Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 01:18 PM

37 posts, read 124,696 times

Advertisements

Now I have a request for info. Does anybody here recall a store called Hatches? I remember them having a book store in the old Lakeside shopping center then when the shopping center was rebuilt into a mall. They also had gift shops and book stores in some of the other malls around town. I think they were bought by someone eventually, but I can't seem to find any references on the 'net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 02:44 PM

9 posts, read 51,789 times
There was a Hatches on the corner of 8th and Colorado Blvd. It was a drug store/book store/and had a lunch counter. They sold cosmetics mags, and everything in between.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:49 PM

9 posts, read 51,789 times
Celebrity had 50 or more bowling lanes. This place on Colfaxv and Colo blvd. had only ten lanes.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:07 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,024,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimer1 View Post
Now I have a request for info. Does anybody here recall a store called Hatches? I remember them having a book store in the old Lakeside shopping center then when the shopping center was rebuilt into a mall. They also had gift shops and book stores in some of the other malls around town. I think they were bought by someone eventually, but I can't seem to find any references on the 'net.
I remember Hatches Book Stores. They were in all the malls, along with Walden Books and Coles. I spend a lot of time in them all. Had to stand there reading the books. No seating area like the Tattered Cover in those days.

I think they were all bought out or run out of business by B. Dalton's. Which in turn was bought out by Barnes & Noble.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I remember Hatches Book Stores. They were in all the malls, along with Walden Books and Coles. I spend a lot of time in them all. Had to stand there reading the books. No seating area like the Tattered Cover in those days.

I think they were all bought out or run out of business by B. Dalton's. Which in turn was bought out by Barnes & Noble.
I remember them disappearing one by one as The Lakeside Mall went under, and then the Westminster Mall went through its slow lingering death. I think Walden or B. Dalton was also in the Westy mall as well. In any case they are all gone now. Only B & N is left and they have been down sizing as well.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:14 PM

For those interested, here is the Cinderella City directory from 1977.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:12 PM

I see the Hatch's books and gifts listed. I also remember one of the record stores there, not sure which one it was, but they also had posters, t-shirts, jewelry and other .... er, supplies used for recreational purposes. I also remember well the Der Wienerschnitzel in the Shamrock Mall. I dated a girl who worked there. She was actually my best friends aunt (an oops baby) but was the same age as me. Used to tease my friend that as long as me and her were together, he should call me "Uncle"!
I also remember the Funway Freeway! One of the largest arcades I knew of at the time! The huge fountain!
Thanks for bringing that Kaboom, that is just way too cool!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimer1 View Post
I see the Hatch's books and gifts listed. I also remember one of the record stores there, not sure which one it was, but they also had posters, t-shirts, jewelry and other .... er, supplies used for recreational purposes. I also remember well the Der Wienerschnitzel in the Shamrock Mall. I dated a girl who worked there. She was actually my best friends aunt (an oops baby) but was the same age as me. Used to tease my friend that as long as me and her were together, he should call me "Uncle"!
I also remember the Funway Freeway! One of the largest arcades I knew of at the time! The huge fountain!
Thanks for bringing that Kaboom, that is just way too cool!
No problem. While reading this thread I keep pulling that out to refresh my memory of different stores and places. So I decided I'd scan it and post it for everybody to look at.

Also on the subject of Cinderella City, I just found this video, of the old mall, from the last years in the early 90s. Not exactly the hayday for Cin City, but still interesting.

The Legendary Cinderella City; Princess of Malls of Christmas past (1991) - YouTube

Old 10-15-2013, 10:30 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,044 times
Interesting video (and surprisingly high quality for its age).

There's a whole mall culture out there on the internet, I once spent an entire work day doing google searches and looking at old picture of from Cinderella City, Buckingham Square and other old Denver malls. Then I went on a movie theater tangent and spent a few hours looking at old picture and reading up on the three big-screen theaters that used to be in town.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:22 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,049 times
Good job on the video, Kaboom. I remember going there during opening week and marveling at the mall. Spent a lot of time there back in the day but as the mall declined the only store I frequented was Joslin's. Sure miss that store! That said, I really prefer the open air shopping centers of today, like Aspen Grove in Littleton and Streets at Southglenn in Centennial. We'll probably be lamenting those one day too. Thanks for the trip back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver