Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 10:13 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,634 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Dearborn and watched Fairlane decline. There is no debating that it is a dangerous place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 12:44 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Meh, you feel that way about every place within a 25 mile radius of Detroit.
Exactly. I never met a person afraid to go to Fairlane with the fear that they would be mugged in the parking lot. Eastland Mall is more "dangerous" than Fairlane. I have been to much more scary shopping areas than Fairlane, (Warren & Conners for example).

Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times
I've been told Macomb Mall may actually be more dangerous on the whole than Eastland. More gun crime at Eastland, but Macomb definitely is creepy nowadays. They were even keeping the lot lights off at night for a while. Most SE MI malls aren't all that safe- I have been followed in the parking lot at Somerset North and at the former Tel-12.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Exactly. I never met a person afraid to go to Fairlane with the fear that they would be mugged in the parking lot. Eastland Mall is more "dangerous" than Fairlane. I have been to much more scary shopping areas than Fairlane, (Warren & Conners for example).
It's a ghetto mall. If you like ghetto malls, then more power to ya.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I have been to Fairlane a few times. It seems like any other mall I have been to. I really do not see a vast difference between any of them with a few excpetions. Fairlane has more black people at it than most malls I have been to, maybe that is why some presume "ghetto" (People who use that term need an education in what a Ghetto really is). I have been told Fairlane is dangrous at night. Not sure about that having never been there at night, except one time we went to a movie there. We were the only white people in the theater and it was really fun. I do not know whether that is a cultural thing or just chance, but the people in the theater were a blast. THey did to just sit there all stiff and slient, just watching. They talked to the chacters all the way throught the movie, yelled things like "Oh no you don't go in there, oh no your don't!" Some people were having full on loud conversations with the people in the movie.

If that is normal, I want to go to movies with all balck people more often. It made the movie way more fun.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:27 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
Ghetto= Too many black folks or black culture. So I'm guessing the mall down in Monroe or one in Windsor would be... Utopia???

Old 10-17-2012, 01:01 PM

Nah. More like run down, blighted, shady and attracts a lot of low-lifes.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:14 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Ghetto= Too many black folks or black culture. So I'm guessing the mall down in Monroe or one in Windsor would be... Utopia???
Funny thing is, last time I went to Devonshire in Windsor, there were teenagers fighting...

Old 10-17-2012, 04:36 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I went to that Monroe mall once. It is funny. There is not much there and hardly any people. It hardly qualifies as a mall. I forgot about that one. That is also different from the "all malls are the same" comment. I am destroying my own generalization. I have eliminated Somerset, Monroe, and 12 oaks. How many are left?

Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
The Mall of Monroe is practically on life support. The anchor spot that once housed JCPenney and then Steve and Barry's has been empty for years, Sears closed their anchor store there earlier this year leaving another huge, gaping, empty anchor spot, and the Elder Beerman just changed names to Carson's. Target is probably the main thing keeping this mall alive, and I have heard rumors of them wanting to leave the mall to build a free standing store on Telegraph Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit