very windy. the only time it got bad was when the wind kicked up, which happened when i was eating icecream from coldstone and kind of sucked. in the end from what everyone told me, the snowfall and weather was kind of business as usual. little snow, lots of sun, little snow, lots of sun, etc. seems fairly manageable compared to some other areas in the states.

came in during the tail end of a storm and left when another one was rolling in. i feel much worse for the people that have to travel the hills into evergreen and vail and such than i do those in denver from what i saw. my fwd pontiac hit a few patches of ice during my trip through the rockies and that was a little "different" than what im used to. followed the tire tracks on the road like everyone else(eventhough they didnt follow any laws of reason) and survived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatcat View Post

Oh yeah I can't tell you how many people I've seen in denver with no jacket and 25-30 degrees..... in sandals too!
ah yes, real men. swimming in the pacific in winter kind of prepares you for cold weather. i hope i make the grade

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-27-2008 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: Merging 2:1

Old 02-27-2008, 07:15 AM

12 posts, read 79,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I agree with you, but if you talk to people here in Phoenix, they'll think Coloradans are crazy for living in a place that gets snow. When people get really used to warm weather climates, they almost become "cold blooded." I've seen people here wear sweaters when it's 80 degrees out. No joke. And people here won't even bat an eye at 105 degrees, whereas people in Denver would be freaking out at that temperature. I guess it shows it's all relative, based on what you're used to.
As someone who is making the move from Phoenix to Denver in a month, it is going to be interesting to see just how thin my blood is. I will probably stick out like a sore thumb my first year there with my beanies and coats on, lol. I am so looking forward to cooler weather though. Last summer did me in. 120 degree days are just too much. At least when there is snow on the ground, it can be enjoyed. There is no way to dress comfortable enough to be outside in an oven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver