Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:33 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times

Advertisements

I ride my bike or walk to the supermarket, if I know that whatever I need that day, will fit into my backpack (such as a half gallon of milk, or if they're having a 1-day sale on ground sirloin, or a 6-pack of pepsi for beloved spouse). If I have to drive, I park at the opposite end of the lot.

I take the stairs whenever it's 3 flights or less.

The only sweetened drink that I consume on a daily basis, is my morning cup of coffee with 2 sugars and a splash of whole milk. Other than that, I drink unflavored normal plain "spring" water throughout the day. (Whether it really comes from a spring is debateable. Our tapwater tastes horrible and distilled water feels funny on the tongue, so I drink Poland Springs non-carbonated water).

I ride my bike on nice days, just because I enjoy doing it. Usually it's only around a mile, sometimes I'll take a longer ride and it'll be 3-5 miles.

When the lawnmower is working, I -insist- that I be the one to mow the lawn. Hubby uses the tractor. I prefer walking with the upright mower.

I use my own herbs from my organic herb garden in my cooking.

I -love- whole snap peas and eat them for snacks. Low calorie, no fat, low sugar, low carb, decent fiber and other nutritional value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 04:44 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
I never stop looking for healthier options to try in food. If I like something that is just to heavy for my weight I look up recipes or articles on how to have my cake and eat it too.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:45 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
One thing I discovered this week, is when I want to eat egg whites (for protein), I hard boil the eggs, and place them in the refrigerator. Then once they are cold, they easily separate from the shell, and the hardened yolk easily separates from the white. So now I boil around 12 eggs at a time in a single pot, and then place them all in the refrigerator, and then I can have around 3 egg whites a day for the next 4 days. Not only is it convenient to just grab ready to eat hard boiled eggs from the fridge whenever I want, it also saves money in cooking costs by making 4 days worth of eggs using just a single pot of boiling water.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:22 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,773 times
The first two probably had as big of an impact as anything!:

I stopped drinking pop/soda of any kind
I replaced lattes and/or mochas with black coffee
Eat more frequent, smaller meals (breakfast 1, breakfast 2, SMALL lunch, snack, dinner)
Take the stairs

And IMO egg yolks get a bad wrap - I go for the whole hard boiled egg.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
And IMO egg yolks get a bad wrap - I go for the whole hard boiled egg.
A single large egg yolk contains 215mg of cholesterol, which is 71% of the daily recommended value for a 2000 calorie diet.

A single large egg white contains 0mg cholesterol.

The white contains 3.5 g of protein, and the yolk contains 2.8 g of protein.

As for me, I plan to stick with egg whites only, and play it safe concerning potential risks of contracting heart disease from consuming too much cholesterol.

Another thing I do to keep my weight in check (I already reached my weight goal), is to pack a small cooler with food for all my meals when I go out for the day. I bring things like 6oz fat free yogurts, fruit, tuna or turkey sandwiches, baby carrots, almonds, and balanced nutrition bars.

This way I know exactly how many calories I am eating, and the precise nutrition value of all my food.

It also saves me a lot of money because it is much cheaper to buy and prepare my own food than it is to eat out.

And like the previous poster roneb also mentioned, I eat around 6 small meals (approx 200 - 300 calories per meal) every 2 - 3 hours, instead of 3 large meals.

Last edited by RD5050; 08-05-2011 at 07:47 PM..

Old 08-06-2011, 04:41 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
As for me, I plan to stick with egg whites only, and play it safe concerning potential risks of contracting heart disease from consuming too much cholesterol.
Why not just get your cholesterol levels checked periodically instead? I'll bet you'll find that at your level of fitness you could eat several whole eggs a day and you wouldn't notice any elevation in it. The link between cholesterol consumed and cholesterol levels in your blood as well as the dangers of heart disease are overblown, particularly in the non-overweight and physically fit who don't smoke.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Why not just get your cholesterol levels checked periodically instead? I'll bet you'll find that at your level of fitness you could eat several whole eggs a day and you wouldn't notice any elevation in it. The link between cholesterol consumed and cholesterol levels in your blood as well as the dangers of heart disease are overblown, particularly in the non-overweight and physically fit who don't smoke.
You may be right concerning my level of fitness, but I'm not one to take chances with heart disease.

To me, it's just not worth the risk.

I stopped eating egg yolks over 6 months ago, and I don't miss them even the least bit.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:50 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
You may be right concerning my level of fitness, but I'm not one to take chances with heart disease.

To me, it's just not worth the risk.

I stopped eating egg yolks over 6 months ago, and I don't miss them even the least bit.
What makes you so worried about heart disease? Do you have a history of it in your family? Do you smoke? A visit to a cardiologist for a stress test/ultrasound once in awhile would probably allay your fears. He'd probably tell you a few yokes won't make a hill of beans difference for someone in your situation.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:28 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
Default Smile!

I use those Crest white strips after dinner to stop me from snacking in the evening. AND it makes my teeth whiter which just makes me feel better about myself which carries into treating myself better by eating the right things . . . . . It's win win!

Old 08-07-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
What makes you so worried about heart disease? Do you have a history of it in your family? Do you smoke? A visit to a cardiologist for a stress test/ultrasound once in awhile would probably allay your fears. He'd probably tell you a few yokes won't make a hill of beans difference for someone in your situation.
I do have one family member who had heart issues, but that person's issue may have been caused by stress and a poor diet. I am not aware that heart disease runs in my family. No, I never smoked in my life.

As far as egg yokes go, I'd rather just play it safe now than be sorry later.

If a single egg yoke contains 71% of the RDA of cholesterol, then why even take the chance? There are plenty of other ways to get protein without eating yolks. Eggs are cheap enough that I can eat two egg whites and get more protein than I'd get with one whole egg.

I appreciate your advice on getting tested by cardiologists, but I'll just stick to egg whites.

I regularly test my own blood pressure and resting heart rate myself using a wrist digital device, and my numbers look very good at this time. They were higher 6 months ago before I switched to eating 100% healthy foods, and began regular workouts at the health club, so I know my current diet and exercise have greatly improved my overall health. I feel that I am currently in the best physical condition that I have ever been in during my entire life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss