Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:15 AM

85 posts, read 279,247 times

Advertisements

Thank you for this post! We are planning a move in a few months from the Toronto area and I am a nervous wreck! The move itself will be easy and I am excited at a new home however I am apprehensive of relocating to a state/city that has so much negativity (through these boards and other sites)...my husband just got back from a few days of business meetings. His impression (though he has been many times as an executive in the auto industry but never really looked at it from a resident's perspective) is simple - not as clean as Toronto...the smoking in public places sucks (which I am not impressed as I enjoy going to a bar or for a meal and eating/drinking in a smoke free enviornment) and not sure of the recylcing and composting programs, though he didn't see any evidence of it (we are big into this as our children are drilled with the Reduce, Re-use, Recycle and Compost mentality in school) I hope there is something.

Though I am still concerned about the segregation mentality, or whatever you wish to call it, as I enjoy my children coming back from school and telling me they learned what Dihwali (sp?) was, and how the Chinese New Year is celebrated, or the explanation behind the Jewish holy days in the fall. THIS is what I love about Toronto, the diversity, the teachings and the tolerance. It is disconcerting that in the year we are in there is still so much tension...but perhaps this too will turn out to be a good lesson for my children and ultimately, us.

Other than that he said I would like it. I have little trouble meeting friends, and as a Pro Trainer, I can re-start my business there when the time suits us. I am excited about the culture and history and even more exicted to visit the northern state as we enjoy the outdoors. Hockey? Our kids have had skates on almost as early as shoes and my husband has built a rink in the backyard for many years, and we are looking forward to acutally SEEING a game ( Toronto tickets, though they are awful right now, still manage to sell out unless you want to fork over $100 a ticket for decent seats) ... I LOVE winter, skiing, hockey, sledding, and all things winter. Albeit, I also love the summer, boating, beaches, hiking and camping. So with this in mind, I think Michigan will suite us just fine. And being a 3 hour (give or take 30mins) from my family is a bonus.....

Looking forward to the move and thanks for all the points will be def. adding to the Pro side of my list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 08:27 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Downtown is pretty decent and there are a lot of neat things to do. Ann Arbor is also a very fun city (lots of sporting events there too).

The "badness" of Detroit is overblown. Parts are bad, parts are ok. Stay out of the bad parts. They are easy to recognize. Surrounding most suburbs are basically safe. There are a lot of really neat things to do and see, especially if you are outdoor oriented.

The economy is not in good shape. The big three automakers are in trouble and their outlook is not good. Many other businesses are dependant on the automakers. Things are tough in Michigan but probably not as bad as many people make out (especially on these boards).
Some people will tell you that Detroit is great and things are not that bad. Others will tell you that if you go into Detroit you should wear a body bag to save the coroner some time (these are people who have not been downtown in years). Some people say that there are no jobs here. Others say that there are jobs if you look outside the auto industry (and even within it).

I do nto see how the big three can recover. They are being destroyed by promises to union workers made in the 60s, 70s and 80s when they thought that the automakers would continue to grow forever. Now they cannot afford to keep those promises. the only thing likely to save them will be filing bankruptcy to get them out of those obligations. The big three will probably continue to exist, but they will no longer be the big three. Toyota may already have passed up GM for the number one spot.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Downtown is pretty decent and there are a lot of neat things to do. Ann Arbor is also a very fun city (lots of sporting events there too).

The "badness" of Detroit is overblown. Parts are bad, parts are ok. Stay out of the bad parts. They are easy to recognize. Surrounding most suburbs are basically safe. There are a lot of really neat things to do and see, especially if you are outdoor oriented.

The economy is not in good shape. The big three automakers are in trouble and their outlook is not good. Many other businesses are dependant on the automakers. Things are tough in Michigan but probably not as bad as many people make out (especially on these boards).
Some people will tell you that Detroit is great and things are not that bad. Others will tell you that if you go into Detroit you should wear a body bag to save the coroner some time (these are people who have not been downtown in years). Some people say that there are no jobs here. Others say that there are jobs if you look outside the auto industry (and even within it).

I do nto see how the big three can recover. They are being destroyed by promises to union workers made in the 60s, 70s and 80s when they thought that the automakers would continue to grow forever. Now they cannot afford to keep those promises. the only thing likely to save them will be filing bankruptcy to get them out of those obligations. The big three will probably continue to exist, but they will no longer be the big three. Toyota may already have passed up GM for the number one spot.

Toyota has made it to #2 as of a report I heard on the radio/news 2 weeks ago.....thanks for your insight.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,763 times
I love Michigan. Simply because it is home. I have lived in Boston and the panhandle of Florida and I enjoyed both. But the Michigan experience goes beyond words for me. Our economy is the worst in the states and yes, it's cold. But the people here are right on. We know how to go about life no matter how bleak it gets.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:57 PM

47 posts, read 121,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
There are certainly many threads here, and many are not that positive on Michigan. However, when I've been there, I've had a great time! I've spent most of my time in the Detroit metro area, along with Ann Arbor and Lansing... always enjoyed it all. I've wandered around the Detroit suburbs and met friendly people who started chatting with me once they saw I was wearing a hockey-related shirt or jacket. I've been to the downtown area around the Hockeytown Cafe and Comerica Park, where I was welcomed greatly by the locals. I've had parking attendants carry on half-hour conversations with me, started simply because I looked like someone he used to know. I've had a great time with the fans at the Joe when the Wings are in town. I've enjoyed the OHL out in Plymouth (if you're a hockey fan, go -- it's great hockey). I've enjoyed shopping at Great Lakes Crossing.

Basically, my impression is positive. My question is -- what is it like to live in Michigan? Is it easy for newcomers to meet people in day-to-day life? Are people as friendly as they appear? And is the economy really that bleak, or is that a creation of the media?

Thanks!

I have lived in michigan my entire life untill 3 years ago. I can honestly say i never thought i would leave. theres lots of stuff to do and you can find most any store your looking for. The problem is the econmy. Jobs are Just not there unless you want to work a low paying job or have a great skill that is really needed, But for the average Joe finding jobs are hard. I lived in sterling hts my whole life and i do miss it, However after moving away for a job ive come to realize that alot of other nice places are alot cheaper to live than the suburbs of detroit. And jobs are alot easier to find. If the jobs come back and the econmy Picks up i may move back

Old 01-10-2008, 04:56 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker123 View Post
Thank you for this post! We are planning a move in a few months from the Toronto area and I am a nervous wreck! The move itself will be easy and I am excited at a new home however I am apprehensive of relocating to a state/city that has so much negativity (through these boards and other sites)...my husband just got back from a few days of business meetings. His impression (though he has been many times as an executive in the auto industry but never really looked at it from a resident's perspective) is simple - not as clean as Toronto...the smoking in public places sucks (which I am not impressed as I enjoy going to a bar or for a meal and eating/drinking in a smoke free enviornment) and not sure of the recylcing and composting programs, though he didn't see any evidence of it (we are big into this as our children are drilled with the Reduce, Re-use, Recycle and Compost mentality in school) I hope there is something.

Though I am still concerned about the segregation mentality, or whatever you wish to call it, as I enjoy my children coming back from school and telling me they learned what Dihwali (sp?) was, and how the Chinese New Year is celebrated, or the explanation behind the Jewish holy days in the fall. THIS is what I love about Toronto, the diversity, the teachings and the tolerance. It is disconcerting that in the year we are in there is still so much tension...but perhaps this too will turn out to be a good lesson for my children and ultimately, us.

Other than that he said I would like it. I have little trouble meeting friends, and as a Pro Trainer, I can re-start my business there when the time suits us. I am excited about the culture and history and even more exicted to visit the northern state as we enjoy the outdoors. Hockey? Our kids have had skates on almost as early as shoes and my husband has built a rink in the backyard for many years, and we are looking forward to acutally SEEING a game ( Toronto tickets, though they are awful right now, still manage to sell out unless you want to fork over $100 a ticket for decent seats) ... I LOVE winter, skiing, hockey, sledding, and all things winter. Albeit, I also love the summer, boating, beaches, hiking and camping. So with this in mind, I think Michigan will suite us just fine. And being a 3 hour (give or take 30mins) from my family is a bonus.....

Looking forward to the move and thanks for all the points will be def. adding to the Pro side of my list
It's too bad you've become a nervous wreck because of negative things on message boards. By nature people love to complain, and with Michigan's bad economy right now, people are complaining A LOT. Michigan is a great place, that just has a bad economy, yes jobs are important, but if you can get a job here and be happy go for it. I've had 3 friends move out of this state in the last year, 2 to Wyoming, 1 to New York....and all are now moving back here. My uncle's going to retire from his job in Florida, and he and his wife are going to move here and build a house. Hope your move goes well.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:54 PM

8 posts, read 39,273 times
I've lived in the Detroit Metro area my entire life, and I don't like it at all. The only good aspects of Michigan arebgood sports teams, a nice, yet very small section of Detroit <Greektown-Ford Field-Comerica area>, and nice lakes. Other than that, I hate Michigan. The sun almost never shines, the weather is cold and snowy, the economy is terrible (can't find a job to save my life), the roads are disasterous, and the lakes are only enjoyable 3 months out of the year, so long as it isn't raining or storming. My advice? If you already moved here, then LEAVE. If you plan on moving here, then DON'T! Just being honest.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedtoleavemichigan View Post
I've lived in the Detroit Metro area my entire life, and I don't like it at all. The only good aspects of Michigan arebgood sports teams, a nice, yet very small section of Detroit <Greektown-Ford Field-Comerica area>, and nice lakes. Other than that, I hate Michigan. The sun almost never shines, the weather is cold and snowy, the economy is terrible (can't find a job to save my life), the roads are disasterous, and the lakes are only enjoyable 3 months out of the year, so long as it isn't raining or storming. My advice? If you already moved here, then LEAVE. If you plan on moving here, then DON'T! Just being honest.

I am surprised by the weather? I north of Toronto and though cold, we've sunshine?? I love the winter as mentioned, the skiing, skating, hockey....etc...we also love the summer too and am not looking for tropical weather. The choice to move there, however, is not an option. When you are in the automotive industry (and the level my husband is at) Detroit is the center of the universe. You may laugh at that statement, but to get to the professional level he has in mind, this move is a must. And what's not to gain? The company will cover all expenses, moving, lodging, fees, incidentals, rentals, mileage, bridge mortgage...whatever it will not cost me a cent to move. We are going to purchase a home in a market that is, well, not great, allowing us to get a home for much, much less....taxes there are lower (here? Sales tax dropped to 13%....from 15%....income tax? you don't want to know)....there are some things not that great, cost of university, infrastructure sure, but the gains we will get (even for a few years) is worth it....and we don't plan on living in Detriot anymore than I would live in downtown TO -- not family oriented enough for me

But thanks for your insights.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:25 PM

186 posts, read 588,215 times
M-Detroit is a friendly area but it has a very, very bad economy.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:30 PM

77 posts, read 238,363 times
How are things going with you firecraker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit