Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:27 PM

124 posts, read 666,026 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone out there who could possibly private message me a copy of the old, original Weight Watchers Plan circa 1966 - 1973. It was a simple little plan in a slim, pink and white pamphet, only a few pages long. I kept mine for years, but must have thrown it out when we moved several years ago. If no one can send me a copy, maybe those of us who remember it can put our heads together to recreate it. I remember that you had to drink 64 ounces of water a day, and there was a list of free foods that you could have as much of as you wanted, like celery and lettuce. I can't remember how many servings of fruit you were supposed to have, nor exactly how many ounces of protein, but someone told me that thought it was 12.

Mostly I remember that it was easy, and everybody I knew who tried it lost weight.

Thanks.

Mimi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 39,811 times
Default Original Weight Watchers Program

I believe we women could have a total of 10 proteins a day. Only 2 breads, and they were limited to white or wheat bread only. 3 Fruits, 1 TBSP fat, 16 oz powdered milk. 5 fish meals a week and 1 liver. There were no restrictions on eggs and only 4 oz of cheese a week, I think. Lots of water, too. All green vegetables including peas were unlimited.

But you couldn't have: banannas, spaghetti, rice, cereal, real milk, butter, sugar, ketchup....
Moderator cut: no advertising
Good luck,

Kris

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 11-27-2007 at 05:32 AM.. Reason: no advertising

Old 11-27-2007, 07:39 AM

Default Thank you - I already found a copy

Thank you Kris. Since I posted, I was able to obtain a copy of the original Weight Watchers Cookbook (1966) which includes the original Weight Watchers plan. After reviewing the plan, I decided I wasn't quite ready to tackle yet another "diet" so I have continued my own plan of eliminating sugar and eating smaller portions. I gave up fried foods years ago so there was nothing to cut back in this area. My weight loss is slow but steady -- I've been losing between 1/4 - 1 pound per week for a total of 7 pounds since I first posted. I have quite a bit going on in my life right now, so am not ready to follow the stricter discipline of a "diet." As soon as things settle down (hopefully after the holidays) I plan to try the original WW diet for a couple of months and see if I can boost my weight loss to 1 - 1-1/2 pounds per week.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 39,721 times
Smile original weight watcher plan

Mimi read your post would love to know were to get a copy of the old weight watcher's plan. Did real well on it don't like the point plan. Help please.

Thanks

Old 12-29-2007, 05:52 AM

Default Original WW plan

Hi deltadawn: I found a copy of the original Weight Watcher's cookbook by Jean Nidetch - 1966 edition - at Amazon.com through their reseller's program. Just go to Amazon.com, type in Weight Watcher's Cookbook, and you will get a list of choices. I just checked, and there are at least 2 choices that return 1966 edition - you MUST get that edition for the original diet - all future cookbooks contain updated diets.

The first correct entry came up as #17 on my list where there were 13 used and new from $1.75. The second one was #25 where it says there are 13 used and new from $1.00. I think the one I bought was $1.00 and I paid about $2.00 for shipping. It was in perfect condition and I had it in less than a week. You pay Amazon, and they pay the reseller. If you have never ordered from a reseller through Amazon before, be sure to buy from someone who is reputable - lots of sales with a high degree (at least 95%) of customer satisfaction. I've successfully ordered many used books this way. You could also see if they have it at your library - again, be sure it is the 1966 edition. None of our local libraries had that original edition.

Good luck with your quest for a slimmer, healthier deltadawn in 2008!! I'm still losing my little bit of weight each week -- have now lost about 10 pounds, but hope to start on the old WW plan after this weekend when we are finished with our last major remodeling job (bathroom) on our home.

Please post back and let me know if you were able to obtain a copy of the book.

Mimi2007

Old 12-30-2007, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 39,675 times
Default The old original WW diet.

Hi, I did the old original WW diet in 1972, I still have the information. You can email me. It was easier to follow but ridigid. I am one who hates doing journals and counting. But even on the old one You had to do a journal. Aftr all these years I am now again needing to loose. Now need to to get with it. It is now a health reason.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:32 PM

5 posts, read 94,152 times
Thumbs up Original Weight Watchers Plan

I found a copy on line, I'm afraid to post a link, but if someone is interested, give me an email and I will send a copy. I bought the book and have hunted like crazy for this thing. I'm going to do my best not to lose it again.
Linda

Old 01-14-2008, 06:08 PM

Default Tried it - can't do it

Well, I finally tried the original WW diet. It is not just low fat, but nearly fat-free -- I was starving -- and I can see why they've changed their diet to a healthier, well-balanced plan. I guess when I was young and tried it, I had a lot more stamina and youthful determination. This time, I was only able to stay on it for 5 days and then went back to my own healthy eating plan - smaller portions without sugar, potatoes or white bread. I'm still only losing 1/4 - 1/2 pound weekly, but I feel wonderful and have lots of energy. It will take me a lot longer at this rate but it is a way of life, not a diet.

Good luck all.

Mimi

Old 02-23-2008, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 39,175 times
I too am looking for a previous WW plan that worked amazingly for me 10 years ago. It was very simple, just mark off how many fruits, protein, fat, water, veggies, but I can't remember how many of each. I would sure like to find one of the booklets or the info. to help me get re-motivated. This was the plan just before they changed to points and Fergie. Does anyone have info that could help me? I have spent time looking on the internet but to no avail.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:21 AM

1,678 posts, read 2,545,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrie127 View Post
Hi, I did the old original WW diet in 1972, I still have the information. You can email me. It was easier to follow but ridigid. I am one who hates doing journals and counting. But even on the old one You had to do a journal. Aftr all these years I am now again needing to loose. Now need to to get with it. It is now a health reason.
1972 was the year I first joined WW...I remember thinking at that time that $2.00 a week was a kind of high! But I did lose 30 pounds...I remember how thrilled I was when they finally let us add peanut butter to our diet! I gained and lost many times over the years...and finally got serious a couple years ago...got to my goal weight finally this past September!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss