Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:40 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Why not just get your cholesterol levels checked periodically instead? I'll bet you'll find that at your level of fitness you could eat several whole eggs a day and you wouldn't notice any elevation in it. The link between cholesterol consumed and cholesterol levels in your blood as well as the dangers of heart disease are overblown, particularly in the non-overweight and physically fit who don't smoke.

The thing about whole eggs is, while they are high in cholesterol, they are fairly good in unsat/sat fat ratio, which is more important to CVD - but OTOH my understanding is cholesterol intake still matters. I have a family history of CVD, and had (in December) high LDL and low HDL. So I have made some effort to avoid yolks in foods where they arent really needed, like scrambled eggs, but I dont worry about the occasional hardboiled whole egg. Im not a huge fan of eggs in forms other than scrambled anyway though. But Passover just isnt Passover without hard boiled eggs, and on that holiday I indulged (within the PLAN!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 07:21 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
The thing about whole eggs is, while they are high in cholesterol, they are fairly good in unsat/sat fat ratio, which is more important to CVD - but OTOH my understanding is cholesterol intake still matters. I have a family history of CVD, and had (in December) high LDL and low HDL. So I have made some effort to avoid yolks in foods where they arent really needed, like scrambled eggs, but I dont worry about the occasional hardboiled whole egg. Im not a huge fan of eggs in forms other than scrambled anyway though. But Passover just isnt Passover without hard boiled eggs, and on that holiday I indulged (within the PLAN!)
You can add to this that a large egg yolk contains 59 calories and 2.8 grams of protein, and 5 grams of fat, while the egg white is only 17 calories, and 3.5 grams of protein, and 0 grams of fat.

So if you are looking to cut calories, and limit your fats, then eating the egg white only is the way to go. Especially if you plan to eat several eggs in one meal.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:42 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
You can add to this that a large egg yolk contains 59 calories and 2.8 grams of protein, and 5 grams of fat, while the egg white is only 17 calories, and 3.5 grams of protein, and 0 grams of fat.

So if you are looking to cut calories, and limit your fats, then eating the egg white only is the way to go. Especially if you plan to eat several eggs in one meal.
Except that when I have eggs for breakfast they're pretty much the main event so I don't mind calories as I shoot for 300-400 calories with breakfast.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:42 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Egg yolks are also the egg's source of B vitamins, vitamin D, iron and other nutrients, if that sort of thing is important to you. If I'm making eggs at home sometimes I'll do one whole egg with two egg whites and scramble them, so I don't lose out on those vitamins. My doctor was saying that there's really no need, that studies are now showing that eggs don't increase risk heart disease.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:55 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,615 times
*I've started with eating a bowl of boiled vegetables before each meal, then it's easier to stick to a smaller portion.
*I walk larger parts of what I could drive during my shifts as a guard.
*I buy small packs of cottage chese and eat one for each in-between meal, either that or 3 boiled eggs, and I eat the yolks too, cholesterol is a building block for testosterone, don't wanna miss out on that!
There have been times when I ate up to 12 whole eggs/day, cholesterol is simply not that big of a deal if you live an otherwise healthy lifestyle.
*I've cut down breakfast from 1200-1500 kcal to 500~, this is big though....can't wait to get back to bulking.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My doctor was saying that there's really no need, that studies are now showing that eggs don't increase risk heart disease.
I think that as they study this more, they're going to conclude that nothing you eat significantly increases heart disease risk in a physically fit non-smoker with normal blood pressure and a correctly functioning liver.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 08-12-2011 at 08:21 AM..

Old 08-12-2011, 08:13 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
What are some of the "little" things that you do to help with all the big and major stuff that you already do to help with your weight loss/fitness improvement?

I got to thinking about this today when instead of waiting with a bunch of other folks at the elevator in the parking garage, I took the stairs. When I arrived on the 4th floor the elevator of folks opened and one dude was like "See, you could just waited and you wouldnt have had to walk those stairs" I said "I enjoy walking the stairs it keeps me sharp and under 200 pounds instead of a fat boy like you are".

Some of the little things I do are:

Take the stairs whenever possible instead of elevator or escalator.
Park my car near the outskirts of the parking lot instead of trying to find a close spot.
Order small no whip mocha from Starbucks instead of med or venti w/whip.
Have my Starbucks only once or twice per month.
Use half teaspoon of sugar or NO sugar in my coffee.
Never snack on sugary foods or fruit (fruit is not a free food because of the sugar content).
Never buy or keep soft drinks in the house. I drink water with all my meals.
I never participate in office potlucks. Im a bit of a germaphobe and dont want to eat other peoples cooking.
Do something physical before going to bed each night. Stretch, yoga, sex, situps, squats, etc. I always do something/anything.

What are some of the things you all do?
In the winter, I shovel with the amigos for fun, though they do it for money. I more or less volunteer for free with my neighbours.

Terrific workout Particularly when the idiots shut the gym down.

And I commute and run to the train at least 4 times a week. Guess I am always in workout mode

Old 08-12-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I think that as they study this more, they're going to conclude that nothing you eat significantly increases heart disease risk in a physically fit non-smoker with normal blood pressure and a correctly functioning liver.

that maybe, but you cant get that from the egg thing. the thing that there is the most solid evidence is connected to CVD is the sat fat/unsat fat ratio, and egg yolks happen to be pretty good on that.

I think its more likely that further studies will confirm the importance of the sat fat/unsat fat ratio.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I think its more likely that further studies will confirm the importance of the sat fat/unsat fat ratio.
I'm highly skeptical, considering most of the fat my ancestors ate (butter, eggs, milk, lamb and beef) was saturated and they lived long lives. They didn't eat vegetable oil and margarine or separate the yolks from their eggs.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 08-12-2011 at 07:55 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I'm highly skeptical, considering most of the fat my ancestors ate (butter, eggs, milk, lamb and beef) was saturated and they lived long lives. They didn't eat vegetable oil and margarine or separate the yolks from their eggs.

Recent ancestors? farmers? paleolithic ancestors?

You may have lucky genetics. If you know exactly what your ancestors ate, and it worked, good for you.

However science works with data. Most preindustrial people ate a lot of vegetables, fruits and whole grains, and were much more active than people today are. And most ate smaller portions, mostly due to economic necessity.

BTW, Im under the impression that modern grain fed beef (and lamb?) has different ratios of the various fatty acids than grass fed beef did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss