Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 11:00 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times

Advertisements

There is an article in Today's Denver Post about the changes happening in the Jefferson Park Neighborhood of Denver.
Jefferson Park neighborhood becoming a jumping place - The Denver Post

I have said that all the areas of Denver are experiencing revitalization and Jefferson Park is one of the most astounding. For those who do not know the area, it is north of Mile Hi Stadium and in the vicinity of that Big Church, Riverside Baptist.

It is certainly not the best area of the city but if changes can happen here--then it is a positive indication of the great development and demand for living in the city, that is occurring in Denver. It is experiencing renewal because it is an area that is very close to Downtown and it shows that revitalization that has started in nearby Highland, to the North, is expanding.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 11:59 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
When I read that article, the first thought that came to mind:

"Great, another overpriced, gentriyuppified Denver neighborhood."

When will the madness end?

Old 12-20-2009, 01:15 AM

There are good and bad of gentrification but your "shotgun" blanket statement does not hold true.

None of the other Neighborhoods on the northwest side of Denver, which have experienced some gentrification have totally excluded other economic classes. I am including Highland, West Highland, Berkeley, Sunnyside, Sloan's Lake and Regis. What has happened is the opening of new businesses and the renewal of property.

Yes, there are some areas where overpriced stores have come into the area but we still see many long term stores in the area and more reasonably priced businesses have opened. There are restaurants with all different value menus. There are new small independent grocery stores on west 38th and in West Highland. There are expansion and remodeling of senior residences. Yes, there has been more expensive homes and condos into the area but many times they are redevelopment of decayed properties. This has added to the value of many of the long term residents. This new economic power has been a stimulus for new businesses to open on Sheridan, Federal and along Colfax, which border these neighborhoods.

I am very familiar with these neighborhoods on this side of city and I have seen them change, for good and bad, over many decades. I do not get the sense that they are over yuppified. The characteristics of these neighborhoods have remained and there are many affordable homes. I see many new immigrants of all economic levels, moving into these areas; I see many long term residents who have stayed for many generations, from many ethnic groups; and yes I do see the new rich coming into the areas but also I see many new creative people. They all mesh together to make these great evolving neighborhoods.

I would suggest you become more familiar with these neighborhoods on this side of the city. You will be rewarded by an excellent city experience.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-20-2009 at 01:25 AM..

Old 12-20-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I would suggest you become more familiar with these neighborhoods on this side of the city. You will be rewarded by an excellent city experience.
I will admit that I don't know the NW side of Denver like the back of my hand, as I don't get there too often.

I did eat at a KFC at 38th and Federal not too long ago, and I was pleasantly surprised at just how remarkably normal everybody seemed to be, it seemed "Genuinely Denver", which is something hard to define and hard to find.

That's what I'm afraid will eventually change. I fear that another Wash Park type (where the who's who of younger success lives) neighborhood will sprout out of NW Denver. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but that kind of place loses its appeal for a family like ours trying to raise two kids on a barely above-average income, while getting value for our dollar.

If you see the renewal of Jefferson Park (it'll be called JeffPark in no time) as a positive thing (and I don't doubt that it is), then that's great.

My gut tells me that Barnum is next on the list to be targeted for renewal, I monitor local real estate in a hobbyish sense, and I see movement there that is pointing towards it being the next "it" spot. Barnum could probably use any improvement it can get. Remember, you heard it here first.

Last edited by Count David; 12-20-2009 at 02:22 AM..

Old 12-20-2009, 10:40 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,814,391 times
I guess gentrification means different things to different people. A high school friend of mine straight out of suburbia got his first apartment in the Highland area back in 1986. I never felt too safe there visiting him myself. He used to have his neighbors who were part of a deadly outlaw biker gang watch his car parked out in front to make sure it wasn't continuously vandalized or broken into..From bad to good or visa versa..you be the judge.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
I guess gentrification means different things to different people. A high school friend of mine straight out of suburbia got his first apartment in the Highland area back in 1986. I never felt too safe there visiting him myself. He used to have his neighbors who were part of a deadly outlaw biker gang watch his car parked out in front to make sure it wasn't continuously vandalized or broken into..From bad to good or visa versa..you be the judge.
Highland has an interesting story.

I once met a guy who grew up in Aurora, and once he got married, the "only" place he could afford to buy a house was Highland. He described it as a "poor, ghetto neighborhood".

Well, by the time he was ready to sell, the neighborhood had begun gentrifying, and he was able to get out of that house and buy an absolutely beautiful house (with an unobstructed view of Mt. Evans) in Evergreen (that's where I met him, I was doing an inspection of his coffee company at his home).

Don't get me wrong, I totally wouldn't want to live near a deadly biker gang. I just want to live somewhere "normal".

Old 12-20-2009, 08:20 PM

I do agree that in some areas and developments, gentrification can go too far in remodeling beyond the characteristics of a neighborhood. It started to happen in North Denver and recently The City of Denver enacted new zoning for this area.

I am not comfortable with stores that sell overpriced merchandise and "look at me" non essentials (I call it fluff) and at the same time there are not enough basic stores and restaurants with less pricey menus. In the Northwest suburbs there, are some small areas where fluff is more evident. However, most of the area is "normal" working class.

This redevelopment of Northwest Denver has brought out the redevelopment of the nearest older ring suburbs in Lakewood, Wheat Ridge and Edge Water. Without this increase in spending power of this new economic class in the area, we would not see all the new stores--and many are basic stores, as Target in Edgewater.

I think the biggest area that will see new redevelopment will be along the West Line Corridor of the Fastracks Commuter Rail Project. This line is now under construction and will be completed in 2013. You will notice that many lots have been cleared near Wadsworth and 13th for the station and you will see development along this area. It is just south of Sloan's Lake and we will see good development in Edgewater. I think Edgewater is starting to be discovered as it is close to the largest lakes in Denver, which has public access; Marston is bigger but is restricted. Edgewater also has nice small walkable business areas that can be really look good with some growth.

In addition, we will have the land available for a large project from the old St. Anthony site on West 17th, once the hospital relocates. We will see many developments along this commuter rail line and around the stations, as it runs along the Lakewood Gulch and Sanchez Park which would be ideal for new housing near the open space.

If you look closely at the west area, you will see many large lots and undeveloped land within the older urban neighborhoods. This will cause more infill housing development, as we have already seen some in North Denver. There is nothing wrong with the city becoming denser and increasing population. Denver can easily accommodate a bigger population. It makes more economic sense than the far out sprawl around edges of the metro area.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-20-2009 at 08:32 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I will admit that I don't know the NW side of Denver like the back of my hand, as I don't get there too often.

I did eat at a KFC at 38th and Federal not too long ago, and I was pleasantly surprised at just how remarkably normal everybody seemed to be, it seemed "Genuinely Denver", which is something hard to define and hard to find.

That's what I'm afraid will eventually change. I fear that another Wash Park type (where the who's who of younger success lives) neighborhood will sprout out of NW Denver. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but that kind of place loses its appeal for a family like ours trying to raise two kids on a barely above-average income, while getting value for our dollar.

If you see the renewal of Jefferson Park (it'll be called JeffPark in no time) as a positive thing (and I don't doubt that it is), then that's great.

My gut tells me that Barnum is next on the list to be targeted for renewal, I monitor local real estate in a hobbyish sense, and I see movement there that is pointing towards it being the next "it" spot. Barnum could probably use any improvement it can get. Remember, you heard it here first.
When I came here, over 30 years ago, it was normal for residents to go from one area to another for shopping. One would go, for example, to Cinderella City in Englewood and Southgate on South Colorado. I remember when the big new shopping, restaurants were near Iliff and Parker and the Tiffany Square on East Hampden was a place to go. Today, the area is much bigger and we all are becoming more focused in our own area.

So, I understand not knowing about the west side, as I am no longer as familiar with Aurora--which is my mind is undervalued by some, as it has many good neighborhoods, expansive parks. It certainly is the economic powerhouse of the suburbs, as it is near the airport and has much more industry. We forget the area is many times referred to as the Denver/Aurora Metroplex; as Aurora is the largest suburbs. Many people have predicted that it will pass Denver in population--it is possible for it has all the plains, to the east to expand--as long as the water is available, which is the problem.

I think the Barnum Neighborhood is a great area with the parks nearby and we have heard many posters on this forum discussing their relocation to that part of the city. I agree it will see more and more development, in the future.

"JeffPark "--you are so right to predict that name. Yuppies love to create little cute name--easier to boast and brag. Are we then going to see a better sub-area called "West JeffPark"???

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-20-2009 at 09:04 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 09:11 PM

119 posts, read 469,294 times
The revitalization in Jefferson Park was bound to happen eventually. I think it started awhile ago though. It doesn't seem too different from where it was when I moved into the area northwest of Jefferson Park two years ago. Proximity to downtown, easy interstate access, historical and reasonably affordable housing stock and with the increase in value of surrounding neighborhoods, you knew this was going to happen.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
When I came here, over 30 years ago, it was normal for residents to go from one area to another for shopping. One would go, for example, to Cinderella City in Englewood and Southgate on South Colorado. I remember when the big new shopping, restaurants were near Iliff and Parker and the Tiffany Square on East Hampden was a place to go. Today, the area is much bigger and we all are becoming more focused in our own area.

So, I understand not knowing about the west side, as I am no longer as familiar with Aurora--which is my mind is undervalued by some, as it has many good neighborhoods, expansive parks. It certainly is the economic powerhouse of the suburbs, as it is near the airport and has much more industry. We forget the area is many times referred to as the Denver/Aurora Metroplex; as Aurora is the largest suburbs. Many people have predicted that it will pass Denver in population--it is possible for it has all the plains, to the east to expand--as long as the water is available, which is the problem.

I think the Barnum Neighborhood is a great area with the parks nearby and we have heard many posters on this forum discussing their relocation to that part of the city. I agree it will see more and more development, in the future.

"JeffPark "--you are so right to predict that name. Yuppies love to create little cute name--easier to boast and brag. Are we then going to see a better sub-area called "West JeffPark"???

Livecontent
Great post.

Yeah, I don't get east of I-25 much at all anymore. And I agree, Aurora is undervalued, and even though I no longer live there, I still like to boast about it.

The thing we have going on in Denver is, newcomers flock to the extreme inner and outer cores of the metro. It's either the hip and posh city neighborhoods or the furthest out suburbs. Has that always been the case?

There are parts of Aurora, Lakewood, Thornton (especially), Northglenn, and a few parts of Arvada and Westminster that are just down right cheap, and seemingly largely ignored as good places to live. Why is that? I should probably keep my mouth shut so there's still affordable housing left for those of us who don't like paying through the nose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver