Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:40 PM

67 posts, read 99,864 times

Advertisements

So, I moved here per October 1st and am excited about exploring. One of the things I need to figure out is malls. I don't often shop at malls, because I don't believe in paying retail :-). Most of my stuff is from thrift stores, but every once in a while a girl needs a mall day. At this point I am specifically looking for the best possible Target, for simple household kind of stuff. My friend took me to the Dearborn Target for a first run so I stocked up, but I'm going to need to go back to one soon, on my own, using, wait for it, public transportation! I already figured out how to get there and it looks very doable, just like I did in Seattle (1 hr to catch up on magazines or listen to music, no biggie) and this Target seems to be right by Farlane Towncenter so I'm good. But I live in New Center on the #23 busline and I just figured out this bus ends up at Northland Center. So I'm thinking about exploring that mall as well. It seems like it is a lesser mall than the Farlane one, but just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts about this.

And about taking the #23, except I doubt there will be anyone here who has ever ventured on that bus route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 08:48 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Fairlane is the far superior mall. It's definitely one of the 5 best malls in Detroit.

Northland itself has gone way downhill in the last 15 years. Other than the Macy's, Target and urban wear stores, there's nothing really there to brag about.

The Target at Northland however was recently renovated and is definitely pretty nice.

The Hamilton Avenue bus, unless the routes have changed since the budget cuts, does take you directly there.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,890,947 times
Northland sucks compared to other malls in the area. You would probably be much happier at Fairlane. Eastland mall is closer to you and has a target. Other ones you could check out is Twelve Oaks, Somerset, Great Lakes Crossing, Partridge Creek, and maybe Lakeside (haven't been there in quite some time). They all are spread out but you could look and see what type of stores you like there. Around you there is Macomb Mall, Eastland (which has a target), Oakland. All of them are quite mediocre though.

Here is a list of targets in MI you can find.
Target : Store Locator : State Result

Here is a list of the malls in the area.
Metro Detroit Shopping Malls

Hope this helps. Eventually you will figure out what you like and what you don't, just go out and explore these a bit.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:20 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,604,751 times
Most bus routes end/begin/have hubs at the malls. The only mall not accessible by bus is Twelve Oaks mall in Novi. But to me, that mall is a bit on the generic side (as well as everything else about Novi, but I digress).

I've never taken that bus but used to travel that way a lot growing up. Hamilton through Highland Park definitely used to see better days. But then when you get back into Detroit city limits, you go through Palmer Park and down Seven Mile which looks pretty decent relative to other areas in Detroit.

It's definitely been at least several years since I've last been to Northland but as far as I remember it wasn't really that special of a mall. But what is it? Like the oldest mall in Metro Detroit? It definitely feels like an old school mall the way I remember it.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:44 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,908,374 times
Northland is actually historically significant. It's one of the first malls in the USA.
MALL HALL OF FAME: Detroit's Northland Center

Old 10-15-2012, 11:57 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,072,391 times
If fairlane us the mall in dearborn then I don't know why all these people around hat area call it a crappy mall that has gone down hill. Some good malls in the area are somerset and partridge creek. Which has a fireplace in the middle as its a outdoor mall. I see you need public transportation. Can you drive? Thinking renting a car would be a better option for those days you need to get a lot of stuff.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:06 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,451,235 times
Twelve Oaks in Novi is awesome. Big, clean, and more stores than you can shake a stick at. I love that mall.......and this is a guy talking. Where do I turn in my man card?

Old 10-15-2012, 01:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
Twelve Oaks in Novi is awesome. Big, clean, and more stores than you can shake a stick at. I love that mall.......and this is a guy talking. Where do I turn in my man card?
It is funny how different people percieve malls. I hate 12 oaks, probably more than any other mall I can think of. It is cramped crowded and simply loaded with too many of the same stores. However i hate malls with a passion. I would prefer a four hour root canal than four hours shopping at a mall. I will say that for a mall, Somerset is nearly tolerable. Other malls are pretty much equally awful to me.

Your man card can be surrendered at Dunams in the fireams department. But if likeing malls is the worst thing you cna come up with- hang onto it for a while. Not sure if you noticed, but many of today's young "men" often wear make up and carry purses, get their nails done, and have no idea how to make a fire, change the oil in thier car and haven't a clue who Rambo is.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Northland sucks compared to other malls in the area. You would probably be much happier at Fairlane. Eastland mall is closer to you and has a target. Other ones you could check out is Twelve Oaks, Somerset, Great Lakes Crossing, Partridge Creek, and maybe Lakeside (haven't been there in quite some time). They all are spread out but you could look and see what type of stores you like there. Around you there is Macomb Mall, Eastland (which has a target), Oakland. All of them are quite mediocre though.

Here is a list of targets in MI you can find.
Target : Store Locator : State Result

Here is a list of the malls in the area.
Metro Detroit Shopping Malls

Hope this helps. Eventually you will figure out what you like and what you don't, just go out and explore these a bit.
I don't believe there are any direct transit routes from the New Center area to Macomb, Eastland or Oakland.

Personally, with the exception of Oakland, I wouldn't waste a trip to either of the aforementioned malls, even if I'm only 5-10 miles away from them. Oakland Mall has in fact been my "go to" mall.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Not sure if you noticed, but many of today's young "men" often wear make up and carry purses, get their nails done, and have no idea how to make a fire, change the oil in thier car and haven't a clue who Rambo is.
That's not necessarily a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit