Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 09:51 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I drive AWD with winter tires. It’s not about getting stuck. It’s about being able to to stop over twice as quickly. Stopping in 50 feet versus 100 feet is a big deal. Why would I not choose that option.
It's your money and your time, and you have every right to spend it on snow tires if you want. Not everyone agrees it's worth the money and time. So long as the driver adjusts their driving to the conditions awd is a great help, vastly better than just front or rear wheel drive, because it is both. So my only point is to say awd doesn't matter is flat out wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 10:03 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
It's your money and your time, and you have every right to spend it on snow tires if you want. Not everyone agrees it's worth the money and time. So long as the driver adjusts their driving to the conditions awd is a great help, vastly better than just front or rear wheel drive, because it is both. So my only point is to say awd doesn't matter is flat out wrong.
The money factor is way overblown. Snow tires are nominally more expensive. You get extra life out of your summer tires so they last twice as long when you switch them out every year. The time excuse is plain lazy.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:13 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,286 times
Quote:
The money factor is way overblown. Snow tires are nominally more expensive. You get extra life out of your summer tires so they last twice as long when you switch them out every year. The time excuse is plain lazy.
Probably 95% of the season you are driving snow tires on dry pavement. That's a silly waste of money when snow tires last 15k miles. But, it's your money throw it away if you wish.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:19 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Quote:
Probably 95% of the season you are driving snow tires on dry pavement. That's a silly waste of money when snow tires last 15k miles. But, it's your money throw it away if you wish.
It’s not just snow. It’s cold. Winter tires perform much better than standard rubber on cold pavement which is basically whenever the sun is not out. You know, standard commute times....

Old 10-24-2017, 10:21 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,667 times
Quote:
It’s not just snow. It’s cold. Winter tires perform much better than standard rubber on cold pavement which is basically whenever the sun is not out. You know, standard commute times....
This is a pretty good article explaining the design of the winter tires a little better.

https://info.kaltire.com/how-do-winter-tires-work/

Old 10-24-2017, 10:57 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
At my shop, the time is an hour. If we're running behind it's 1.5 max.

As long as you aren't driving on snow tires in 80+ degree weather, you'll do fine. I run my expensive blizzaks(LM-32s) Oct-May and this is my second season where I could probably get a third out of them (trading car in so it won't matter) You want to make sure you are rotating your snows as well 3-5k miles.

Hakkas are available and great tires. But they are costly and can sometimes need to be shipped in from Nokian at 3-5 business days.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:58 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,673,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
It is my understanding that AWD may help navigate rough patches better than FWD or RWD, but winter tires help significantly more with traction (which includes coming to a stop) in slick conditions.

I've had several people tell me over the years that the tires make the biggest impact, not so much the drive train.
AWD makes a tremendous difference getting through snow and accelerating in slippery conditions and all that, so much so that I'd rather have a good AWD system with all-seasons than 2WD with winter tires if improved acceleration and forward momentum were all there is to improved winter driving. But of course they're not, there's also steering and braking. AWD provides some benefit in turning in slick conditions but not nearly as much as winter tires do. And of course AWD provides no benefit in braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Motor Trend article in December issue says Nokian snow tires from Finland may be the best possible. Available in Canada and expanding to USA eventually.
If swapping is a problem just buy an extra set of steel wheels and have a shop do it for you in 30 minutes.
Nokians have been available in the U.S. for at least two decades now. My wife's winter tires are Nokians.

Quote:
Even on dry pavement winter tires improve traction in winter because their softer compound stays more pliant in colder temperatures. While your all-seasons are stiffening up when the mercury drops, winter tires are in their element providing significantly better cornering and stopping traction.

Last edited by Bitey; 10-24-2017 at 04:32 PM..

Old 10-24-2017, 04:22 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,095,198 times
Do they allow studded tires in your state?

Old 10-24-2017, 04:24 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,673,914 times
Who me, or the Colorado folks here?

Old 10-24-2017, 04:28 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,095,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
AWD makes a tremendous difference getting through snow and accelerating in slippery conditions and all that, so much so that I'd rather have a good AWD system with all-seasons than 2WD with winter tires if improved acceleration and forward momentum was to improved winter driving. But of course they're not, there's also steering and braking. AWD provides some benefit in turning in slick conditions but not nearly as much as winter tires do. And of course AWD provides no benefit in braking.

Nokians have been available in the U.S. for at least two decades now. My wife's winter tires are Nokians.
The Nokian studded SUV tires are the best. You will pay >$300 per tire but it's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver