Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2017, 07:41 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
I'd also like to point out that chains > anything in true adverse conditions. I've passed some struggling 4WD trucks/SUVs in some rural areas with my FWD and chains with all-seasons. I'd bet that you throw chains on the FWD with summer tires in that video and it makes it up top.

Yes, chains are a PITA to put on and can't be worn on asphalt, but I'd take chains any day in back country rural roads in the winter.
Yes, however extremely impractical. You're not going to put on chains for your icy morning commute. This is where studless winter tires are so valuable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 07:54 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Just make sure you are NOT putting chains on snow tires. They only go on all season tires only

Old 03-27-2017, 09:18 AM

63 posts, read 64,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Just make sure you are NOT putting chains on snow tires. They only go on all season tires only
What's wrong with using chains on snow tires for additional traction in deep snow?

Old 03-28-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot5 View Post
What's wrong with using chains on snow tires for additional traction in deep snow?

The rubber is too soft and it will destroy the tire. DO NOT put tire chains on snow tires.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:14 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
The rubber is too soft and it will destroy the tire. DO NOT put tire chains on snow tires.
Do you have a source for this? We were in Taos, NM for Christmas and half of the "locals" had studded snow tires and snow chains on in the ski village.

That being said, if your option is to be in a situation where your snow tires aren't getting you through, putting chains on for a few miles is better than being stuck.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Do you have a source for this? We were in Taos, NM for Christmas and half of the "locals" had studded snow tires and snow chains on in the ski village.

That being said, if your option is to be in a situation where your snow tires aren't getting you through, putting chains on for a few miles is better than being stuck.
She works in the tire industry.

Studded tires are often a different, harder rubber compound than the softer rubber used in non studded snows. The softer rubber and aggressive tread pattern on the non studded snows is actually better than studs in snow. Studs are better on ice. There is data in this thread showing this.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:04 AM

Yes, I'm in the tire industry. If you're really concerned about it-purchase studded snow tires---Cooper, Nokian, Hankook, etc.

But please do not put snow chains on snow tires-I have seen what it can do and it was several thousand in damages to the vehicle. Also, chains are meant for only immediate dire situations. Do not keep them on for longer than you have to.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:43 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
She works in the tire industry.

Studded tires are often a different, harder rubber compound than the softer rubber used in non studded snows. The softer rubber and aggressive tread pattern on the non studded snows is actually better than studs in snow. Studs are better on ice. There is data in this thread showing this.
Is this true across all brands? I know at one point in time, Nokian had a warehouse in northern New England where their Hakkapeliitta's were being studded as needed. This was probably 15 years ago.

I may have an unstudded one as a spare where I can check to see if the stud holes are in there.

FWIW, great thread. I'm going to use it next year when the CT guys argue over "snows or not"

Old 03-29-2017, 08:04 AM

902 posts, read 1,105,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I went from a BMW M3 to a 4Runner. I always ran Nokian winter tires on the M3 because it was a high horsepower RWD car. My first winter with the 4Runner I thought "All Seasons will be fine in this beast". It took me exactly one snow storm before I ran out and put Blizzaks on it. There is no comparison.

We currently have a 4Runner and a Land Cruiser. Both get Blizzaks in the winter.

yup, the Nokian Hakkapeliitta is the absolute best winter tire..... period, but a bit expensive

The Blizzaks are very good but for the same money you could have the Michelin X-Ice 3, slightly higher rated winter tire

Old 03-29-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Is this true across all brands? I know at one point in time, Nokian had a warehouse in northern New England where their Hakkapeliitta's were being studded as needed. This was probably 15 years ago.

I may have an unstudded one as a spare where I can check to see if the stud holes are in there.

FWIW, great thread. I'm going to use it next year when the CT guys argue over "snows or not"
No. Some studded tire use the softer rubbers, but I have seen some of the cheaper brands don't. Nokian uses great rubber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver