Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:40 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
When snow is on the ground, Denver looks even prettier.
No kidding. Since this is my first Winter in this house and neighborhood, I still take a moment to pause and enjoy the view when the air is crystal clear and the mountains have snow on them. It's really gorgeous. Incidentally, the city is really pretty in the Fall too when the trees are all yellow. From this hill (Smoky Hill Rd) the entire city turns a golden color. Very nice. It makes up for those days in the summer when the inversion moves in and makes us all wonder where the mountains are!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:56 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
No kidding. Since this is my first Winter in this house and neighborhood, I still take a moment to pause and enjoy the view when the air is crystal clear and the mountains have snow on them. It's really gorgeous. Incidentally, the city is really pretty in the Fall too when the trees are all yellow. From this hill (Smoky Hill Rd) the entire city turns a golden color. Very nice. It makes up for those days in the summer when the inversion moves in and makes us all wonder where the mountains are!
Me too. When I walk in the door from work in the morning, I always take a minute to take in the scenery (even though I can't see the mountains from home) and I might pick up a handful of snow, just to touch it, because I know it won't be there when I wake up.

There really is a positive to every season here. Winter brings, well winter, but we get breaks. Spring brings winter, with warmer breaks. Summer brings the fun, violent thunderstorms in the afternoon, with bright sunshine early on in the day. Fall brings the beautiful golden trees, with a little hint of winter thrown in for good measure.

We really get it all here.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:27 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Denver doesn't have alot in common with the Midwest(other than it's on flat terrain ). There is a Western culture in Denver not found in the Midwest. Denver's history has more in common with the West. IMHO, the Midwest ends at Nebraska/Kansas and I even have a hard time considering some of Kansas' western towns as Midwestern.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Me too. When I walk in the door from work in the morning, I always take a minute to take in the scenery (even though I can't see the mountains from home) and I might pick up a handful of snow, just to touch it, because I know it won't be there when I wake up.

There really is a positive to every season here. Winter brings, well winter, but we get breaks. Spring brings winter, with warmer breaks. Summer brings the fun, violent thunderstorms in the afternoon, with bright sunshine early on in the day. Fall brings the beautiful golden trees, with a little hint of winter thrown in for good measure.

We really get it all here.
That's my absolute favorite thing about Denver. When I was growing up in Seattle, Winter quite literally meant that there could be weeks (months even) when I didn't see the sun. Oh, I knew it was up there somewhere...most often a big ball of light behind the fog and clouds. Even summer sometimes was a disappointment. The entire city took a collective day off when the weather turned great. There would be at least an hour wait to get the boat onto Lake Washington. But, having grown up there, I never even noticed. It didn't bother me until I moved to Arizona.

Arizona. Perpetual sunshine. The joke there is that there are 2 seasons...Summer and August. Monsoon weather in July really heated things up because it not only stayed over 100 degrees at night, but then it got humid. That being said, I loved it. It took me nearly 2 years to break out of my Seattle habit of looking out the window to see the weather before getting dressed. My family even made fun of me after living there for nearly 7 years becuase when the temperature dropped to 70, I was wearing jeans and sweaters. Then I moved to Florida.

Florida. Loved it there, even with the humidity but the weather was always the same. It just got more humid. Sliding around on my shoes while walking and my clothes always being drenched just from being outside, but nonetheless, I loved it there. Then, we moved to Denver.

Denver has the best weather. We get actual seasons but while it may only be 20 degrees outside, the sun is shining. I learned my lesson during the last snowstorm and got what I think was actual eyeball burn (is there such a thing?). Went out and shoveled the sidewalk and driveway without sunglasses on. By the time I came in, my eyes would not dilate...seriously. I couldn't even look at the tv or read a book. Those symptoms lasted until I woke up the next morning. Yikes. The silver lining is that in all my years in Seattle, no one ever got eyeball burn. The sun was never that strong after a snowstorm! The fall here is awesome. The aspen trees are glorious. Winter is even nice because we get snow but never too many perpetual days of overcast skies. Spring...is there anything prettier than the crabapple trees? I didn't even know trees came in that color. The only prettier tree in my opinion are the jacarandas (which I don't think can grow here).

Anyway...I could go on and on, but I'll stop and say that you stopping for a moment (even a small one) before getting in your car for work in the morning, or just leaning down to touch the fresh snow in your yard is the exact definition of "stopping to smell the roses." Good for you. I do the same. Hopefully if we are still on this site in a few years, we can still say we do the same thing.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:48 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
That's my absolute favorite thing about Denver. When I was growing up in Seattle, Winter quite literally meant that there could be weeks (months even) when I didn't see the sun. Oh, I knew it was up there somewhere...most often a big ball of light behind the fog and clouds. Even summer sometimes was a disappointment. The entire city took a collective day off when the weather turned great. There would be at least an hour wait to get the boat onto Lake Washington. But, having grown up there, I never even noticed. It didn't bother me until I moved to Arizona.

Arizona. Perpetual sunshine. The joke there is that there are 2 seasons...Summer and August. Monsoon weather in July really heated things up because it not only stayed over 100 degrees at night, but then it got humid. That being said, I loved it. It took me nearly 2 years to break out of my Seattle habit of looking out the window to see the weather before getting dressed. My family even made fun of me after living there for nearly 7 years becuase when the temperature dropped to 70, I was wearing jeans and sweaters. Then I moved to Florida.

Florida. Loved it there, even with the humidity but the weather was always the same. It just got more humid. Sliding around on my shoes while walking and my clothes always being drenched just from being outside, but nonetheless, I loved it there. Then, we moved to Denver.

Denver has the best weather. We get actual seasons but while it may only be 20 degrees outside, the sun is shining. I learned my lesson during the last snowstorm and got what I think was actual eyeball burn (is there such a thing?). Went out and shoveled the sidewalk and driveway without sunglasses on. By the time I came in, my eyes would not dilate...seriously. I couldn't even look at the tv or read a book. Those symptoms lasted until I woke up the next morning. Yikes. The silver lining is that in all my years in Seattle, no one ever got eyeball burn. The sun was never that strong after a snowstorm! The fall here is awesome. The aspen trees are glorious. Winter is even nice because we get snow but never too many perpetual days of overcast skies. Spring...is there anything prettier than the crabapple trees? I didn't even know trees came in that color. The only prettier tree in my opinion are the jacarandas (which I don't think can grow here).

Anyway...I could go on and on, but I'll stop and say that you stopping for a moment (even a small one) before getting in your car for work in the morning, or just leaning down to touch the fresh snow in your yard is the exact definition of "stopping to smell the roses." Good for you. I do the same. Hopefully if we are still on this site in a few years, we can still say we do the same thing.
Wow, you've lived in quite a few radically different places! I've only been in three so far-- Denver (18 years, plus part of the year for the last 5), Phoenix (4 years), and LA (almost 1 year).

Jacarandas-- in your dreams. They are really common in southern California, and also Phoenix (though they bloom several months earlier in the spring in Phoenix compared to LA and SD for some reason). I believe the jacaranda is native to Mexico.

I just wish Denver had more evergreen type trees planted-- ponderosa pines, blue spruce, pinion pines, junipers. I'd even like to see more cactus around Denver-- big yucca plants with annual flowers grow naturally on the high plains, as you can see at Cherry Creek State park. It's nice to see a little bit of (dark) green even in the winter. I'm not a big fan of old planned neighborhoods in Denver with the tree canopy going over the street-- while in the summer it's nice, during the leaves-less part of the year (which in Denver is approx 7 months out of the year) it makes the street scene feel inescapably gloomy.

The3Ds, I'm sure you've seen the neighborhood Tallyn's Reach-- now that is exactly how I wish more Denver area communities looked. Tallyn's Reach really feels like a "Colorado" neighborhood in terms of home design and architecture, rather than an imitation midwest neighborhood. I also like some of the semi-rural/ exurban communities in terms of the homeowners there blend their landscaping in with the natural landscape-- places like Foxfield, Chenango, Douglas County and Elbert county west of Parker (when you drive out on Smoky Hill Rd past the southern limits of Aurora). I've tried to capture some of this in my photo tours in the past. I despise bluegrass turf lawns (which have no place in Denver's shortgrass prairie landscape), and all the fertilizers, pesticides, and lawn mowers that go along with it.

Last edited by vegaspilgrim; 04-03-2009 at 05:56 PM..

Old 04-03-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Wow, you've lived in quite a few radically different places! I've only been in three so far-- Denver (18 years, plus part of the year for the last 5), Phoenix (4 years), and LA (almost 1 year).

Jacarandas-- in your dreams. They are really common in southern California, and also Phoenix (though they bloom several months earlier in the spring in Phoenix compared to LA and SD for some reason). I believe the jacaranda is native to Mexico.

I just wish Denver had more evergreen type trees planted-- ponderosa pines, blue spruce, pinion pines, junipers. I'd even like to see more cactus around Denver-- big yucca plants with annual flowers grow naturally on the high plains, as you can see at Cherry Creek State park. It's nice to see a little bit of (dark) green even in the winter. I'm not a big fan of old planned neighborhoods in Denver with the tree canopy going over the street-- while in the summer it's nice, during the leaves-less part of the year (which in Denver is approx 7 months out of the year) it makes the street scene feel inescapably gloomy.

The3Ds, I'm sure you've seen the neighborhood Tallyn's Reach-- now that is exactly how I wish more Denver area communities looked.
Actually, there's more...I moved from Seattle to Spokane for college. Lived in Florence, Italy my junior year (study abroad), then ended up in Arizona for 7 years with my college roommates. Met and married my husband, got Air Force military orders to live in Germany for three years, moved back to Arizona, then to Florida and now here. Whew. Again, though...LOVED every minute of it. In addition, lived in Boston and NY for a few summers doing internships.

I don't remember Jacarandas in Arizona...where were they? I lived in Scottsdale and Avondale and have family in Chandler and Cave Creek. I do, however, remember my neighbor in Scottsdale deciding that he wanted a pretty maple tree in his yard (like the one he had in Minnesota of all things) so he planted one. He actualy kept it alive by absolutely drenching it with water every day. It was sparse but definitely a maple. Most of the neighbors were p#ssed.

As for evergreens, I'm not sure the Denver area would provide them adequate nourishment. After living in Arizona and Florida I was so excited to see pine trees in our mountains. But then I went to visit family a few weeks ago in Washington and forgot how absolutely thick and lush the forests are. I mean the forest is actually black in some areas. Wow. But, I wouldn't trade a minute of sunshine for the gloom of Seattle, even if it meant having super thick forests. Ours are just fine.

I have been to Tallyn's Reach. It is nice, but I am sure that SteveinDenver is about to lose his mind over your comment!!! Ha ha. Suburbia, no matter how nicely it's planned, is hell on earth for him.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:07 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
Quote:
I learned my lesson during the last snowstorm and got what I think was actual eyeball burn (is there such a thing?). Went out and shoveled the sidewalk and driveway without sunglasses on. By the time I came in, my eyes would not dilate...seriously. I couldn't even look at the tv or read a book. Those symptoms lasted until I woke up the next morning. Yikes.
Yes, there really is such a thing. It's often called snow blindness and is simply a UV burn to the surface of the eye. Fortunately, it usually heals within 24h, but can be quite painful. Another reason for UV protection to the eyes is long-term exposure is associated with other problems like cataracts and pterygia.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
That's my absolute favorite thing about Denver......
I was in Seattle every summer from 1989-1999. I know what you mean about the weather there. I remember when the rare 80-degree sunny day would occur, the whole city seemed to come out of hibernation. I think Seattle has perfect summertime weather, it's not hot at all, and I actually hate heat/sun (for the most part).

I don't know how you handled AZ and FL. I would go nuts living in both.

Quote:
Denver has the best weather. We get actual seasons but while it may only be 20 degrees outside, the sun is shining. I learned my lesson during the last snowstorm and got what I think was actual eyeball burn (is there such a thing?). Went out and shoveled the sidewalk and driveway without sunglasses on. By the time I came in, my eyes would not dilate...seriously. I couldn't even look at the tv or read a book. Those symptoms lasted until I woke up the next morning. Yikes.
When I was shoveling the 'blizzard' snow last Friday, I was sweating too much to keep my sunglasses on, so I took them off, and couldn't see anything when I walked into the house. Granted, the inability to see wore off after a few minutes, but was no fun while it lasted. Sorry you had to go through that. Next time get those sunglasses on!

Quote:
The sad thing is, in the mornings I'm not getting into my car, I'm getting out of it. I usually get home from work around sunrise.

I plan on being on this site as long as it's around, which I hope is forever. And I do hope to still be 'smelling the roses' by then as well.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:42 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
and I actually hate heat/sun (for the most part).
I'm sort of the same way. How are Denver's summers for you?

Old 04-04-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I'm sort of the same way. How are Denver's summers for you?
For me, they are better here than back in CA. It's not as hot, not as smoggy, and it cools off considerably at night, heck it even rains too.

Denver doesn't have my ideal summer weather (I think that would be Seattle, for me), but it is a step up, and is a relief from CA's summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver